[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Spark Plug DIY
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Spark Plug DIY

Spark Plug DIY

Postby NightRider » Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm

So I've searched this forum and found this by luck a post by crispone http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40014

Did you have to replace the manifold gasket? And how long did it take you to do it? The only reason why I dreading to do it because I have never taken off a manifold before. The most i've done is taken off a valve cover to a 2000 celica would it be that of a difficulty level? I already got the spark plugs and I really don't want to pay someone to do this, looks like I can do it myself just a little weary. Any other help would be appreciated :D
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Spark Plug DIY

Postby NightRider » Thu May 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Dang non ya'll done this yourselves?
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri May 21, 2010 6:06 am

Nope... had a shop do mine. I should have had them replace the gasket because I think mine may be letting some air in.
Good luck with your install. I imagine its not too difficult, just didn't have the time.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Mon May 24, 2010 12:21 pm

^^^ same doesnt look that hard but I don't have the time either. How much did the job cost you? If you don't mind me asking?
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 pm

i took mine to a hole-in-the-wall auto shop to do some basic maintenance and i asked about changing the plugs and they said it's too much effort for the gen2 so they didn't wanna do it for me. that's definitely discouraged me from diy
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Mon May 24, 2010 7:46 pm

That sucks man. So stupid on how they put the intake manifold in the way. Like they did it on purpose whoever designed this engine and they know that people will pay to have this simple maintenance done because of the trouble getting to the other three plugs. Damnit man!
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby juankc03 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:57 pm

its not that hard...I did it in an hour. I did not need a new manifold gasket just be careful with it when you remove it. The hardest thing about the job was removing everything that connects to the manifold like, egr, throttle, intake etc etc....and with the correct tools you can do it with out removing all of that stuff. I did it on my 1mzfe shouldnt be to different on the gen 2
juankc03
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 am

^^^ you pretty good with cars? I have same engine as crisp the 3mf v6 your layout the same?
Injen polished SRI
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but just wanted to add some info. First, expect this job to take you between 3-6 hours depending on your skill level. I spent a little over 4 hours working, an hour of which was on the three bolts on the back of the manifold. I replaced the intake plenum gasket, which was only like $10 on amazon. I got the denso iridium plugs for around $10 each shipped from amazon as well. To make things easier I bought a gearwrench flexhead stubby 12mm and 14mm for those tough bolts behind the manifold. Without those I couldn't have reached them. The plastic tabs on the coil packs are extremely brittle, 4 out of 6 of mine broke with the slightest touch (I'm in AZ with 108k miles so everything plastic and rubber is in bad shape). I had to replace a bunch of small hoses that were brittle and not re-usable. Those hoses are generic and cheap at the auto parts store. The car started on the first try, so the steps for taking apart and reassembling aren't difficult, but the little things made this a job a lot longer. Plan on laying on your stomach across the engine bay a lot too for that back bank.

BTW there's an excellent youtube video on changing the plugs, very detailed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnq-2SfZ1k
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5