[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - sunroof jams
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

sunroof jams

sunroof jams

Postby will » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 am

My 2006 Solara Sport Cp.sunroof will not open, I can get it to open about one inch, then it stops. You can see that on the drivers side that it hangs up a second after you push the open botton. The tilt up and down works fine. I took it to Toyota and they said they would need to drop the headliner and that it would take some time to do that. I said OK! and when I dropped off the car it was inside less than a 1/2 hour and the service tech said it would need cables, track, and a new motor costing $2500. They never pulled the headline all the wanted was my $100.00 and said they knew I would not want to spend $2500.
My question and where I need help is, How do you remove the headline to check the track? What is my problem, I know I'am not the first one with this problem--where do I start.

I just got this Solara in June with 48K so problems with Solara are new to me--NEED HELP
will
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: sunroof jams

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 am

Make sure the sunroof is calibrated. Usually if the battery was disconnected due to previous work on the car all the windows and sunroof need the spacing calibrated. (Check here: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-10-31_164904_04_sienna7.pdf) Also, check to see visually if there's a bug, twig, nickel, etc in the track (i.e. getting a mirror and checking the back and sides with the panel popped up). If the sunroof encounters any resistance/obstruction it will back off it's intended direction (built in safety feature). If no blockage start with the cheapest possible fix first--WD40 sprayed along the rails. Try those two first and respond back.

And I just gotta say a lil' somethin' about the people working at this dealership of yours--they deserve to be shot in the nuts with a loaded .410 Taurus Judge with shredder rounds....unless they were on some pretty bad crystal meth then I would say have pity and just pistol-whip and jackboot them. :bad-words: To tell a customer it costs $2500 to replace a sunroof is uncalled for--don't go back there. Getting a power sunroof installed is roughly under $1500 at most ripoff shops, let alone one replaced. I'm having a hard time believing you need a motor AND new tracks--getting one fixed will definitely, definitely not cost you $2500. Your symptom does not sound like a blown motor at all (or else it wouldn't even travel an inch or pop-up or do so with alotta noise). I highly suggest that if the problem can't be solved by the two methods above that you seek a second opinion from an independent shop that installs them.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby will » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Black Bob wrote:Make sure the sunroof is calibrated. Usually if the battery was disconnected due to previous work on the car all the windows and sunroof need the spacing calibrated. (Check here: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-10-31_164904_04_sienna7.pdf) Also, check to see visually if there's a bug, twig, nickel, etc in the track (i.e. getting a mirror and checking the back and sides with the panel popped up). If the sunroof encounters any resistance/obstruction it will back off it's intended direction (built in safety feature). If no blockage start with the cheapest possible fix first--WD40 sprayed along the rails. Try those two first and respond back.

And I just gotta say a lil' somethin' about the people working at this dealership of yours--they deserve to be shot in the nuts with a loaded .410 Taurus Judge with shredder rounds....unless they were on some pretty bad crystal meth then I would say have pity and just pistol-whip and jackboot them. :bad-words: To tell a customer it costs $2500 to replace a sunroof is uncalled for--don't go back there. Getting a power sunroof installed is roughly under $1500 at most ripoff shops, let alone one replaced. I'm having a hard time believing you need a motor AND new tracks--getting one fixed will definitely, definitely not cost you $2500. Your symptom does not sound like a blown motor at all (or else it wouldn't even travel an inch or pop-up or do so with alotta noise). I highly suggest that if the problem can't be solved by the two methods above that you seek a second opinion from an independent shop that installs them.

I forgot to add that the dealer unpluged the power to the switch so I am dead in the water. I need to drop the headline to connect the power and check the cables. The service tech said they were bad and if one broke I would not be able to close the roof. Thanks Guy! I need the help and glad so far for the information Will
will
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:18 pm

I second black bobs post. Man that stealership you went sucks ass!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5