[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Problemo with my brakes '04
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Problemo with my brakes '04

Problemo with my brakes '04

Postby Hammer1080p » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

so im not sure why this is, but since i got my car my breaks haven’t been too good. i just had a break service done to help improve my stopping distance. but the main issue is that the brake pedal goes in very deep almost to the floor. My pads n discs are still in good condition but I’m thinking it may be the master cylinder or something of that nature. any suggestions for what I can do, or any theories to why this is happening?
I’d appreciate any input,

i hope this post is in the correct section.
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Problemo with my brakes '04

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Did they bleed the brake lines?
that could possibly be it.

and you should have posted in the gen2 section
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Black Bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree, take it back to where you got it serviced and tell them to bleed the brake line correctly. There should be no change in brake pedal travel after a normal pad change. For your own safety, before you drive it, pop the hood make sure the fluid level in the master cylinder is not too full or too low.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Hammer1080p » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Hey guys I check the fluid level as often as I can. There was also no air in the line
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Hammer1080p » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey guys so I checked the air lines again bled them once again. There was no air, and the brake fluid is at the level it should be at. Is there any way of finding out if it is the master cylinder?

The brake service was done by myself and my cousin. He knows what he's doing I just sit there n hold the light....

Is there anybody that has had this same situation?!
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:00 am

Hammer1080p wrote:The brake service was done by myself and my cousin. He knows what he's doing I just sit there n hold the light

Sorry I can't help...but I just thought this was funny, haha! :D
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 am

Hammer1080p wrote:
The brake service was done by myself and my cousin. He knows what he's doing I just sit there n hold the light....

LOL that's what I did for the cp-e wiring too. Good luck on finding your answer. You said that you've had it every since you got the car. Are you sure you're just not used to the Solara brakes? Every car has a different feel to it...
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby youngblood » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:01 pm

My wife's 02 camry has had the master cylinder replaced because of a low pedal and poor performance (braking). She still doesnt feel very reassured by the pedal feel and I can't really argue. My 04 will put your a$$ through the windshield if i jam the brakes but curiously it stops better if i pump the pedal once first. This would suggest to me that the system needs to be bled but I have already tried and i know what I'm doing. No air that i saw.
My 2 cents: The master cylinders seem somewhat prone to problems and/or these cars are a biotch to bleed for some reason (abs module?).
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Hammer1080p » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 pm

youngblood wrote:My wife's 02 camry has had the master cylinder replaced because of a low pedal and poor performance (braking). She still doesnt feel very reassured by the pedal feel and I can't really argue. My 04 will put your a$$ through the windshield if i jam the brakes but curiously it stops better if i pump the pedal once first. This would suggest to me that the system needs to be bled but I have already tried and i know what I'm doing. No air that i saw.
My 2 cents: The master cylinders seem somewhat prone to problems and/or these cars are a biotch to bleed for some reason (abs module?).

hey youngblood,

thanks for your input..ill look into master cylinders. i dont know what else i can do at this point..i constantly check the brake fluid levels and it remains the same...
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Like youngblood said.... After you first start up you lara just try pumping the brake while you're still in park. If my pedal feels sloppy, I just pump it a couple times and it firms right up (and stays that way for a couple days).
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Hammer1080p » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:45 am

GzNutz wrote:Like youngblood said.... After you first start up you lara just try pumping the brake while you're still in park. If my pedal feels sloppy, I just pump it a couple times and it firms right up (and stays that way for a couple days).

ive tried that while the car is off, pumped the brakes and then the pedal stiffens up.. then when I start the car it just drops to the floor...

anyways..I took it to the dealership for them todo a brake inspection and they said it was a brake booster..for them to get it and install $750+...
the booster costs 260...give me a break...
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 am

^^^Dang, that's roughly calculates to about $60-70/hour (US) they would charge for labor which sounds like the financial raping we normally get here in the States but it also sounds like they're saying it's gonna take a whole day. And as we all know 6-8 hours of work equates to a whole week in "dealership time". I would definitely shop around for a brake shop that only does mufflers and brakes or just brakes to cut down on wait times and costs.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby GreenSolara01 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:14 pm

WOW guys no one could help here? SAD!

...i have the same problem and if i get it fig out ill post back
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 am

I've pretty much commented on all the brake booster threads regarding gen1. The 99's had an issue. Not sure about you guys. I got my replacement from ebay for a good price, lifetime warranty. If you find that the gen2 are same as gen1, gregtrd is selling a booster.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GreenSolara01 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 pm

I have the same problem. About 2 years ago I had to replace the booster because of it hissing. I made the mistake of letting Meineke do it; they didn’t adjust the pedal at all, they were no help after I got it back. I'll never go back there again or any other shop for that matter.

Currently the brakes are still sloppy. I just replaced Rotors, Pads, and Lines. I’ve bled the brakes enough to go through three bottles (big ones) of Dot 3/4. Still don’t know what the problem could be. If it was ABS module I would think it would throw a code but I also wonder about the master. I'm not sure what symptoms the master would have if it was failing.
Could there still be Air in the system from the crap that shop did?
The pedal is soft but the brakes do start to slow down but even with pressure on it won’t stop the car unless you press down hard.
When the car is off the pedal stiffens up but I can still push it half down if I press hard.
It’s strange so I would appreciate any help It might help a lot of us out.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5