[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Best Car Cover?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Best Car Cover?

Best Car Cover?

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 am

Right now, my Solara sits safely in the garage. Next year in college, it will be sitting in an uncovered parking lot with Florida's sunshine beaming down on it all day in 95-110 degree weather during the summer. Naturally, I want my car to still be covered. What is a good cover to get for it? The conditions would obviously be a lot of rain and a lot of UV rays hitting it, I don't plan on taking up the front stalls, so i don't think dings will be a worry, I always park at the back of parking lots.

Obviously cheaper is better, but I want the quality to be very good. And I prefer a custom cover so it looks nice even when covered, though I guess that's not a necessity.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Best Car Cover?

Postby NightRider » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I would say for a decent car cover your looking at spending 50$ or more.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LEE337 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 pm

I think your gona spend well over $100 for a good quality car cover.
My thoughts are that its gona be closer to $200.

I bought a no name ebay car cover, huge mistake.
I paid somewhere around $40-50 for a POS cover.
It claimed to be waterproof which was my only concern at the time. (had no sunroof due to the glass blowing off)

So I get the cover and I could tell this thing is not fukin waterproof.
I even tested it before putting it on my Lara out in the rain. FAIL!!! :evil:

Didnt have the cash to buy another and the ebay a$$hole would not refund my money. Whatever :roll:
So I Scotch-Guarded the roof portion of the cover.
It took 3 large cans of name brand "Scotch-Gaurd" to completely waterproof the roof of the cover.

It worked at first, but noticed a very light moisture film on the arm rest and steering wheel after a few weeks.
I was upset. So I got some duct tape and taped up the roof portion of the cover. (2 big rolls)
I think that worked better than the scotch-guard.

The point to all of this is buy a researched cover, NOT some crap of of ebay.
If you want a great car cover your gona spend some coin for that kinda protection.
Look for the ones with layers, 3-4 layeres seem to be necessary for any sort of good protection.

Good Luck!!! 8)
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 pm

^^ that sucks about your car, and your car cover, did you ever get the sunroof fixed?

This is what im considering right now, its 295 for the Solara version, alot of money to drop on a cover, but looks extremely high quality and perfect for my needs.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Coverking-Stormproof.html
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DSM_Lara » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm

My uncle has a car cover that covers the whole car. When I mean whole I mean whole. First car has to drive over cover than top part is zipper on together. Car is an Ford Mustang GT `67. Very mint and is an 10 second car. He bought the cover somewhere online. I'll try to find out.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby LEE337 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:^^ that sucks about your car, and your car cover, did you ever get the sunroof fixed?

The video that my friend just so happen to be taking when the glass blew out @109mph.

The Aftermath

Took it to Texas Auto Trim in Houston and they fixed me up real nice.

The car cover link you posted looks a bit weak.
Not sayin that they dont offer a quality product, but their website looks too plain and simple.
They dont show all the layers that the cover has either.
Do some more research if possible.
The cover they show on the Mercedes looks like a black bed sheet. :-?
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GzNutz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm

I'd probably stay clear of a black cover if the car is going to be in the sun.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 am

UCF has parking garages, the school you are choosing should have some as well.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:42 pm

DriDed wrote:UCF has parking garages, the school you are choosing should have some as well.

They do... if i want to park over a mile away from my dorm. Only covered garages are for classes, dorms have a normal parking lot
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5