[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - My FIRST CAR might be a 2005 Convertible SLE
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

My FIRST CAR might be a 2005 Convertible SLE

My FIRST CAR might be a 2005 Convertible SLE

Postby biggumst78 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Please bare with me, I am VERY NEW to cars.

But, this may be my first car, and my budget is 15k, so:

http://www.autowesttoyota.com/index.cfm ... SearchList

What do you all think?
biggumst78
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sparky5e » Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 pm

While I feel a Solara is a dependable vehicle, you might want to reconsider your choice for a first car. The visibility for side and rear views is very limited making it challenging to back up or change lanes in tight traffic. The Solara has ample room for 4 but getting in and out of the back seat should be considered as with any 2 door vehicle.

The car you are looking at is very nice, especially for 80,000 miles. I'll let others chime in about the price.
07 SLE Convertable
Blue Streak Metallic
TRD FSTB and RSB, OSB Pedals, OEM Nav, CPE Intake, Stainless sills, "color matching" floor mats
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 pm

it's a koo car. a lil pricey tho. i'd sell you mine for chheaper but its not a vert.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 am

Considering you have a $15k budget I think that SLE with average miles isn't a bad choice if newer used smaller 2-doors are totally out of question. But keep in mind that around 20k miles you would be due for a recommended timing belt and waterpump change ($$$$). I would also recommend having the brakes and tires checked for condition. Ultimately, the most efficient use of your money would be something with lower miles, preferably something with a bumper-to-bumper warranty still intact as to not ruin your "first car experience".
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby N-Dawg » Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 am

I bought my Solara brand new and now with a little over 80k miles it is still running strong without any issues besides having to change the battery and brakes at approx. 65k miles. Love my car!
N-Dawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Tue May 04, 2010 1:45 am

You'll be very happy with that ride. Can't comment on price, but I can say that the blind spots are very easy to get used to. Proper mirror setup and you'll have no troubles on the road. I back into parking spots if the tops up to avoid the blind backout, but other than that, no worries.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: My FIRST CAR might be a 2005 Convertible SLE

Postby jimmm » Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 am

biggumst78 wrote:
What do you all think?

I think it looks beautiful. What do YOU think? I don't believe anyone
can talk you into something or talk you out of something once you have
made up your own mind. Drive that baby and see how YOU like it, and
then it's all over. Good luck and enjoy.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue May 04, 2010 6:43 am

I think the price is about right, in my area (Ohio) dealers aren't giving any special discounts for being an obsolete model and price it at the high-end of the spectrum. Which is good if you own one but not so good if you're looking to buy one.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby linmk2 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, I own a 2006 SLE Navi Convertible. It currently has about 52000 miles. I've owned many cars over my life time, but this one is the only car I've ever owned that has been to the shop zero times in 4.5 years. Other than oil, filter changes and tire rotations. It had the original tire until 3000 miles ago. The car is fairly good on gas. You did not state your age, so I would check on insurance before you take the plunge. As another post mentioned, the car is rather hard to see out. Of course, with the top down, not an issue :lol: As to the price, it seems a bit much to me. I only say that because my lease is up in November of this year and I can buy mine for $14700. Being a 06, my car is a year newer. Anyway, good luck. Report back your decision.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5