[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Beware of Deer
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Beware of Deer

Beware of Deer

Postby steve-o » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:28 am

It's been a while since I've visited. Thought you'd like to see what a 2006 Solara SE looks like after coliding with a Deer on the GSP in NJ. This car with it's 5 spd took me a 1.5 years to find. 60k on it, and not a problem. Now.. a farking deer took out my ride..Initial estimate was 7,200.00, then they found that the ABS module was cracked. That added another 2500. So total damages are 9700.00. The good news is no one got hurt, the airbag didn't deploy, though if it did they'd probably total the car.. Nationwide their on your side. thats what they tell me every f'in time a speak with someone there :) - check it out:

steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Beware of Deer

Postby LEE337 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:47 am

Holy Sh!t dude!!!
Thats insane.
That must have been one big a$$ deer!

They say if you absolutly have to hit a deer. While under extreme braking while trying not to hit the deer. Right before impact hit the gas so that the car raises up and the deer goes under the car. Ive hit a couple deer in my day.
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 am

car's a car. at least you're safe!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 pm

LEE337 wrote:Holy Sh!t dude!!!
Thats insane.

They say if you absolutly have to hit a deer. While under extreme braking while trying not to hit the deer. Right before impact hit the gas so that the car raises up and the deer goes under the car. Ive hit a couple deer in my day.

sounds like a challenge for mythbusters lol
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby LEE337 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm

kingkakyle wrote:
LEE337 wrote:Holy Sh!t dude!!!
Thats insane.

sounds like a challenge for mythbusters lol

I love that show! :D
Ive learned so much from watching Mythbusters.
My fav was when they blew up the cement truck. :lol:
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Was the DEER OKAY??? :o

...of course, I'm grateful that you made it...

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby steve-o » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm

yah, Crispone - the deer lover...Guess you can relate.. Well. I hate the rodents now. It wasn't a big deer, and I was going 50-55. I asked the cop what happened to the deer. He told me there were 2 and they went into the woods and died. Someone else hit one after me. The GSP is such a crappy road. I always thought I'd hit another car or a wall, but a deer?..oh well. 10k to fix a 2006 se. stock. When you hit a deer in NY or NJ it's considered comprehensive, not collision.
steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:45 pm

The damage really doesn't seem 10k worth at all... You could've got another Solara with that money.
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:04 am

Just be thankful that you wasn't drop.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby steve-o » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:25 am

mig0s wrote:The damage really doesn't seem 10k worth at all... You could've got another Solara with that money.

I agree. Freaking Insurance companies. At first the adjuster and the collision shop owner agreed on 6700.00 or so. That's below the insurance co's idea of totaled. Then while repairing the car they found a broken ABS module. So, the ins co can't back out since work already started so add another 2500.. The guy at the body shop told me if they find anything else they'll probably have to total the car. Which leads me to beleive they won't look for anything else. It sucks but it's out of my control and like you all said I could have been a goner, so the car saved me. Had I'd been driving an Echo, or whatever, the ending might have been very different.
I should mention that the root cause of the accident was NOT taking the time to stop for my morning Dunkin Doughnuts. I was on my way but the sun glare was so bad I had to turn around and head straight for work. Had I stopped at DD odds are I would not have hit the oversize rodent. Yes, you can probably buy another Solara for 10k but try finding a 5-spd manual..In my area they are non-existant. I've been looking for a 99-2003 v6-6spd for years. 1995-1996 camry coupes? Never see them around my ways, let alone 5 spds..
Later - Steve
steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Steve, I'm sorry for you, for your car, and for the deer, and I hope you and the car will be put back together again. I guess the poor deer is out of its misery now. I have seen worse LOOKING damage from a deer hit, so I bet the lower speed helped you out a lot. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction. Thank God you're OK and may God Bless and keep you safe going forward.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I have yet to see a stickshift Gen 2 in my neck of the woods, so yeah, you have a rare car indeed. Hope they don't total it. If they do, don't believe that BS where they tell you they are totaling it for your own safety, everybody knows they total cars to save money first and your safety last.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby NightRider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

First off good thing you are ok to come back and post what happened. Second that deer hit straight into your headlight, and third that does not look like 7k in damages. What a messed up fender, no headlight,messed up bumper and hood? Maybe some engine components?! Come on that shop is rippin your insurance company off! But that's what you pay car insurance premiums for, but still it's very obvious that's way over estimated....
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby steve-o » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. The insurance company sends an adjuster to the collision shop, so it's the ins co condoning these ridiculousely high prices. It was 9200.00 with the broken ABS they found after the initial 7600.00 estimate. I got my car back today. Looks great. Drives great and then.. I cracked the sunroof open..didn't sound right. the tilt function doesn't work right. I have to keep my hand on the button to tilt it. Then to close it I have to keep pressing the switch. I used to just press it once and it opened. Press it again it closes. The sunroof won't open all the way unless I keep my hand on the switch. Closing it same thing I can't just press it once and let it do it's thing. Nothing comes easy.. nothing.. :). And it's just a car..
steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:04 pm

^ In regards to your sunroof comment, it does that after you disconnect the battery. All of you have to do is reset it by opening the sunroof by holding the button all the ways down until you see the window completely open and you hear a like a second click coming from the sunroof motor. Now close it like you would usually do by tapping it once and it should work fine.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5