[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Key Remote
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Key Remote

Key Remote

Postby vice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Lost one of mine. I guess the only thing to do is go to the dealer to get a replacement. Any idea on cost?
vice
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby vice » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Should have done this before, found a couple of places on the internet that sell them from $39 used, $69 new. Also sites say dealers charge $189 for them.
vice
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gadgetjq » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:36 am

vice wrote:Should have done this before, found a couple of places on the internet that sell them from $39 used, $69 new. Also sites say dealers charge $189 for them.

Vice,

Quick heads up, be a little careful of the E-Bay items. Some are worded very carefully so you 'think' you're getting both an ignition key and a remote. While there may be a key of some sort in the package (or not) it probably won't work in your ignition, only in the trunk or door after you have it cut.

Be sure any remote you order is for your year car. There may also be an ID number you have to match (it's on the back of the OEM remote).

It just pays to be careful and read the post thoroughly.

Cheers
Gadgetjq
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby D-Style » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 am

If all you are looking for is a replacement keyless entry part, I bought some off ebay for ~$20 shipped before.

you can find instructions on how to program them on the net.
D-Style
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby vice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for the answers. I ended up going to my dealer for just the key, $79 with a discount coupon. At some point I think I will order a remote off ebay because of the low price (14.99 used), dealers are over $100 plus $40 to program it.
vice
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby reance » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:17 am

reance
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Projex0 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am

Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby otter111a » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

I used "freeprogramremotes" from ebay for the remote part. It arrived in 2 days and it works just fine. ~$20
The guy also sells keys for cheap. But I think you need to have a working key to program a new key.
2007 Convertible SE
Red
otter111a
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoLarry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 pm

When I got my 04 Solara from a used car dealership it had 1 key and an aftermarket remote (remote starter and alarm, Code Alarm brand I think). I hate using the remote because the way it's set up I can lock it with the remote, which sets the alarm, but the only way I can unlock it with the remote is if I hit the remote start first, then unlock it.

There was no instruction book with the alarm, so I took the car to a local alarm installer and they said it was a Code Alarm brand, an older unit, and that the button installed on the dash is some sort of bluetooth, they didn't have time to look it over but said that they may be able to help me in a month or two.

So lately I've been locking it and unlocking it by the key...every once in a while I'll forget and lock it with the remote, and unlock with the key, and the horn will honk honk honk honk till I hit the disarm button.

My question is: can I buy a replacement OEM remote and have it work? Also, is there any way to visually tell if the key I have is a transponder key? I assume if it unlocks and starts the car that it is. If I buy a spare do I need to make sure that it's a transponder key also, and do I need to have it programmed at the dealer?

1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoLarry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 am

I see that some of the remotes sold on EBay tell you to look on the back of your remote for the FCC ID#, mine didn't come with the factory remote.....what is the ID# for the factory remote on a 2004 Solara?
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5