[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Timing belt...is it really neccessary to change at 60K?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Timing belt...is it really neccessary to change at 60K?

Timing belt...is it really neccessary to change at 60K?

Postby mattyboyl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 am

I bring this up because I am at the 60K mark and I understand that Toyotas are built like tanks. Are there any horror stories regarding timing belts snapping and destroying the engine? I understand that maintainence is good insurance, but I wanted to get a consensus here on the board regarding whether 60K was too soon or whether this is something that should just be checked routinely and when there is noticable wear, replace it?
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Biggi_e » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

no i dont think it is. i got mine done around close to 90k its up to you though.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gangis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:51 am

It depends on which engine you have. The 4cyl has a timing chain so it doesn't need to be replaced. However, the 3.3L V6 on the Gen2/2.5 is an interference engine with a timing belt so if the belt snaps, you can and will seriously screw up the engine due to it being interference. With that said, 90k is usually the latest you can wait to change it.
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:51 am

The 1mz-fe is a non-interference engine.. Therefore if the belt breaks, your will not get destroyed. Most motors that are interference, use timing chains.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dan99solara » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 pm

change it when toyota says to change it. around 90k-100k.
1999 Solara V6 5spd 155k miles
TEIN springs. thats it.
dan99solara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gangis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Ilovemylara wrote:The 1mz-fe is a non-interference engine.. Therefore if the belt breaks, your will not get destroyed. Most motors that are interference, use timing chains.

Yes, the 1MZ-FE is a non-interference engine, but the Gen 2 and 2.5 have a 3MZ-FE which are interference engines driven by a timing belt, not a chain. This IS the Gen 2 and 2.5 forum, after all. ;)
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Yep. I changed my factory timing belt on my 1MZ-FE at 145k with a gates belt. With a 3MZ though, I'd reccomend at about 95k miles, its really not worth destroying your engine, and having to pay (that wouldn't be under warranty).
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby youngblood » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 pm

90k miles for 3mz. Why do anything other than what your owner's manual recommends? I do understand the confusion, though, when a dealer is telling you something contradictory that manual.
Seriously- do it @ 90k. You'll be just fine. You can also have them take care of replacing your super-long-life coolant and maybe spark plugs at that time.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 pm

ah ok.. my bad then
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby liltimmy1313 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 am

yea 90-100k is the general rule
2004 Toyota Solara V6 SLE, stock

but not for long :D

http://liltimmy1313.deviantart.com/art/ ... R-97881991
liltimmy1313
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crispone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 am

I work the motor and transmission to the rpm trippers regularly, and when I changed mine at 80K or so, it was still in "near perfect appearance" according to my shop. (Not dealer) They still encourage this interval, and I ALWAYS do my critical maintenance according to Toyota. I ALSO had the water pump and idler changed, along with ALL other belts at that time. (Just happened to be at the PAPER THIN wear point on my front pads as well, so I had a COMPLETE brake job done with all Toyota parts.)

UNDER a grand for it all, WITH a light turn on all rotors, and my mechanic even greased the pistons in the calipers while they were down. Brakes behave BETTER than when purchased new.

I remember SNAPPING my T-belt on the '84 Supra at about 97k miles many years ago... GOOD thing it was NON-interference!!! A tow, about $375... and I was back on the road. (OLD days price...)

...I thought I had BLOWN the motor at first! (Snapped at TOP of 4th gear near redline... just entering Dayton Ohio SB on I-75. I remember the R's just DROPPING to ZILCH... and losing all power. Freaky! ...yeah, I know... I would have been in triple digits... 8) )

-crisp
:evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby mattyboyl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks guys.. Good feedback.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Timing belt...is it really neccessary to change at 60K?

Postby ulbhpy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:11 pm

It is clear that 3MZ-FE has a a interference engine and timing belt needs to be changed at 90,000miles.

I just bought a 04 Solara SE Conv with 131000 miles from a dealer. The engine is very clean and sounds smooth. I do not know if timing belt has been changed or not. I could not find any sticker indicating that it has been.

Is there a way to check by removing timing belt cover? I am a DIY guy. How difficult is it to do this engine timing belt?

Thank you in advance.
ulbhpy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Timing belt...is it really neccessary to change at 60K?

Postby crispone » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:52 pm

ulbhpy wrote:It is clear that 3MZ-FE has a a interference engine and timing belt needs to be changed at 90,000miles.

I just bought a 04 Solara SE Conv with 131000 miles from a dealer. The engine is very clean and sounds smooth. I do not know if timing belt has been changed or not. I could not find any sticker indicating that it has been.

Is there a way to check by removing timing belt cover? I am a DIY guy. How difficult is it to do this engine timing belt?

Thank you in advance.

There will be NO WARNING just before it "snaps" if and when it fails. Visual inspection is VERY LIMITED and will ONLY tell you one is VERY WORN if it IS in bad shape. If it isn't SHOWING any wear... that means LITTLE relative actual miles on the belt and fatigue potential in near future.

I would try to find out IF it had been done, and if you CAN'T find out for sure, then at 131k miles, it may not be worth the risk! (MANY motors make it to that point and don't fail even when not changed... but the inevitable could occur on your next drive.)

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5