[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - T.belt & drive belt
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

T.belt & drive belt

T.belt & drive belt

Postby NightRider » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 am

Alright so I went to get my oil changed yesterday and the service writer told me that is recommended that I get my timing belt changed and my drive belt changed. The price for the timing belt installation what they want is 399$ and the drive belt install is 39.99$. Miles on my car right now is 84,590.

I honestly think that the timing belt price is waaaaay over priced! What do you all think? You think I'm getting BS prices? Or does it sound legit? Thanks for your input.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm

thats about rite, they have to take it apart, dont know about water pump, but on gen 1-1.5's its a good idea to replace the water pump also............................ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby NightRider » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Phuck!! That's super expensive. Right now I'm getting new tires put on that's costing me about 550$ damn and another five something to spend. One thing I dread about getting high miles on a car.
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:54 pm

That's right about average, I got quotes $25-$50 higher than yours (I'm at 90k miles). Remember, it's not the parts, it's the labor that kills your wallet. Unless Lexus is dropping their LS600h by $75,000 it's worth the investment for me.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Sol02 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm

I would suggest changing the water pump and the other belts while you are at it. Otherwise, you will end up paying for the labor a second time if your water pump fails.
Sol02
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

$250 for v6

Postby mattx619 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I just got a quote on the phone from my toyota dealer (Poway, CA) for $350 + $40 for the drive belt. Then I got a mailed coupon for the same service for $250. Ask them about coupons/mailers.
I'm set to get mine done this week but i'm on the fence about the water pump.
'04 lunar mist SLEv6
mattx619
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 pm

^^ yeah now that I recall I get coupons in the mail for the t belt. And I know I need to get it changed. I am going to do the water pump as well. Although I know they might try and say I don't need to do the water pump but I'm not that dumb. Plus I gotta replace spark plugs soon too. I know those can be tricky too!
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mik00725 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm

It is not that bad, considering what it will cost if the belt breaks. And you should also change all the insides as well, water pump, rolls, water seals, etc. In my wifeys highlander, Toyota Stealership charged me 900.00 for all, parts and labor. This is a heck of a job so they will charge a lot for it.
2004 Arctic Frost Pearl with Dark Stone Leather seats SE.
mik00725
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NightRider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated. Still on the lookout for coupons. Tough economy these days damn!
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I just got quoted 325 at the dealer for the t-belt with installation. I did the drive belts myself a while back and they were pretty easy, but they said if they did install new drive belts it wouldn't add to the labor cost. However the water pump was quoted another 300+, which I am on the fence about as well. Spark plugs were quoted $210. I'll probably take a crack at those myself, even though it looks relatively difficult.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: T.belt & drive belt

Postby FLUXEMAG » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Update from the timing belt job. I tried to do it myself, got the instructions from the manual and found some message board tips. I bought the timing belt, drive belts and a seal for $80 at the dealer, and got a water pump from Autozone for $55. I chose one the hottest day of the year so far in AZ, it was about 106, so already I was off to a good start. Autozone had loaned me a crankshaft pulley puller, shich I could use to remove the pulley. I started early, at 8 while it was in the low 90s. I was feeling confident, had done all the work on my Solara since new, and had good sets of tools.

Everything went pretty smoothly at first, I got the engine mount pieces, brive belts and timing belt covers off. I even got the crankshaft bolt off easily using my impact gun and air compressor. But the pulley puller didn't fit quite right and it chipped off a large piece of the pulley. I found one online next day air for $135 including shipping. Dealer wanted $350. Make sure you use a puller that threads into the bolt holes on the pulley, not the ones with the little fingers that grab the edges. So already, I'm 4 hours in and down some money. I got the crankshaft and cams lined up TDC, which was hard because I didn't remove the spark plugs. The last thing I had to do to get the timing belt off was remove the tensioner pin. That was a total bastard, and the bolts were shrouded by things that even a 3 year old child's hand couldn't have fit around. I spent another hour and called it quits for the day.

I decided to read some more posts from message boards to see if anyone had some tips, especially with the tensioner pin. I found was that after over 5 hours I was about a third of the way done. The water pump requires removing the camshaft pulleys, which based on my experience with the crankshaft one, was probably not going to go well. So like a true hero, I decided to quit. I called the dealership and had AAA tow the car for them to finish. Put all the pieces into the trunk in ziplock bags. So in total, I spent slightly more than if I had just dropped it off to begin with. I paid $760 including the new pulley, the dealer quoted $690 including the drive belts, water pump and seal. In order to salvage my morale for wasting 5 hours of my Saturday and missing a pool party, I treated myself to an 18oz bone in filet with lobster mashed potatoes and snow crab claws...and some wine... and a little bourbon for good measure.

Lessons learned:
Don't wait until summer in Phoenix to do major car repair.
Get the right pulley puller.
Know the limits of your mechanical ability and patience.
Take the tensioner pin off both bolts gradually, not one bolt at a time. I may be buying a new one of those too.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm

^^^ Damn no offense but that hella sucks! You missed a pool party?!? Man sorry for your troubles...

Update on my end: I ended up getting the parts i needed for 250$ at the dealer OEM everything and I actually took my car with the parts to my local mechanic i looked up and got great ratings and this guy has 16+ years of experience with cars. Anyway he is doing the job (labor only) for 500$. Includes t.belt,drive belts,water pump,auto tensioner,spark plugs and coolant. Gonna pick her up today after i get off work and boy she will ride like a brand new car!
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

that actually sounds like a pretty good idea. you're right about the damned economy! i was prepared to shell out a grand for all this maintenance. tell me how she rides and pm me the info bout the shop when you get a chance. good lookin out man.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah man save some money and use it for something else. I know I would!
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

NightRider wrote:Yeah man save some money and use it for something else. I know I would!

Like JPP :wink:
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5