[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2004 SLE-V6 Automatic Transmission Issue
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

2004 SLE-V6 Automatic Transmission Issue

2004 SLE-V6 Automatic Transmission Issue

Postby sidorg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:33 pm

I've been reading the forums for about 4 year now, but now have a question of my own. Thanks for all the great info.

I took my Certified Used 2004 Solara SLE-V6 to the dealer to get some service before my car turns 100,000 miles (its at 99,988) So I'm getting the timing belt replaced and moonroof lubricated for the dreaded shuddering noise and improper seal. I also mentioned to the dealer that my tranny seemed to "stick" in gear for a while when it was colder out. I only noticed the past week or two.

So, long story short, they did a diagnostic. The tech couldn't reproduce the tranny gear "sticking" but said the tranny fluid smelled bad. I don't think I've ever replaced the tranny fluid, but last time I checked, prob 6 months ago, and the fluid seemed to look ok, but didn't bother smelling it. There's nothing I could find in the maint schedule that says to replace the tranny fluid, just inspect it.

So, I tell them I have a Certified Used car, so the powertrain warranty goes to 100,000 miles. They call Toyota, and now the car will be kept over the weekend and Monday morning they'll test the tranny to see if it "sticks" in gear on cold startup. If it does, they'll test the fluid pressure, and then take the bottom off to see if there is excess metal.

They originally told me before they knew I had a Cert Used car, that they were hesitant to change the fluid now, cause that could cause more problems with the tranny.

So, anyone have any experience with tranny issues like this on Gen 2 Solara V6 Auto? Even if they can't reproduce the issue, should I encourage them to test the fluid pressure and look at the pan anyway?

Since I'm right at the end of the warranty, if there is a problem, I really want Toyota to spring for it, and not have the problem show up in 20K miles when I'm on the hook.

I've read through the posts, but no one ever mentioned a bad smell to the fluid.
sidorg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:51 am

you: "They originally told me before they knew I had a Cert Used car, that they were hesitant to change the fluid now, cause that could cause more problems with the tranny"

Wow that's hella weak that they would tell you that now that you told them you have cert on the car. You know either way they are going to get paid on it for the work they are going to do. They get paid from Toyota and if it's not covered they will end up making you pay.

And as far as the tranny sticking into gear. That sounds like that TSB problem that many of us 2004 owners go through. And I never heard of transmission fluid smelling bad.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sidorg » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Hmmm... yeah I don't know.

I hope their not lying by saying that I shouldn't get the tranny fluid replaced since that could give me more problems. But it is interesting that when i said I have a warranty, that figured they could do more.

I did check the tranny fluid myself today, since the car is outside at the dealer. It IS dirty, and is not pink. It has a slightly burned smell to it.

I never towed anything, and durign hot weather, at stop lights, I would often shift into neutral, since I felt that cause less heating of the tranny.

My inclination is that if no problems are found with tranny, to replace the fluid and transmission filter (if there is such a thing). I can't imagine clean fluid would suddenly cause problems with a tranny that seems ok the majority of the time.

Perhaps the sticking is the TSB issue. Thanks for the help.

George
sidorg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GreenSolara01 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Smells bad? Transmission fluid is a base like a detergent. I am gen 1 6 auto but I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to change you tyranny fluid every 60k to 90k. That will help keep the seals and everything like that in good shape.
I don’t think there is a filter to worry about I think it I just a screen and some magnets in the pan to clean.

When I read this post I was wondering if the really changed your fluid or if they just did a drain and fill. Good shops will hook a machine up to your tyranny lines and completely remove all the old stuff and add all new stuff. The other way is to just take out the drain plug and then refill it. But it leaves about half the old stuff in there.

This probably won’t help but I found out 1mz has two pools, one in the tranny and one in the dif. They are connected, just poorly so the only way on gen 1s to do it all the way is to do the diff and tranny at the same time.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby linmk2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 pm

About a year ago I noticed my 2006 not shifting into 4th gear when driving to work. Once the temperature gauge started to move off "cold", the transmission shifts into 4th and depending on speed, into 5th. I worked for many years in auto dealerships and the Service Manager at my local Toyota dealer is someone I used to work with. She advised me that at speeds under 40 MPH, the transmission will only shift to 3rd until the engine starts to warm. I posted the question on this forum too, and many said their cars do the same thing. To be honest, until last year, I never observed the transmission shifting issue. It came to my attention one day when I saw the tach at about 2200 RPM while the car was going about 30. My trip home from work in the evening is on a freeway, and at that speed, it shifts through all the gears regardless of engine temperature. As for the burn smell. Worn internal clutches, which overheat, can make the fluid darker and smell.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 2004 SLE-V6 Automatic Transmission Issue

Postby ahausheer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Tranny fluid that smells burnt is anywhere from bad to very very bad. Drain and refill 3 or 4 times, that replaces about 85 percent of the fluid, where as flushing will change all of it. The manual recommends draining and refilling for a reason so don't flush it. Make sure they fill it up to the correct level. It is very very common for a tranny to be under-filled. Also on some solaras there is a tranny filter, and it is replaceable. The manual says nothing about replacing it even under severe driving conditions but if you have to drop the tranny pan to inspect things you might as well change the filter as it is right there under the pan quick and cheap to change. If you do change the filter make sure to replace the o ring that provides a nice tight seal.
ahausheer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:51 am

i was just going to post a new thread on this , im also having issues with my auto tranny on my 4cyl, when its cold the tranny wont shift into third until it either red lines or the car warms . so i dont know what to do take it into toyota or just let the car warm up longer lol. the fluid isnt burnt matter since i did a drain and fill around october.
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:05 am

On Gen 2's the transmission won't go into 5th until a brief warm up while driving. I'm experiencing it in 5°F weather right now but I also experience it in summer too but although less noticeable it's still there. Usually it takes less than 2 minutes for my tranny to get up to temp--this is by design. However, a burning oil odor or redlining is NOT normal. I'd hypothesize that Ruski and sidorg have two different issues. Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near an expert on transmission troubleshooting to be of any help.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5