[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - I'm new to Toyota
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

I'm new to Toyota

I'm new to Toyota

Postby ArtinNC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:11 pm

I hope this is the right place to post this.
And my wife just bought a new Solara Convertible and now has 226 miles on the clock.
I took her to work this evening and while driving it by myself I get a little shake. Not a cowl shake, when looking in the rear view mirror I see a back seat shake. I know it's a convertible and will have some of this. Is there some kinda of aftermarket Frame brace that I could get to stiffen the body a little?
I have a 2004 Miata and it had cowl shake and I added a butterfly brace to the frame that took all the cowl shake out of it.
Thanks, Art
ArtinNC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby liltimmy1313 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:13 pm

TRD Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower, or aftermarket Springs are about the only real suspension mods we get.

I am not sure how extreme your shake is, but my 2004 'lara coupe had a shake on highway speeds of approx 70mph. We changed the tires and it went away...

Hope that helped a lil bit.
2004 Toyota Solara V6 SLE, stock

but not for long :D

http://liltimmy1313.deviantart.com/art/ ... R-97881991
liltimmy1313
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Sparky5e » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Welcome to Solaraguy and congrats on you wifes new purchase.

I doubt she will drive the car like us guys, but I feel the convertibles are almost dangerous to drive in stock condition. I have an 07 convertible and almost immediately installed the Front strut tower brace and rear sway bar from TRD. The FSTB took care of allot of the cowl vibrations and the RSB removed most of the sway associated with cornering and high speed lane changes. Both made the car more solid without effecting the smooth ride. I guarantee you will not get anyone to not recommend these upgrades.

It will never give the ride quality of a sedan, but you probably know that already owning the Miata.

Checkout the Aftermarket forum for more stuff.

Heres the direct link to aftermarket parts available.

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=23611
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ArtinNC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah, I have been thinking RSB and a rear strut tower brace, I'll have to check to see if I have room for one.. It has a front strut tower brace but don't know if it is big enough.

Thanks, Art

PS: It's not a vibration, it's more of a shake like the car is twisting in the middle when I hit a bump. I may make a X brace to mount on the frame. And put the bigger RSB and rear strut tower brace . I think that will fix what Im talking about. I know, I know it's a Convertible.
ArtinNC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: I'm new to Toyota

Postby petemos » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 am

Any success on the shake....i would love to know if you found a solution?
petemos
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: I'm new to Toyota

Postby NightRider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 am

Not trying to be an ass but this post is old. "Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 pm"
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver