[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - gen2 owners over 100k
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

gen2 owners over 100k

Postby Aotoyota » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:33 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
Aotoyota wrote:97k miles and not too many rattles, just the overhead console, and sunroof and mirror falling off once in a while.

not the cars fault but the subwoofer in the trunk. i also sound deadened everything too, so it just might be all held together from that.

Oh ya, my mirror keeps falling off too, its now falling off for second time, im worried about overtightening and stripping it.

My sunglasses holder vibrates with subwoofers every once in a while too.

i just tightened as best a i could and used a small thin strip of electrical tape from behind to it stays
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bigpow » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 pm

[quote="DriDed"][quote="bigpow"]
2-3 more years max, then it's off to the junkyard
[/quote]
Whatever, you made a similar statement years ago with the 2 more years thing:
[quote]Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:22 pm Post subject: damn Toyota
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called my local Toyota service manager and he told me my car had been fixed with this freaking TSB.
Well, guess what? It is still pulling to the left, DUH!
Two more years, I'll trade it in with a non-Toyota car.
And that is my final decision.[/quote]
LMAO[/quote]

Not sure why you bothered to check up on me, but thanks for your attention :D

actually, they did fix the problem with pulling to the left. It took them a while, but they finally did it. That was the reason why I still have it.
I didn't trade it in, I bought a new car - which happened to be a non-Toyota.

Sorry if I offend your toyota fanboy, DriDed, but I've no intention to do so. I was just here today, checking on some DIY stuff for the tranny - when I happened to see the 100K post.

Again, thanks for your concern and I think you need a hobby (rather than cross checking some stranger's post on the internet) - or a life, rather.

if it makes you happy, my 1 yr old 350Z has develop some rattles - LOL
I'm not here to make any toyota or nissan company rep happy - just FYI

BTW, what happened to the nice mature fellows that used to roam this forum? NM, I'll be on my way now.
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 pm

bigpow wrote:Again, thanks for your concern and I think you need a hobby (rather than cross checking some stranger's post on the internet) - or a life, rather.

BTW, what happened to the nice mature fellows that used to roam this forum? NM, I'll be on my way now.

ImageImage
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby jimmm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 am

OH NO! Here we go again.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 am

Been into 100k+ for awhile now... then let the 'lara sit with the snows we've had since earlier winter here in the Midwest. Some minor rattles... but a few from when it was NEW went away, and a few newer one's developed, but nothing "regular" or irritable. I have had very good luck with this car, despite a NAGGING pull left issue that DID get resolved (NOT by TWO trips to the dealer for the TSB, but when we did the TRD spring drop and rims, and we had to pull the struts TWICE up front and keep "dialing" the seat/coil clocking until we GOT IT, and now it tracks DEAD-NUTS straight ever since... and that was at around 50k miles.)

Motor is SOLID and still rips. Tranny lag was nearly eliminated with the CP-e setup. Shift hesitation from "sticking" has NEVER existed on mine, but I clean my throttle butterfly (can cause some awkward "stumbles" if it gets dirty) and I have done at LEAST two full tranny flush-fills on this car.

Still love the 'lara, and it runs great... NO failures of any kind, and no leaks below with NO oil burned despite redline-to-redline runs all the time. A little bit of "chunking" and "creaking" from rear suspension area and/or trim, but it's all been in and out several times, and it mostly shows up when first pulling out of my bumpy drive in the winter when things are real cold... then pretty much goes away on the road.

I may be getting an '07 Acura TL S-Type from my company for "FREE" within the next few months or so, and if that happens, I'll probably sell the 'lara to make some room in the drive and eliminate the last couple years of $300 I'm paying since I bought out the lease.

Been a good car, still great, and I've only lost faith in Toyota inasmuch as I can't "vouch" for them as loudly without hearing a bunch of CRAP from the peanut gallery who doesn't really understand how NHTSA who governs recalls, etc... operates in the automotive industry. Overall, the record of Toyota is exceptional, and if everyone knew just what actually went on with other manufacturers and the governing regulatory bodies, they'd be less skeptical of Toyota (despite some REAL issues that are getting and/or need resolved) and more concerned with their tire pressure and attention to the road while texting than all the hype about how every other new or recently manufactured car is going to "drive them into a wall or ditch" due to corporate negligence.

