[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cat conv stinks upon hard accel
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Cat conv stinks upon hard accel

Cat conv stinks upon hard accel

Postby txjeeptx » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Anyone else get this - other than older cars, it seems to be an older issue when I search regarding exhaust smell/stink/sulfur/fart/gunpowder/cat conv/ I know how to search thouroughly.

My wife drives the car most of the time. She says its getting to be a more frequent problem. It happens every time I drive it, but, then, I like to get into the skinny pedal more than she does.

It involves an exhaust smell of sulfur like burnt gunpowder, which smells great to me . . when I'm hunting, that is. It happens when the car is accelerated hard, like when merging onto the highway, or just plain ol hot doggin it. The windows are all closed, and the AC is on recirc most of the time, and the cabin air filter was just replaced last service, and no moldy smell in the ducts. How the heck is exhaust stink makin it into the interior? The dealer says they've never heard of such a problem, and the tech can't duplicate the issue. I'm gonna have to take him on a ride, I guess. They suggest we try changing brands of fuel, but that's just a cop out excuse for not finding the root cause of the problem.

I think one or both catalytic converters in the exhaust manifold are bad. I still don't get how the smell is getting into the car, and so quickly following the hard accel. There are no exhaust leaks that I can hear. Maybe the flex joint is allowing a leak when exhaust pressure is high, like during hard acceleration, and the stink gets into the cabin through the shifter draft guard?

I should ditch the entire exhaust system and do headers, magnaflow cat, and resonators. Wife sez NO. I loved the video sound clips elsewhere here.

So, anyone else got a stinky Solara?
o8 Solara Drop Top & some ol Jeeps.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

4cyl?
on the gen 2 there was an TSB i think

and actually after having my cat replaced i didn't have that problem either
but i had a CEL for my cat also.....

but yea...sorry cant help
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby youngblood » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I've had the smell from my V6. It usually happens after romping on it a bit, followed by an abrupt change to more sedate driving. No CELs so far. I hope it doesn't become a larger issue, though the cats ARE still under warranty.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby txjeeptx » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Shoot, fergot to mention the drivetrain. Yeah, V6, 2008, soft-top.

That is exactly the situation - hard drivin, then more sedate cruisin. Happens also when makin a pass on the highway, also on some long uphill runs. No check engine lights, not yet. Would go directly to the dealer the next day if one showed up.

Scheduled to take it in to the dealer next week to get the top restitched. I'll mention it to em, again, and make sure they make note of the complaint for future reference.

Could be that my wife's more gentle driving habits have kept the cats from being properly broken in, then I get in the thing and give et 'ell and burn off some sulfur deposits that have built up in the cats.

Good(er, is it?), I was wondering if I'm the only one with this minor issue.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:43 am

First time I've heard of this. Hopefully its just a build up in the cat.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 am

just take it out and run it at 90mph for a half hour, that will burn out the soot............. :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby txjeeptx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 am

jetbtkng wrote:just take it out and run it at 90mph for a half hour, that will burn out the soot............. :drinking:

That's the only way to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time here in sprawling SATX.

The dealer coundn't duplicate the smell, no surprise, though - it only happens on warmer days, and its been freezin lately. Gonna try some BG44K and the ol "switch brands of fuel" bs they keep on pushin.
txjeeptx
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5