[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Buy the Solara, or move on to a new car?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Buy the Solara, or move on to a new car?

Buy the Solara, or move on to a new car?

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 pm

So... as many of you know, i dont legally own my Solara. as i am still in high school, but my dad is starting to hate me for some reason recently... I literally havent done anything, and im constantly getting grounded. So i told him I want to buy my own car, and wanted to know how much of my money out of my savings account i could put towards it (theres about 2400 in there)

So at first he was pissed, tried to talk me out of buying a car. then he called a couple hours later and proposed this deal... Selling it to me for under what its worth (without taking mods into consideration), giving me 4k as a grad present (im a senior), and providing me with a loan better than the best interest rate i can find for a used car.

I almost dont even want the solara anymore, every time i look at it i can only think of being punished for something stupid (this time its because he thinks my gf is taking over my life, going to make me become a bum, and apparently shes making me "forget to do things"

I called him out on these accusations, none of which he can defend. I know it can sound like im just rebelling or something, but nobody in my family is on my dads side, they all see hes punishing me for no reason.

Just a little info for what ill be using a car for... Im going to be doing a TON of driving (from Orlando Florida to Salt Lake City, Utah to see my girlfriend in college), going to the beach (about an hour drive), and in a year or 2 i am moving to Denver to go to DU.

The car has about 22,xxx miles, dealer maintained (everything done on time that it needs, synthetic oil always used), and mods are listed in my sig.

So... take the deal? Or move on to a new car? my neighbor (tom gordon, plays for the phillies) owns a ford dealership and is willing to hook me up.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sasebo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Is this a usual thing with your dad where he's hard on you or is it a temporary thing? If its something you think could just blow over in time then I would stay patient and hold on to the car. Or atleast make whatever deal is cheapest on your end. You're pretty young to get into having to buy a car on your own. I know cause I did with mine back in high school and even though its all paid off now and I still like the car, life would have been alot easier the cheaper route starting off. I wouldnt have had to work so damn much and maybe my grades would have been better. (the girls certainly came easier though)
Also dont drive from Florida to Utah multiple times. Its cheaper and faster to take a plane these days.
If you're going to keep the car keep the miles low. Its the biggest thing you got when/if you ever decide to sell the car in the future.
Your dad seems alot like mine when I was 18. Just humor him and nod your head alot.
Last edited by Sasebo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasebo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

He takes the car about every other week, for about a week. and he told me the new rule is i can ONLY use the car for work and school, last time he took the car is because my sister went somewhere without asking my dad, and my dad said now that im 18 i need to be responsible for her... time before that, my sister for some reason didnt want to ask my gf or me for the clothes she borrowed (they both borrow eachothers clothes alot, we live about 4 houses down the street from eachother), so she told my dad she wont give it back (even though she had some of my gf's clothes still) and he took the car for a week because of that... basically he takes it every chance he gets.

The thing about Utah, is its actually cheaper to drive, its an absolute minimum of 350-400 bucks for a round trip ticket for the weekend. and depending on many variables, as all flights do, it can vary in price, but never gets below 350.

I dont want to work a ton through college, but ive got college paid for atleast, and i dont really have a choice as to whether or not to buy a car, i cant not have a car, im sure everyone on here will call me spoiled or to take a bus, but I want to be able to have a life outside of school and work, and there are no bus's where I live, or any within less than 2-2.5 hours of walking distance.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:56 pm

i say if you make a deal with your dad, get it in writing, so he cant change his mind every 5 minutes............. :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:59 pm

jetbtkng wrote:i say if you make a deal with your dad, get it in writing, so he cant change his mind every 5 minutes............. :drinking:

Dont worry, one requirement ill make is that the car goes in my name. He would prob agree to it, cause he thinks that i dont know that my Florida Prepaid college money is legally mine, he threatens to take that away all the time...
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sasebo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Ya im not saying take a bus or anything but just do the cheapest route possible in terms of a car. Im in California so I know what its like to need a car too. It sucks. For a few years I was in Japan and even then cause of the location I was in I still needed a car. But, it was a piece of crap and I saved alot of money. Money that im now using here in San Diego cause I got laid off. So it just depends on your unique situation. Good luck with it.
Sasebo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ATXguy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Dude, make good grades, hang with decent peps, and have a long view for your life - the car will given to you.
~~2007 Solara V6 Sport Convertible - Blizzard Pearl White~~
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby (K) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:49 pm

"Dad, I want to sit down and talk to you about something. I want to know why you've been treating me differently lately. I've always looked up to you and never meant to disrespect you in any way. If you feel that I've been acting strangely lately then I would like to apologize. That being said, I feel as though I've been treated unfairly lately and I believe I deserve an explanation to why I've been treated so. After all I am your son and I love you like a son loves his father and I believe that the feeling is mutual between us.

Having said that, I'd like for you to take a look at this Hyundai Genesis Coupe that I've been eyeballing for quite some time."
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JMSinMaryland » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds like your birth parents are divorced and you are a constant reminder of her to him so he's lashing out against you. I'm guessing the divorce wasn't friendly and she got a good portion of the money he's made over the years by being a workaholic and not present in your life. Right/wrong?
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Buy the Solara, or move on to a new car?

Postby JMSinMaryland » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:22 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:I almost dont even want the solara anymore, every time i look at it i can only think of being punished for something stupid (this time its because he thinks my gf is taking over my life, going to make me become a bum, and apparently shes making me "forget to do things"

Try this line, "Dad, would you rather me be a bottom to random guys for $13 a screw or spend time with her (gf)." I'm guessing he's going to pick her and then you'll have nothing to argue about.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:12 pm

JMSinMaryland wrote:Sounds like your birth parents are divorced and you are a constant reminder of her to him so he's lashing out against you. I'm guessing the divorce wasn't friendly and she got a good portion of the money he's made over the years by being a workaholic and not present in your life. Right/wrong?

thats creepy how much you know...

Though he was present in my life pre-divorce (divorce happened when i was only 5 or 6 but i remember him always being around), but still worked 24/7

They do get along, and I think sometimes the reason he punishes me is to hurt her.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5