[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solara switchblade key/remote
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Solara switchblade key/remote

Postby Ruski » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 pm

SoLarry, You have spent a total of almost 67 dollars . was it worth it to have a cheap switchblade key ? did your clickers not work, or only had one copy of a master key ?
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoLarry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I had only a single master key, and did not have a Toyota remote, only the one that came with the aftermarket alarm / remote starter. The aftermarket remote came with no documentation, and the way it's set up is that it will lock the car fine, but the only way to unlock the car without using the key is you must first start the car with the fob, then use the fob to unlock it, which is a PITA. I'm sure that I would have spent the same amount (if not more) buying a transponder key, a separate remote, and having the transponder key cut and programmed. So to answer your question....yes, it was worth it to me.
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crispone » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 pm

SoLarry wrote:I finally said "uncle" and scheduled an appt. at the stealership to have the key programmed next Friday..... $40.00, not as bad as I had thought....so for a total of +/-$67.00 I have a programmed remote and transponder key in one....not too bad

Now if you find yourself in a dark alley with just your Solara key, you will also have a better chance in a pen-knife fight.

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 pm

jimmm wrote:There is some H.O.P.E. in Hearing Other People's Experiences, but there is no surer way to learn than by banging your own head against the wall, and sometimes, you have to bang it more than once.

BYOH method. 8)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Hmm, we need to find a way to get his accomplished without getting the dealership involved. Frankly I'd love one of those keys, I miss my BMW key with the buttons built into the base - way less cluttered.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:56 pm

I saw one for the Gen1... I SOO want one; lost my original key and remote :-( .
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ruski » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:03 am

How much did you spend total ?
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoLarry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:24 am

Went to the dealership yesterday and had the key programmed. It was crazy busy there (I think because of the recalls). Gave the key to the service department and they were all fascinated by it, they had never seen one before (one guy thought it was a VW key). I walked the dealer lot (no used Solaras, bummer) and checked out the new Prius, like that it has a sunroof option now.....I've always been a fan of techhy / futuristic looking vehicles. Got the key back and I'm loving it. It's great to fold it up and slip it into a pocket. Would I recommend one? Absolutely! Ruski, I spent $21.90 for the key itself, $5.00 or so to have it cut, and $40.00 for the programming, so about 67.00 total. More than half the cost was at the stealership for the programming. If I had been able to find a way to program the key myself it would have been less than $30.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28r5MddmSg4
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am

Congratulations, SoLarry, from one
Rocket Olds man to another. That's what I call
good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity at work.
Keep up the good work.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am

Thats awesome. I'd love one for my car too!
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby YoungDonDraper » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 am

Ok so someone come to the rescue with a way to program these things, I just can't stand the thought of paying someone $40 for 5 minutes of work, not cool.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Bad experience with My Keyless...

Postby mekaleka » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 pm

I purchased the switchblade key for $16.95 plus shipping and paid through Paypal. Got an email indicating the item had shipped, and also one thanking me for my order. A couple of weeks later I sent an email to My Keyless because I hadn't received the item yet. No response. Finally, I submitted a dispute through Paypal. Then I get an email from My Keyless saying there was a "glitch" on ebay and that the item was actually selling for $49.95...I looked on ebay and it was actually selling for $45.95. Some glitch. They offered to sell it to me at a discount...I think it ended up being $35.00 which included the shipping I'd already paid. They require that you go through their checkout process, so I couldn't just send them more money through ebay. I sent a couple of emails indicating that I still wanted the key, but needed instructions on how to get the additional funds to them. They never responded. I escalated through Paypal to a claim for my money back. Ugh.

Thanks for listening.
mekaleka
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoLarry » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:02 am

Sorry to hear what happened to your experience with my keyless mekaleka. I was shocked when I went on Ebay and saw that the exact same key that I paid $16.95 for 2 months ago is now going for $44.95.....what a ripoff!!!
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Grant516 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

still no confirmed way to program a Gen 2+ key?

... we're getting lazy.
Grant516
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Solara switchblade key/remote

Postby SoLarry » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 pm

My 22 months of enjoying my switchblade key came to an end today. I put the key into the ignition and twisted the key and the body of the remote snapped off in my hand. The plastic body broke and there is no way to fix it. The key portion still works, as well as the remote, but now they are two separate pieces. I went on the ikeyless website to price a replacement: $99.95 vs. the $21.90 I spent on the one I bought on Ebay...so it looks as though I'll be buying a traditional replacement remote fob.
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5