[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing Display/Vent Dash Trim
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Removing Display/Vent Dash Trim

Removing Display/Vent Dash Trim

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 am

Would anyone be able to post the steps to removing this Display/Vent Dash Trim piece (outlined below, in red), or just explain how it is attached?

Thank you for your help!
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ctsolara12 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 am

I have done this before to replace the plastic on that display. It's not too hard.

First, pull off the hazard light button and remove the hazard light unit/switch out of that opening. Put your fingers inside this opening and pull straight out towards you. There should be one or two clips on each side of this plastic vent/display piece that will pop out with a little bit of strength on your pull.

I think I may have a diagram on my home computer, so i'll post it up if I find it later.
ctsolara12
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:21 am

Take a butter knife wrapped in masking tape and pop off the hazard button. Unplug the wire to the hazard button. Grab the cluster anywhere you can get a good grip and pull like hell towards you. DO NOT PULL UP. Pull directly towards you... and the whole unit should slide out. There are three tabs near the windshield and 2 or 3 along the bottom where the stereo meets the vents.

Good luck!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby cklinh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am

I routinely take that piece off without taking out the hazard button. Just grab a hold of the rounded parts near the top and give a good tug towards the back of the car, and it should come off. You can then disconnect the connectors in the back.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:47 am

Damn you guys are ON IT! Thanks!!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kpxboi0619 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am

yes, just yank on it. but then careful with the 3 pins.. it might fall off..
kpxboi0619
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ctsolara12 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:09 am

SoSleek wrote:Damn you guys are ON IT! Thanks!!

Here's the diagram I was talking about in my previous post. It was quite helpful when I had to remove that piece. Just steps 2 and 3...
ctsolara12
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 am

So on all of the peices mentioned, there are no bolts, screws or nuts on anything but the radio? Everything is mounted with clips? and when they say "Unclip" are they basically just saying "pull the part out"?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jong2be » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:47 am

on radio+climate control part >>> there are 4 bolts (it's on pic 'D')

unclip? yep! just pull the part out!

I changed led light yesterday from green to white(clock part, it's easy, just remove green leds and put white leds 2-3v one), so it's really easy to remove dash board. Good luck!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3812488/2 (If U wanna see bigger pics, you can see em in here)

2006 Toyota Solara

(Still, my grammar is sucks! plz understand it. lol)
jong2be
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Jong, you should post a pic of it installed with the new LED's. I would like to see! I hate my green lit instruments!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jong2be » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 pm

just clock part was done and I'm still waiting for climate controller bulb (Neo Wedge). i think, climate controller led is really easy. just change bulb type.

hmm.. okay wait a sec, I will take pics right now.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3812488/2 (If U wanna see bigger pics, you can see em in here)

2006 Toyota Solara

jong2be
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jong2be » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Here is what i did.

I used 12 white leds in clock lcd part. I also tried to change window switch to white led, but I couldn't find white led work with 2v. (window switch led was 2v. and most of white led work with 3-3.5v) so I used yellow led. (it's more blight than green one but not cool so I will change it asap). in pic, it slightly looks like green but it's yellow. I also ordered neo wedge led for climate controller, there are 3 bulb in it. ($5 each in dealer so I ordered it from ebay).
when my project is done, I will repost it. lol

2006 Toyota Solara

jong2be
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:34 am

Did you take any pictures of the process, like the clock taken apart and stuff?
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey, awesome stuff! That is cool. I want to do this. From what i have seen, the new gen 2.5's have reverse lighted clock and MPG/distance etc gauges. So the characters light up rather than the background. I think I may get those, and then change to gauge cluster (speedometer, tach etc,) to superwhite LED's, and get the new gen 2.5 climate knobs as well! Thanks for posting pics, def post more when finished!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re:

Postby StevenHB13 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:52 pm

I recognize that this conversation took place 13 years ago. I'm trying to remove that display vent trim to fix one of the vent controls (one of the plastic pieces broke or fell off and I'm hoping that I can glue it together - I'll replace if I have to)

I got the vent/display trim piece pulled out and I disconnected the plugs at the ends of the two wiring harnesses (one for the hazard button, one for the three displays). For what it was worth, I couldn't grip anything to pull until I'd pried out and disconnected the hazard button. The bundle of cables that goes to the displays has a physical strain-relief connection to the trim. How do I disconnect the strain-relief connector? It's the last piece I need to pull to get the trim removed?
Boston, MA Area
2008 Solara SLE Convertible
StevenHB13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5