[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ECM wont reset
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

ECM wont reset

ECM wont reset

Postby ozzieny » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 am

Please Help! I installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2004 Solora SE 4 cylinder and right after doing so I have encountered several problems. First, the car began to stall. Second the engine began vibrating abnormally. Also, i took the car to toyota and they said the ECM is not resetting - they advised me to drive the car until the drive cycle is complete and return it to check and see if the ECM rests. I have driven the car several hundred miles and it still has these problems. An electrician told me that there is a special adapter that needs to be used when installing an aftermarket radio when replacing the stock radio. He said the stock radio has a chip and when removed messes with the ECM. He said it seems like the ECM was damaged. IS this possible? Toyota wants to charge me $120 to begin checking this - I dont even know where to turn.

Is it advisable to replace teh ECM with a used ECM and have it installed? AN ECM runs around $500-600 - I can get a used one for $75 - If so, how is it programmed? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am not mechanically adept. I appreciate any help here. Thanks Ozzieny feel free to call me if you like - I need all the advice I can get. 917-657-4042
ozzieny
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: ECM wont reset

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 am

That doesn't sound right at all. Questions:
- Did you disconnect the battery when installing the stereo?
- What harness adapter did you use for the install? Where did it come from?
- Have you tried pulling the plugs on the new stereo.

To damage the ECM in a stereo install is a longshot. If you disconnected the battery then there's no way to do it. If not, all I could think of is if you goofed up the common ground in which case the ECM would not be your only electrical issue.

Disconnect the battery overnight after pulling all connections for that stereo. If the problems are still happening and you think the ECM is at fault, it's cheaper to get a junkyard ECM. For a 2004 I4, it's getting easier to find wreck victims. No need to pay Toyota service. It's a simple swap. (Not sure if you'll need any data update from the dealer after but I doubt it.)
If the problems are gone after the test, then something in your connections is the issue and you need to get the stereo installed properly.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ozzieny » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 pm

well the first guy who did the stereo install didnt know what he was doing - we did disconnect the battery and he did a butcher job of installing the radio - a pioneer 4300 dvd radio. I used the right harness - got it from Cruthfield. When I got home the engine stalled and it was shaking. I went to toyota and they said the engine seemed fine and to drive the car for the drive cycle to complete. They said when you disconnect the battery it wipes the computer clean. They did a diagnostic test and found no codes but they also said that none of the monitors (fuel, heat, trans etc) were showing up. They said to drive the car and it should allow the ECM to 'relearn' the engine and the monitors will hopefully reset. I also went to a stereo audio shop and had the radio pulled and reinstalled and it works fine now - I was still worried because the car stalled on me a few times and the engine was still shaking a bit but has calmed down. Today I went to autozone and did a quick diagnostic and the monitiors of the ECM showed up and there were no problem codes. The car has not stalled over the last couple of days either. What really worried me was the engine shaking badly right after the radio install and it still shook after the reinstal. Over time it has steadily decreased. I cant get any real definitive answers from toyota about this. One dealer said the engine would experience problems if the ECM was wiped and another said it was unralated to the ECM. Anyways thank you so much for your time and response - look foward to hear your reply - thanks again Down2TheC - Oz
ozzieny
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ozzieny » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 am

yes I did disconnect the battery - also I did a reinstall of the radio and the engine was still shaking - took it to toyota and they said engine seemed fine and to drive it until drive cycle is complete and ECM should show the monitors which it previuosly wasnt. Then I took it to Autozone to check monitors and they were finally showing up. The harness is ok - got iy from Crutchfield . What worried me was that the car stalled a few times right after the initial radioinstall and the engine shaking as much as it did - over the last couple of days the engine is getting calmer and it hasnt stalled - wondering if this is all tied into the battery removal or other issues - toyota doesnt seem to be giving definitive answers. thanks for your help Down2 - Oz
ozzieny
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5