My $0.02

Ride on!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 am

DriDed wrote:
bigpow wrote:Again, thanks for your concern and I think you need a hobby (rather than cross checking some stranger's post on the internet) - or a life, rather.

ImageImage

Speaking of "mature fellows"... I'd say BOTH those pictures qualify!

(I'm sure that's what you were going for, right? 8) )

...come to think of it, I've SEEN both those mature fellows around the site here while back...

heh heh heh...

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby DriDed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 am

No crap I am a Toyota fan, I don't have a problem if someone is not a fan of Toyota automobiles but don't be coming onto a Toyota enthuasist site and describe the car like its a piece of trash because its not.

What got me is that "junkyard" comment that guy made, I have seen old Toyota autos that have ran over 400K and are still going.

My next car might not be a Toyota (maybe a Ford, Chevy, Honda, or Nissan but thats not the point) but I would never send my Solara to the junkyard, no matter how old it is.

Even if I became a Mustang owner, I would still be a fan of Toyota autos.

I am very proud to be owning my car knowing it will never let me down (with great care), and it hasn't so far.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 am

you two can argue privately and not on my thread

as for my gen2, im sure my rattling is from taking the from console apart when i used to do all that audio tech crap but what should i use to tighten it up? some kind of padded tape?

as for the tranny, i have flushed mine twice. im going to flush it again this week when i have my oil change done. the tranny does stick a lot too

i have had most of the tsp's done by toyota saying they fixed everything but yet i still have all the same problems except the sulfur smell.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby rollaevo99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:23 am

eddie, mine has ONLY 46,000 I hear a lot of noise, from the engine, front & rear windshield, and now my struts in the back are out.... :cry: :cry:
2004 Solara Sport SE V6 Lunar Mist
TRD Body Kit
Eibach Springs
35% Tint

rollaevo99
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 am

My car has 43,500+ miles now, and it doesn't even have a rattle, the only weird sound it makes is the squeaking from the TRD rear sway bar. I should have used teflon tape.

I don't drive mine offroad, don't know about you guys.

Sorry Biggie for the thread jack.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm

could also have to do with rough roads in certain locations and also drastic temperature changes in your region
i think the tape can only go so far
best solution (but also probably most expensive) would be to replace the parts with brand new parts

and no i DONT drive my car offroad drided
but LA roads are filled with pot holes and uneven roads which cannot be avoided
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby FLUXEMAG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:49 pm

FLUXEMAG wrote:I'm at 88k, but I got a new transmission at 25k so it's a bit newer. No complaints here. I gave toyota such a hard time about the weird jerky shifting that happened on the original tranny that they gave me a new one. However, the same exact thing happens on the new one too. Weird, but it only does it once a day or so. Now that I've passed emissions, I will probably keep it another year or two then get a new ride. Can't really hear any rattling, even after all those miles with a decent stereo. The motor is rock solid, and I've used Mobil1 since day 1. All in all it drives like a relatively new car.

Wow, I really whammied myself with that comment. The VERY NEXT DAY my motor went south, couldn't accelerate or drive over 50mph and was making some horrible noises. Clogged CAT, $1500. So technically it wasn't the engine, but the exhaust. I'm taking it somewhere else and got the part online for $320. Once it runs I'm getting a new G37 sedan.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby youngblood » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

@ 72k I have a few rattles on my '04. Windshield mounting clips, rear parcel shelf, and one more I can't think of right now. Runs like a top, shifts well, no real complaints. Still need to replace the steering shaft (used to click, now clunks).

Only 100% necessary repairs were new computer (@66k) and new a/f sensor (@71k). Computer was under warranty, sensor was $165 installed (thanks to Mr. Reggie and free labor provided by me!)

I'll have this old girl for a while, I figure. Just paid it off last week and it's every bit a nice as the day I bought it. Viva la Lara!
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Wow, this thread makes my gen1 seem like a baby still....I'm only at 78,000km, or 49,000miles. It being a convertible, there is noticeable body flex going over bumps and stuff. No strange rattles, or creaks though. Auto tranny is still mint, and everything is fully functional.

My lara also doesn't see winter, so that could be helping it out quite a bit too.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 pm

+1 to bigpow.

wtf was that??
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5