[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Repaint
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Repaint

Repaint

Postby JSTKVC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm

I am interested in repainting my 2006 Solara. The paint is not oxidized but there are many nicks and scratches, some dents and just not as much luster as when it was brand new. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to have it restored to the factory quality paint finish and take care of the dents? Also a ballpark cost will be helpful. Thanks in advanced!
2006 Solara V6 SLE Convertible - best car ever owned, enjoyed in moderation
2010 Prius - Daily Driver
2011 Lexus 450h
JSTKVC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Repaint

Postby Black Bob » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:30 am

I don't have a clue to what bodyshops charge in LA but costs still depends on how big, how many and where the dents are located. If there are dents sporadically all around they might need to strip, repair and paint the WHOLE car--that's alotta labor and alotta money. If it's just a dent here and a dent there then a spot repair and spot blending--a little less cost. Also, you need to find out if you have triple-stage paint scheme which takes a little longer and also experience. So in other words it would be best to just do the leg work and get estimates from different bodyshops....preferably one that has repaired a Solara before. Dealership shops would (should) have the most experience but will financially rape you, independent shops will no doubt be cheaper but you'll have some slight fingernail biting when they unveil the results. I personally use my buddy's independent shop (shown in my avatar), mine was the first 'Lara he worked on but since he got it right the first time I can't imagine going anywhere else now.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Xtrios » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

JSTKVC wrote:I am interested in repainting my 2006 Solara. The paint is not oxidized but there are many nicks and scratches, some dents and just not as much luster as when it was brand new. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to have it restored to the factory quality paint finish and take care of the dents? Also a ballpark cost will be helpful. Thanks in advanced!

I have the same issues and thinking about buying one of those toyota touch paint markers, but don't want it to look tacky.
Last edited by Xtrios on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xtrios
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JSTKVC » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 am

I'm planning to get a quote from a body shop that does work for the local Toyota and Lexus dealerships. I will post the estimated cost for a full repaint.
2006 Solara V6 SLE Convertible - best car ever owned, enjoyed in moderation
2010 Prius - Daily Driver
2011 Lexus 450h
JSTKVC
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5