[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Intake Plenum Gasket and the spark plugs from hell
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Intake Plenum Gasket and the spark plugs from hell

Intake Plenum Gasket and the spark plugs from hell

Postby ahausheer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 pm

On my gen 2 V6 recently had the plugs changed and was not charged for any gaskets. Isn't the intake plenum gasket required to be changed when you pull the plenum??? Is it possible that Pep Boys did it wrong? Also why did Toyota make those plugs to hard to get at? 150 bucks plus parts for 6 PLUGS???????
ahausheer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Intake Plenum Gasket and the spark plugs from hell

Postby 1gSE » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm

DIY, save money. I'm not sure how hard it is changin plugs on a gen2. Some people say they can't change the rear bank on a gen 1 w/o removing the manifold, I can get to mine just fine. But it thats what pep boys did.....you paid for labor
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 am

i think the gen2 spark plugs really are a biznatch to get at. my family mechanic at first didn't even wanna change it for me cuz it was a pain in the ass but I've never tried it.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ahausheer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Commenting on my own post here but,

The Gen 2 V6 you must remove the intake plenum to get to the last 2 plugs, socket wrench with all sorts of swivels, lengths, magic, etc will not be enough. Anyway does anyone know if the intake plenum gasket is rubber or metal I have seen it referred to as both on this site?
ahausheer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

^^^ The intake gasket is a red rubber piece.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 pm

It's a fact, even with the right tools the back plugs are damn near inaccessible. I talked my mechanic into changing my belts but when I called him about replacing the plugs later he laughed and just hung up on me. It wasn't the first time I had someone hang up on me by slamming the phone down.....I just wonder how da hell he did it since he was on a cellphone!!
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby NightRider » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Black Bob wrote:It's a fact, even with the right tools the back plugs are damn near inaccessible. I talked my mechanic into changing my belts but when I called him about replacing the plugs later he laughed and just hung up on me. It wasn't the first time I had someone hang up on me by slamming the phone down.....I just wonder how da hell he did it since he was on a cellphone!!

Wow your mechanic is a prick!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BlackSolara » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

the plugs are not easy on the V6 but not impossible. You need a long handle flex head ratchet, 6inch wobble extension, with a swivel at the end. Snap On sells the right tools.
BlackSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GNasty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:54 am

No- when I changed out all but the inner middle plug (V6 3.3) I removed the plenum intake etc and used same gasket. These aren't GM or chrysler crap--the gaskets toyota used on our cars are great. I dont have any oil leaks or air vac issues unlike American cars I've regretfully owned.
I also removed strut bar and other stuff to change backside plugs. I was unable to get to that dam middle one.
I'm afraid to try again but maybe this weekend. I used Bosche platinum plugs which some people here wouldn't use but they are excellent- I have perfect engine performance and gained mileage.
I have also used Bosche premium (super class) oxygen sensors which are excellent.
It takes several special tools and planning to change the 3 plugs nearest window. But that one in the middle is INSANE.
Good Luck-
GNasty
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 am

NightRider wrote:
Black Bob wrote:It's a fact, even with the right tools the back plugs are damn near inaccessible. I talked my mechanic into changing my belts but when I called him about replacing the plugs later he laughed and just hung up on me. It wasn't the first time I had someone hang up on me by slamming the phone down.....I just wonder how da hell he did it since he was on a cellphone!!

Wow your mechanic is a prick!

Naw, he was just effing with me--it's all good, I would've hanged up on myself if I were to do the plugs myself...........which reminds me, he never did get back to me on that hmmmmm. :-?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5