[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - baking soda...
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

baking soda...

baking soda...

Postby leslie_eilsel » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm

to clean your stock alloy wheels? Has anyone tried this, and does it work? If not, what is best? I tried Meguiar's wheel cleaner and it left a residue from the spray drip of the product :(
leslie_eilsel
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: baking soda...

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 pm

i just use soap and water.....
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 am

leslie_eilsel wrote:to clean your stock alloy wheels? Has anyone tried this, and does it work? If not, what is best? I tried Meguiar's wheel cleaner and it left a residue from the spray drip of the product :(

You need to RINSE much more thoroughly to prevent that. I use "ALL WHEEL" by Eagle One. It's not bad for a quick-n-dirty clean up, then to really get them right, you'd need to go back and hand/wheel polish them with something... also removes any residue that way.

Tough to keep rims clean when vehicle is a DD... and especially if you drive HARD and generate a lot of road grime and brake dust like I do. ALL WHEEL is pretty handy for the periodic run through the car wash to maintain some semblance of clean.

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:16 am

Although most wheel cleaners (especially the one's hyped as "just rinse off") state they need no rubbing, it does help to rub/wipe while it's on. Also, although it doesn't say, I feel it should be required to dry off the rim after rinse. Good quality tire and rim cleaners are some caustic stuff--needed to break up dirt, dust and grime (hence why it leaves semi-permanent marks on your once pristine driveway)--and needs to be thoroughly rinsed off and dried. Most don't state "dry off for better results" on the label because they need to hype up their 'ease-of-use' gimmick.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 am

Armor All has this funky dust/dirt repellent. I've been meaning to test it. I've used it on all 4 wheels, and it repels wet stuff really well. But I wanna test right side protected, left side unprotected, and see how much better it repels dirt. But using hawk hp plus track pads on daily driver, as stated above, is a losing battle against brake dust!

http://www.armorall.com/products/view_p ... ndex=wheel

Watch the video, it's funny..

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 pm

I never use ANY wheel cleaner. They are soo harsh. They will eat the clearcoat/finish off aluminum wheels as well as chrome plating.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby leslie_eilsel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm

thx guys, im determined to get them clean!
leslie_eilsel
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 am

SoSleek wrote:I never use ANY wheel cleaner. They are soo harsh. They will eat the clearcoat/finish off aluminum wheels as well as chrome plating.

I've had a friend use some simple green and yup, ruined the clearcoat.

OP: How about a high pressure washer?

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby James123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 am

Crisp,

Where did you find a grill like that? I would love to find one for my black and white '07.
James123
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bakerstone1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I have had the best luck with baking soda and a ShamWow. But you need to make sure that you put the ShamWow in the washer and dryer first. I know, I know, they say not to do this, but if you are just using one on your wheels, what is the harm? Right? Trust me - wash it first and then mix baking soda and water in a bucket, apply with the ShamWow and your wheels will shine like a mirror!
bakerstone1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby leslie_eilsel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 pm

i finally tried the baking soda, and wow, it came off really easily, and stuff that was on there for a long time that i could never get off before, thanks bakerstone1 you rock!
leslie_eilsel
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Next time I rotate my tires I'll dunk them in a tub of baking soda/water mix.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 am

Hell, I might try it. Sick of using the store bought stuff that stains me driveway...
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5