[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adding USB to 2005 SLE radio
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Adding USB to 2005 SLE radio

Adding USB to 2005 SLE radio

Postby ricksolara » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi, folks,

I apologize for the long question. Answering any part will help me.

I'd like to add USB input to the Navigation radio in my new 2005 Solara SLE convertible. Have any of you added an accessory to, or replaced, the navigation radio. They sell things that fit in the cigarette lighter and transmit to the radio, and I have one that works well, except every time the car is turned off, it starts again at the start of the current song. That works well for songs, but I usually record 50 minute talk radio shows and podcasts.

The Navigation radio looks just like the first picture here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-2006- ... 1950000145
and that implies that the back looks like the 3rd picture. Does it always look like the 3rd picture? I'd like to take out the radio and see what jacks are in use, but I hate to tear apart the car I just bought yesterday. Is there a jack for a CD changer? That's what the device I've been looking at wants. Mine will play one CD only.

If I can't add on USB, I've considered buying a newer radio and ebay has this one with USB, Bluetooth, MP3, and GPS (but no AM!) and the ebay ad say it is compatible with a 2005 Solara SLE convertible, yet the back looks entirely different. You can see the back in the fifth picture and there's an even bigger and legible picture farther down the page.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8G-Touch-Scre ... 1920980265
7'' Touch Screen HD 1080P In-dash Car GPS Navigation Bluetooth Stereo MP5 Player + 8G Memory Card Free North American Map

It says this fits 2005ToyotaSolaraSLE Convertible 3.3L V6 . That's the car I just bought and I would love to put this in my car, but

1) Is it really possible it has FM but no AM?

2) The jacks in the picture don't at all match the jacks from the first url. Looking at the jacks - In the fifth picture but it's even bigger and legible farther down the page. And still farther down, they are labeled, in Chinese!

It has six RCA jacks:

Left Out V-Out1 CamIn

Right Out V-Out2 Cyl-In What does the bottom right one says, Cyl-In???

CamIn is, I'm sure, for a rear-view camera, but why are there Left and Right and two Video outs? For a required/optional??? external amp? Tuner?

And there is a screw-on co-ax connector
QP8 or OP8 Can someone tell me what this says and what a a cable TV connector is for? Inputting movies??
No!!! Where they are labeled in Chinese, this is the only one in English. GPS. In fact OP8 probably really says GPS!! Although it takes a long time to see it. ;-) (So it requires an external GPS antenna. I have one already, right?)

and two 4+4 jacks. I presume these are power in, speakers out. Anything else?

It says "Fit for all years and trims of this vehicle", meaning LE, SLE, coupe and convertible, but how can that be? Didn't the jacks for the radio change during the life of Solara, so what do they mean by "Fit for all Years"?

This radio won't fit my car, no matter what it says, right? Very disappointing becuase this makes me doubt all of ebay's ability to know what fits and what doesn't.

Is there an adapter that would let me connect this radio to my car? I doubt it.

Long question, sorry, but any help would be much appreciated.
ricksolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Adding USB to 2005 SLE radio

Postby ricksolara » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 pm

This is the accessory that claims to fit my car that will allow USB and 3.5mm input to the radio, iiuc the CD-changer jack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-USB-Aux-in- ... 1421552323

Rick
ricksolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Adding USB to 2005 SLE radio

Postby ricksolara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am

It turns out that gizmo didn't work, and neither did the one that Crutchfield sells. Even though Crutchfield is reliable and said it would work, it's likely there was a change to the radio during the middle of the model year and it would probably work with some radios that year. I live in Baltimore and the device arrived the very next day, and they made returning very easy and returned my money very quickly.
ricksolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5