[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need to have my windshield replaced - what did you pay?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Need to have my windshield replaced - what did you pay?

Need to have my windshield replaced - what did you pay?

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

Hey all,

I have a sudden, major crack in my windshield (got behind the wrong semi), and need to have my windshield replaced. I've called several places, and I'm shocked at how expensive the job is for my '07 SE Coupe. The lowest quote I've received so far is $246.53 from a local shop. I'm a Costco member and Safelite has a deal with them where we get $25 off, and they still wouldn't go below $264 (with coupon) even when I said I was going with the other shop.

So, my question is, what did you guys pay if/when you had to have your windshields replaced? Any advice on a good shop (I live near Detroit), or general advice on brands (I know PPG is good)? Any and all help is appreciated.

I searched around a bit and found a few threads where people talked about the price they paid, but most were for Gen 1s and the conversation took place in '03, '04.

Thanks,

- YDD
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Need to have my windshield replaced - what did you pay?

Postby NightRider » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

Honestly, you are better going with OEM brand and also if you have the temperature sensor on your rear view mirror it the replacement will cost a bit more because of that. I remember when I had my driver rear quarter panel window shattered that thing costed me 360 because it's a rare window and the dude hooked me up with at cost for OEM. Do you have the temperature sensor on your rear view mirror?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29 pm

My temperature gauge is on the cluster above the vents, but I'm not sure about the sensor. How can I tell?
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Just look where your rear view mirror is at and where its connected to the window you will see this black looking film that covers the top center of your window.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby HomeboyMI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

I had my windshield replaced when I was in Oxford, MI. Safelite did it and the glass is slightly distorted compared to the original Toyota glass. They also did a lousy job installing the new weatherstrip around the glass. I can't remember the price but I boosted my insurance up (GMAC) to cover any future breaks. These windshields break easily.
HomeboyMI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThurzNite » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 am

Lowest I've done is $100 installed, guy comes out to you. Besides OEM, it's the best glass I've seen.
But usually I budget for $300 for top quality workmanship. But like Homeboy said above, it's the quality of glass that's important. So whoever you decide to change your windshield, ask them about the glass, and inspect it before installation.

I've heard claims that cracks less than the length of a dollar bill can be repaired. I don't have personal experience with that, nor have I seen in person what it looks like. How big is your crack?

As for myself, I did a dime-sized pit using the patch kit from AutoZone. Worked very well, you can barely tell.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GREEN_RANGER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 am

i payed $300 for an oem replacement with labor included.
GREEN_RANGER
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jimmm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm

2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 pm

ThurzNite wrote: How big is your crack?

Dr J

l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby CmeFLY » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 am

out here in new york i got it replaced for $100 installed. im very pleased with it. no leaks of air and it looks like nothing happened.
[2006 3.3 SLE]---[2 12' Kenwood subs]---[ECLIPSE DOUBLEDIN]---[INJEN SRI]---[TRD RSB/ FSB/ SPRINGS COMING SOON]---[15% tint front 5% tint rear]---[8000k top / 3000k bottom]
CmeFLY
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5