[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Tire Pressure Monitoring System Help
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Help

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Help

Postby inphluence » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 pm

I have a 2005 2.4L Solara and my TPMS light is acting up. I was driving up to Vegas when it first went off so I stopped and filled up the tires, reset the light and off I went. About 20 minutes later it came back up so I assumed the PSI gauge at the stop was just off so I refilled again when I made it to Las Vegas. I filled it up to about 34 PSI, reset the light, and let it be. The light then came up again. I decided to fill it up again and test it with a new gauge and the PSI was around 34 PSI which is 2 more than the 32 recommended. I am now sure it is the sensor because I can drive around and the light will come on, but I can reset it when I am at a red light. Is there any tips or tricks to get this possibly fixed? Thanks!
2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L 5-speed
inphluence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Help

Postby Gadgetjq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 am

Are you resetting correctly? If you just push the button the light will go off but the system isn't reset. The light will come on again fairly quickly (your experience.) To reset correctly hold the button in. The light will go out then will flash several times. When the flashing stops the system is reset. That's when you can release the button.

The '05 system uses the anti-lock brake wheel sensors to determine whether one wheel on the same axle is turning faster/slower than the other. Overfilling the tires won't do anything but give you a rougher ride or could be dangerous if you've exceeded the max pressure on the tire sidewall. Just be sure both tires on the same axle are inflated to whatever spec you choose and reset the light correctly. You'll be good to go after that.

Cheers
Gadgetjq
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby inphluence » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info and making me go "duh!" I was used to my previous car which when you pressed and held the button down for about two seconds, the light would just turn off. I just tried it right now with holding the button and letting it flash after a few seconds. I did not get the instruction manual for this car as it was used so I assumed that you refill, press and hold until the light disappears. What was funny that if I just pressed and held the button until it went away, it would not come back for an hour or even a whole day of light driving.

I only overfilled a little bit just due to the gauge reading possibly being incorrect. I also wanted to do a cold tire pressure check and deflation in the morning since the gauge I purchased is accurate. I usually do +1 PSI of the auto makers recommendation.

I really appreciate the info on how it works and the help! I figured it would be something with the braking system since I know these cars don't use that transmitter.
2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L 5-speed
inphluence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 am

The other thing to remember is that after you reset it, driving on somewhat straight roads for awhile prevents the warning light from coming on prematurely months later...but overall, the technology of judging tire rotation is not the best which is why Toyota switched to actual individual tire sensors in 2007. And unless you drive in a straight line for the remainder of ownership, you'll probably find yourself resetting more than once a year.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5