[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - transmission problem?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

transmission problem?

transmission problem?

Postby engjon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:50 pm

hey guys, i have a quick question hopefully someone can shed some light on for me..

Wednesday, us in NY got hit with about 15 inches of snow or so. i was trying to get out of the snow (without a shovel) by being dumb and doing all the wrong moves people warn you about. i was flooring the car and rocked back and forth a few times..

i have a 2006 toyota solara se 4 cylinder

anyway my car seemed fine since then and now 3 days later this morning when i started driving my car, i smelt somekind of a burning smell. i thought it was the tires and didn't think of is as something serious. Then as the day went on my car was working really hard and revving high as i was going up hills. It seemed as though my gears weren't switching as well. **my check engine light came on too.. About 30 minutes later i was having trouble even accelerating and it seemd as if i was in first gear and my rpms were at 4,000 and i was going about 20 mph. I just tried to start my car to see if it would work after giving it a rest and same deal. i tred to reverse it and i had to press it pretty hard and it jolted in reverse.

i wonder if it was because of driving in a lower gear wednesday or if it could do with my misuse trying to get out of the snow. it's a 2006 so it's a fairly new car but im dreading to find out if it is indeed the tranny...any feedback would be appreciated..

thanks everyone!
engjon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 pm

what was the check engine code ?
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby engjon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:06 pm

it looks like an engine that says "CHECK" underneath it
engjon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bksolara » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 pm

same happened to me when we got our first snow storm i floored it and days and days i had a funny burning smell in my car but its gone now, but today i took it easy and still the tires smelled of smoke
bksolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby engjon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 pm

but are your gears not catching?
my gears are not catching and when it does catch it "jolts"
engjon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bksolara » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:25 pm

no im not having those problems, and my accerlaration is still on point
bksolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby michaelr295 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:59 pm

you need find out what code is the cel and i think you might need to swap out trans
red 99 solara v6 non sc/at custom intake custom ehxaust jdm flat black rims lol
trans cooler b&m trickshift in trans safc more to come (frist dyno 151hp/178tq) safc tune (157whp&178 tq)
posting dyno graph soon
michaelr295
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby engjon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

how do i find out the code
engjon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SC V6 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:41 pm

When you floor it to try to get out of snow, you will cause the tranmission fluid to heat up very quickly, and will cause problems... your not moving anywhere, which means no airflow over the engine/transmission or the radiator/tranmission cooler... bad things happen when you do things like this

I should add that when the ATF heats up like that, it will spew out of the overfill container... hopefully you didn't burn up any clutches.. just watch it and possibly get a trans flush if it doesn't clear up after a few
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby engjon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:39 am

thanks for the kind words SC! so this should be a temporary ordeal and i should be back in action in a few days?

hopefully tomorrow my mechanic is working and i will bring it in to see what he says and i'll mention the trans flush.

i know this is getting ahead of myself but i was already dreading looking at a new car.
engjon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby michaelr295 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:42 am

you find the code by getting your car scaned by a shop
red 99 solara v6 non sc/at custom intake custom ehxaust jdm flat black rims lol
trans cooler b&m trickshift in trans safc more to come (frist dyno 151hp/178tq) safc tune (157whp&178 tq)
posting dyno graph soon
michaelr295
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5