[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Soft top stitching
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Soft top stitching

Soft top stitching

Postby txjeeptx » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Not much comes up when I searched for soft top info/issues.

I was wondering if anyone else has had their top stitching starting to come unraveled along the edge of the top over the middel of the door windows and again over the rear windows where the top is curving down to meet the body?

I can take some pics of the areas I'm talking about if anyone has trouble with their mind's eye.

The TX sun is a b!tch on soft top material. The dealer I usually go to doesn't want to replace the top, I bet its real expensive. They wanna have a upholstery shop (of their choosing) restitch it. If I go that route, I'll have the shop use a more UV stable thread like my Jeep's top has.
o8 Solara Drop Top & some ol Jeeps.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Im guessing you have an 08 according to your Sig, that should be under warranty i dont see why an 08 top should have sticking coming apart unless it was messed with or cut into
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby txjeeptx » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:30 pm

No cuts/vandalism damage, just stitches unraveled at the points where the top folds when it gets stowed. No excessive top use, either. Also, no evil brush automatic car washes. Only washed at the dealer authorized wash tub or by yers truly, I do the better job.

Warranty, exactly. I do have a bargaining chip with this one, I have had all service done through the dlr where we bought the car, even bodywork after a minor fendr bendr, so I can threaten to take my business elsewhere. They ain't the only dealer in town. I may have to switch dealers.

Then again, a restitch might last longer than another factory top, if the restitch is done to perfection with better thread. Scheduled fer next week.

Sorry to see yer totaled car, at least you got another. I have an AMC Eagle SX/4(the all wheel drive AMC Spirit body 2 door liftback) and an MJ Comanche(Jeep Cherokee pickup), both are near impossible to replace, and dango insurance co.s devalue them to poo. Live close to a college, its Mecca for the world's worst drivers. They stay safe in the driveway most of the time, and rarely go by the college anymore.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby linmk2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:28 pm

I have a 06 convertible, also from Texas, and I have had no stitch issues. Like another poster suggested, your car should still be under warranty. To be honest, I would not have the top replaced, if it can be repaired. My top, and I'm sure yours. fits so well, that replacing it would not get perfect alignment. While I vote for the repair, I think the you will be able to tell that the stitching has be done. Just my two cents. I worked in car dealerships for more than two decades, and I've learned that some problems should just be lived with. Correcting them sometimes makes things worse.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby txjeeptx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 am

I'll have some before and after repair pics up sometime.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5