[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solara: Show car or daily driver...or both?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Is your 'lara a show car, daily driver, or both?

Show car
10%
Daily driver
48%
Both
42%

Total votes : 31

Solara: Show car or daily driver...or both?

Solara: Show car or daily driver...or both?

Postby SoLarry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm

After being here for a couple of weeks and checking out all of the awesome Solaras and mods that people have done, I have a general question: Is your Solara your one and only car, or is it more of a show car / hobby thing?
I see that lots of you have lowered your cars and added larger wheels. Living here in Maine I would hesitate dropping the car because of all of the frost heaves and potholes in the spring, especially if I added a body kit... not to mention that the wheels would have to be swapped out during the winter, as the road salt would quickly ruin chromed wheels.
I know those of you outside of the snow belt don't have to worry as much about these things. That is one sure sign that winter is over here in Maine, the first sighting of a classic car or show car that's finally been taken out of storage!
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:09 pm

one is a race car, the other is a cruising race car, so mine dont count..................... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby DriDed » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Mine is a daily driver.

I don't put too much emphasis on the show, I am more of a performance oriented person so the power enchancement mods will always be first priority in modifying my car.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby LEE337 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Yeah, Im with frank on this one.
Race/track car! 8)

When I first joined SG I wanted a show Lara. :)
Then after lots of reading up on her I came to the conclusion of NO show car here.
Then did a complete 180 from show car, to track ready! :D

Of course I still need an SC and a 5 spd swap to even be close to havin a track Lara.

...but Im getting there...slowly, but surely. 8) :D
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Twin Turbo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:16 pm

Im kinda in the same boat as you guys in maine. No way could i drive my car in the winter here in western Canada. It's lowered with a lip kit and Z rated rubber making it pretty useless from october to april. During those months ill take my diesel f-450 4x4 for obdvios reasons! But soon as that snow melts you know im tearing it up. I choose both show car and daily driver, with some aspiring drag races coming up in about june.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8 ... =717840726
Follow @ballsofthunder for non-stop ridiculous action
Twin Turbo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:53 am

im all sho fo sho, ya know!

ps, and ill have go go
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 am

Mine is a daily driven (averaging 45 miles per weekday) that
sometimes gets to sleep in all day Saturday. Nonetheless, we
did win first place in our first car show this past summer, so we've
got something to show too. :D jimmm
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 am

I use my Solara as a daily driver, but i do live in Florida. its not my only car though, just my favorite (we have 7 cars).

I plan on moving to Denver in a year or 2, and the Solara will then become a road trip and summer only car, i plan on getting a Yukon and a lifted Tundra for winter + offroading
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:38 am

The Solara does have a lot of show car potential though, with nice rims, sound system and some interior LCDs, it can be quite the show stopper.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

Mine is a daily driver but lately it's been a moving truck (STILL in the midst of moving my girlfriend into the new house). I've had my backseats down since Thanksgiving and my interior is starting to look like a scene from the move "2012". Ohio winter isn't making my car any more show-worthy. :cry:

jimmm wrote:Mine is a daily driven (averaging 45 miles per weekday) that
sometimes gets to sleep in all day Saturday. Nonetheless, we
did win first place in our first car show this past summer, so we've
got something to show too. :D jimmm

jimmmmmm, I remember when you first joined you were inquiring about showing your new Lara--glad everything worked out beautifully on that! :sweet:
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby NVDIS1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:29 am

mine is a show car but I also drive it other than just to shows...got plenty of chips/nicks to prove it...its' no fun if you don't drive it! it doesn't see rain/snow..wipers are removed! My goal wasn't speed with the lara...just isn't worth imo...that's what my gti is for :wink:
Gen1 - modded a lil
05 Gti- Apr Stage 1-R1 Dv-badglss-coils-hids-Gr8 plates-endlinks-bosr'd-shav'd-R32 projectors-orange 18s-stretch'd tires-20th lip-dronemble
NVDIS1
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 am

Selective daily driver. Anytime there's no rain, snow or salt on the roads she's out with the top down. Even when I go to a show, I don't enter. Just going for the meet.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby sahuddleston » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 pm

my slowara was always the DD. looks too good to to be!
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 pm

My solara and 95 maxima arent strictly show cars, but nor are they my daily drivers. I've had the solara for almost a year and half now and i've only put maybe 6000km on it. Neither cars see rain, or snow, and get waxed every week during the summer months.

For daily driving, I have a 99 maxima. It takes all the excess mileage, and all the snowy winter conditions. All 3 of my rides can be seen in my sig.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby tSse06 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 pm

My tsse06 is just a daily car, to and from college and other places. BUT when i do have the money i'll start making it into a show car.

2006 Toyotas Solara SE
1992 Lexus ES 300
tSse06
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5