[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Spray Touch Up Paint? Where and what's the best?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Spray Touch Up Paint? Where and what's the best?

Spray Touch Up Paint? Where and what's the best?

Postby CosmicGrooves » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:02 pm

I have about a square inch of bad news that I need to touch up. It seems a spray would be better for leaving a smooth finish.

Where can I get the exact right color for touch up? The last time I had touch up paint that was supposed to match my car, didn't. It was darker or something.

Suggestions?
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm

its because of clear coat
it makes the color different....
also got to take into consideration fading caused by the elements and the sun so its difficult to get a match from a bottle or can
just an fyi
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CosmicGrooves » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Fading I'm not worried about. My car is garage kept and I work evenings/nights.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby N-Dawg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 am

I need touch up paint as well. They sell these paint markers on e-bay supposedly they work, I'm thinking of buying one.
N-Dawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sahuddleston » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:19 am

i have yet to find any touch up paint that looks good. if you find something that works let me know.
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Black Bob » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 am

You can get away with off-shade touch up paint if you're looking to fix pinhead size chips but for bigger chips you'll find touch up paint is a waste of money. [Prepare for ranting] Although 99.9% of the cars in the US have clearcoat which makes the underlying color layer darker, greedy touch up paint manufacturers are still matching only the underlying coat so you HAVE to buy their clearcoat to get a closer match (remember: gloss makes colors darker). To make matters worse, being that around 90% of the cars in the US have metallic flake, the odds of you not making your car look like a Dalmation are slim. And to go one step further, if you have triple stage paint you're gonna find that nothing on the shelf is gonna work for you no matter what size the chip. But none of that really matters being that the adhesion is crap on all touch up paints.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby kenny6683 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:43 pm

These touch up cans from Autozone work pretty good if you do light coats at a time...i had bought one for my Solara (green color) for an area of about 4 inches and honestly you could not notice it at all.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalo ... tid=162287

if you overspray though... then this will turn out bad
just make sure you mask everything else off
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CosmicGrooves » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Well, the spot I need is about 1 to 2 square inches right on the passenger side mirror. I guess I'll call Maaco or something. Hopefully, they don't make it worse.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 am

I wouldn't do macco my friend. Do what the other guy said about the spray can from autozone.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5