[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How much is a "new" 2008 Solara SLE worth?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

How much is a "new" 2008 Solara SLE worth?

How much is a "new" 2008 Solara SLE worth?

Postby jkh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 am

I'm looking around for a new 2-door coupe to replace my 1999 Camry. Some local dealers have a few unsold 2008 Solara's on their lot (mostly loaded SLE V6's that never got much traffic -- the one I test drove had to be jump started and had 34 miles on the odometer...)

Now I like Toyotas and a 2-door coupe is what I'm looking for, but I've no idea of a reasonable price for a new discontinued 2008 model, or whether I should even consider one at all at this point. The original MSRP was around 30K with navigation, which isn't something I care much about, leather seats v6 etc --- nominal asking price is now down around $25-$26K, but I wouldn't pay more than $23K, and I'm not even sure if that's overpaying, or if the dealer (who might've been driven insane by Toyota's current state) would take it anyway.

My alternative is probably a 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe (should be available for less than $26K at the moment -- plus based on my previous experiences, the local Honda dealership and service dept are pretty good while the Toyota dealer and service dept are, unfortunately, basically scumbags).

Anyway, not sure if anyone here can provide opinions, comments or advice, but I'd be glad to get some.
jkh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 am

I'd get the Accord Coupe. Just look at the vast difference in performance between the '08 Toy and '10 Honda. The solara is a great car but performance and aftermarket just plain suck.

If you did get the Accord, would you go for manual?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:22 am

Go with the Accord.
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby Black Bob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 am

Ditto....especially if it's a manual.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby jkh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies --- it's what I figured, but it sets my mind at ease.

I test drove a manual accord coupe, but I'm looking at the automatic ---I'm more interested in good power than real sporty handling. It may be sacreligous, but I've gotten lazy over the years driving an automatic. ;)
jkh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sparky5e » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Sounds like you made up your mind, but if you haven't....

The stock Nav has limitations such as no updates available. A new disk comes out every few decades and costs a few hundred dollars. For the cost of a disk a Garmin can be purchased. However the built in sure looks nice and roads don't change too often anyway.
07 SLE Convertable
Blue Streak Metallic
TRD FSTB and RSB, OSB Pedals, OEM Nav, CPE Intake, Stainless sills, "color matching" floor mats
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ctsolara12 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm

jkh wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies --- it's what I figured, but it sets my mind at ease.

I test drove a manual accord coupe, but I'm looking at the automatic ---I'm more interested in good power than real sporty handling. It may be sacreligous, but I've gotten lazy over the years driving an automatic. ;)

Just wanted to make a note that "good power" comes from a manual... less power loss to the wheels through the drivetrain along with better throttle response in comparison to an automatic. :wink:
ctsolara12
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 am

ctsolara12 wrote:
jkh wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies --- it's what I figured, but it sets my mind at ease.

Just wanted to make a note that "good power" comes from a manual... less power loss to the wheels through the drivetrain along with better throttle response in comparison to an automatic. :wink:

I think the OP may have been refering to the overall "good power" of a v6 Accord being more of a necessity and is not too worried about the sportier "handling" (shift control) of a manual.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ctsolara12 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 pm

GzNutz wrote:I think the OP may have been refering to the overall "good power" of a v6 Accord being more of a necessity and is not too worried about the sportier "handling" (shift control) of a manual.

Ah in that context, yes, the Accord definitely has a more powerful v6 than the Solara.

Let us know which car you end up getting.
ctsolara12
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jkh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 pm

GzNutz wrote:I think the OP may have been refering to the overall "good power" of a v6 Accord being more of a necessity and is not too worried about the sportier "handling" (shift control) of a manual.

Yup, that's exactly right.

In the end, I didn't buy either one (though I would've got the Accord AT v6 Coupe if I had) but decided to keep what I'm currently driving -- a 1992 Lexus SC400 Coupe. It takes a fair bit of money for upkeep and repairs, but it's in good condition and only has 120,000 miles on it, so it should be fine for quite a while yet.

I wasn't sure that the SC400 was worth continuing to keep up, but when I starting thinking about what I'd get for trade in, and how much of an improvement a new car would be (and wouldn't be) it started to seem like a better choice...if nothing else, I appreciate the SC400 more after thinking I'd sell it. Hopefully, now it won't decide to fall apart on me. :)
jkh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5