[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - road noise? i dont know..
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

road noise? i dont know..

road noise? i dont know..

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 am

so i took my solara into toyota over a month ago to get some things done. everything seemed fine, stock tires were balding a bit in the front so i figured the road noise was comming from them. i replaced my tires pretty recently and i still have the road noise. if i stay under 60 mph its not so bad but once i go over pushing towards 80, i have to blast my music. i barely can hear my music or even the cp-e intake...anyone know what it could be? i have 95,000+ miles on the car. all maintenance that needs to be done has been done.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am

Jack up the car and check the bearings.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:48 am

well dont bearing have like a squeeling noise? the sound that comes from my car sounds like road/tire noise...i gotta take my car in to toyota again but i'd like to try and find out what it could be before i go.

also since im living at a new place and with my work hours..i dont have time to lift the car and check the bearings..
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:54 pm

anybody might know whats wrong??
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby System_Crash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Well wheel bearings can make different noises depending what and where its wearing. Best thing to do would be to check thoes first. Secondly have you been rotating thoes tires every other oil change? third I would consider taking it to a shop and have them test drive while you're in the car.
Pearl White 2004 Solara V6 90,000 miles

System_Crash
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:31 pm

i guess the bearings could possibly be the problem. tires are brand new. ill get my boy at toyota to test drive the car and see what he says. how much wheel bearings cost to be replaced?
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby System_Crash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:44 pm

Anyone work at a Yoder shop ?
I'd have no clue
Pearl White 2004 Solara V6 90,000 miles

System_Crash
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

same thing

Postby stone23 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 pm

i Had same problem one time took it to the shop and they couldnt figure it out after awhile it went away i dont even know wat happened lol
stone23
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:46 pm

i have a freind that works at toyota but he wasnt in when i called earlier.

i would love for the noie to go away but that doesnt always mean the problem is solved..gotta get this fixed asap..
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Doing a full layer of sound deadener inside the cabin will help with road noise aswell.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm stumped!! Being that I doubt you have gaping holes in your floorboard I'll throw some things to think about....

*What type of new tires do you have? New tires with aggressive tread will cause more road noise than your stockies--as will too soft or too hard a rubber.

*Remember the old saying 'all things being equal....their not.' Assembly plants are given measurement tolerance ranges to abide by, not one absolute measurement. Although fit and finish will visually match the next Solara, a half millimeter off in key places will let more road noise seep into the cabin (e.g. less sealant in the wiring conduits through the firewall, trace misalignment in the door jamb, etc.)

*All engines just gain decibels as they age no matter how much you pamper the engine in oil changes, primo fuel and preventive maintenance. Valves, lifters and other engine internals wear and/or age. That's not to say your engine won't still run smoother than the tongue of a $500 hooker, it will be more audible than physical......kinda like a $2 hooker. Also, if you had any major engine work done recently, there is a wear-in period that also may be possible.

I know my thoughts are a stretch but just throwin' it out there if the bearings aren't the culprit. I do think you have a valid complaint if you can't even drown out the road noise with the stereo blastin'. :-?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Biggi_e » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:25 pm

so i went to the dealership earlier and my boy got someone to check it out, left front bearing is pretty much done. replacing it for total of $320. not as bad as i thought it would be. what would normal cost be?
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Midias wrote:Jack up the car and check the bearings.

+1

Glad you have it figured out. I would call around and try to find the best price.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm

well my guy at toyota is hooking me up. it should be around 500ish if we went thru the shop, there doing it as a side job for me and discounted price on the part. so i dont think its that bad of a deal.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm

good call on the bearings too :D
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5