[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - couple questions about my 06 solara v6 SE
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

couple questions about my 06 solara v6 SE

couple questions about my 06 solara v6 SE

Postby sspanzer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 pm

1. my 06 solara V6 SE has got more then 45k miles on it, without getting any tune ups. I'm not sure if i should go to the carshop/dealer to do some regular tune ups, like changing spark plugs. what do you guys do?

2. Speaking of spark plugs, does the new solara have platinum spark plugs, or the regular ones that need to be replaced/cleaned very 30k miles?

3. My solara now has some air leaking problem on both sides of the windows. I think it's because the rubber seals are leaking air so there are some whistling noise if speed is over 50m/h. If i need to fix the problem, is Toyota dealer the only place to go, or I can try any car repair shops?

I'm pretty new to car, so any advise is very welcome.
Thanks
sspanzer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: couple questions about my 06 solara v6 SE

Postby corlon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

don't know about 1 or 2, but 3 you could go to a autoglass repair shop or bodyshop. if you bring it to the dealer they will probably just bring it to one of those types of places i'm guessing.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 pm

i haven't changed plugs on my car and im at 62k on my 05
i dont think u need to do "tune-ups" anymore, just regular maintenance like oil and stuff
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:42 am

The iridium-tipped spark plugs should last you 100k miles, you could get a tune-up now but unless you're experiencing any problems at 45k miles I would not worry about it. (Note: recommended spark plug change on Gen 2's according to Toyota is at 120k miles.) Theoretically iridium is tougher than platinum and if you ever did switch one for the other I'd doubt you'd notice the difference during normal driving, however being that the OEM plugs are iridium I'd would suggest replacing it with what you have. And, yeah, I'd ALSO get guidance from an auto glass place before asking anything window related from a dealership. Some dealerships usually hire those same EXACT guys to install it anyway but financally rape you on the upcharge.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby sspanzer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks guys. You are helpful.
I'm getting about only 22-24 mpg on highways, that's why I suspect something might need to be tuned-up. Is it normal?
sspanzer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 am

It all depends on your foot and the type of highway, my daily commute to work mostly consists of 20% twisty streets and 80% straight highway--I'm getting about 27-30mpg going 70mph on the highway. The biggest factor for me is that I work away from downtown in the countryside so my side of the freeway is always desolate; if you have any type of slowdowns on the freeway then seeing mid 20's would be about right. If you find yourself not putting steady and constant pressure on the pedal because of traffic, hills, semi-trucks, cops, roadkill, etc. on your commute then getting to 28-31mpg might be a struggle.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5