[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Ceramic brake pads - noise?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Ceramic brake pads - noise?

Ceramic brake pads - noise?

Postby cynix » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey guys,

A few months ago I've replaced all four warped rotors on my 2005 with drilled/slotted ones, and they came with PowerStop Evolution ceramic pads.
The pads give a medium hissing/grinding noise when braking, especially when they are warm (after a few miles). This doesn't bother me - but what does is that there is a permanent light hissing sound (also audible when brakes are warm) when coasting at a slow speed and when I do not apply the brakes, as if a pad is always lightly touching the rotor. The caliper doesn't seem to be dragging (at least all wheels are uniformly warm - are there other ways to check?). Also, when replacing the rotors/pads I've noticed that calipers do not have the spring clips that force the pads apart (I used to have those on other Toyotas I had before), so I guess that could be the issue - are there any aftermarket options? Or should I just scrap the pads and go get something else?
Your help is appreciated!

---
2005 SE CV V6, 80K mi
cynix
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Ceramic brake pads - noise?

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 am

With no pressure on the brake pedal during driving the pads should NOT be in contact with the rotor at all. Normally the pads should be just far away from the rotor to slip a thin sheet of paper in-between. As you eluded to the constant contact problem is usually found to be a stuck ("frozen") caliper. If that's not it, then that opens the door to a myriad of possibilities--fluid pressure, incorrect rotor/pad thickness from the manufacturer, etc.

Also, I, too, heard rubbing once but it wasn't my pads, I found the culprit to be my emergency brake shoes. The return(?) spring in the rear was shattered from corrosion and the shoes were constantly rubbing. Just something else to check.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Re: Ceramic brake pads - noise?

Postby gnegroni » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 pm

You might want to check the E-brake shoes or frozen calipers first, but I experienced similar problems since I changed my rear pads to those you are using. I'm thinking the culprit might be incorrect thickness (out-of-spec) pads, but since you also purchased the calipers, I can't say.

What sucks more is that I could have purchased the Toyota OEM pads for the same price I got the PepBoys ceramics (same stuff).
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5