[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 07 Brake pads thickness
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

07 Brake pads thickness

07 Brake pads thickness

Postby RedrocketGEM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Do you guys have nay opinions on when the front brake pads should be changed. The stock Toyota pads do not have a slot in them. The Red ones I got have a slot at 3MM and my dealer says to replace them at 3MM. However the service manual says that the minimum thickness is 1MM. any info/ideas please.
THX
RedrocketGEM
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 07 Brake pads thickness

Postby Black Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 am

I don't know and can't readily find specs on minimum thickness but the wear indicators on the pad are there just for that reason--to let you know (hear) when the pads need to be changed. Depending on the pad manufacturer and composition you're gonna find differing suggested minimum thicknesses; you should only follow Toyota's service manual suggested minimum thickness if you're pads are, in fact, Toyota OEM. As such, you should follow the aftermarket manufacturers suggested minimum thickness for your red slotted ones. Unless experiencing brake fade or hearing the wear indicators scraping I'm highly suspect that the dealership is trying to get some extra dough outta ya. And I highly doubt they went to some database in the parts department and looked up the suggested minimum thickness for your current aftermarket pads. Just not to long ago I had an oil change "mechanic" :roll: tell me I needed new rear pads and rotors (they're less than a year old and I don't live my life 1/4-mile at a time when I drive) and that they weren't stopping equally to the front brakes during his test drive (test drive? for an oil change? :x ) I told him the last time I checked auto manufacturers haven't made rear brake pressure equal to the fronts because marketing found that potential buyers hated whiplash and possible death, dude obviously watched too much TV.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5