[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2004 Models
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

2004 Models

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:00 am

Can someone explain in a nutshell what the differences are between the Solara 2004 models? I test drove a SLE V6 with the cool navigation system and was very impressed with how comfortable the ride was. But I am a bit confused over what the major differences are between the models for this car.

Thanks in Advance.

:o
TheVeeHead

Re: 2004 Models

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:07 am

TheVeeHead wrote:Can someone explain in a nutshell what the differences are between the Solara 2004 models? I test drove a SLE V6 with the cool navigation system and was very impressed with how comfortable the ride was. But I am a bit confused over what the major differences are between the models for this car.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm no expert, and I strongly suggest you go to Toyota's website or get a brochure from a dealer, but it's my understanding the Solara comes in three versions: SE, SE Sport, and the SLE. All of these versions, I think, come in either a 4 or 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinders are manual or automatic.

The big differences between the SE Sport and the SLE, as I understand them, are sport features vs. luxury features. The SE Sport has a sportier looking interior and sport suspension, while the SLE has a more luxurious interior with a more luxury ride. The v6 engines are the same in between the SE Sport and the SLE. I liked the ride on the SE Sport a lot! But I liked the luxury offered by the SLE more. I figured it was easier to put SE Sport features on an SLE than put SLE features on a SE Sport.

Again, check the website Toyota.com. They do a good job of explaining what each model offers.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:37 am

Again, check the website Toyota.com. They do a good job of explaining what each model offers.

I have and find their site useless. All I can figure other than the side mirrors and the moonroof that is standard in the SLE is there is little difference. I do plan to call them and go to a dealer... I was just hoping I could know this before talking to them.

I am curious what optional packages people bought with their SLEs (which is what I am leaning towards since the moonroof is a must) and why.

I am very certain this is the car I will be buying. I have a Corolla now and I have always liked Toyotas. Time for a big step up for me.

TheVeeHead

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:19 am

Here's a copy of my sticker which lists the standard features. Since i live in Wisconsin, my choices for options were limited. It was basically get nav or not get nav. I opted for no nav, and I'm regretting it.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fotoda ... %26.view=t
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:59 am

cool pics. What does it mean 20% tint? And why do you regret not getting the navigation system?

TheVeeHead

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:01 pm

TheVeeHead wrote:cool pics. What does it mean 20% tint? And why do you regret not getting the navigation system?

The 20% tint as it was explained to me means the tint blocks 80% of the light, allowing only 20% to pass through the glass.

I regret not getting the navigation for a couple reasons:

#1: I thought I'd use the 6-disc changer more than the navigation. So far I've only listened to one CD! And soon I plan to get satellite radio, so I'll rarely listen to CDs.

#2: It looks so damn cool!

#3: Better for resale value. (Oops, that's three reasons)
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Shoe » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:14 pm

ok starting with the solara sle and lets work our way backwards

the sle has everything ( except side, front and back skirts. Aluminum pedals, and a manual transmition)

se sport has the side front and back skirts the aluminum pedals but it dosent have leather seats ( sport fabric dark cloth) or traction control, it also has a diverent instrument set up for the climate control ( knobs) not buttons that you test drove in the sle model, the se sport also has a different spedometer tackometer and fuel gauge they are white on black not black on white and they light up in blue didgets at night. oh and the suspension is tighter

the base model comes in a 4 and a 6 cylinder you can get manual in the base model you get fabric seats not the same as the sport model you may not get a spoiler unless you put it on as an option

i think that should cover the basics

shoe

hope that helps
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:20 pm

the sle has everything ( except side, front and back skirts. Aluminum pedals, and a manual transmition)

I hate to be a pain... but what are skirts and aluminum pedals?

I have been reading through this site as well as others on this car, and I am pretty convinced this is what I want. I just want to make sure I understand all the options and differences in these models. I am still leaning, based on replies to this thread and what I have read today towards the SLE and now it is understanding what the options are. Then I will tackle the cost.

Thanks so much.
TheVeeHead

Postby got sport » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:11 pm

I found Toyota's site very useful and helpful; can't get more information anywhere else on the Solaras then directly from the manufacturer.

The skirts are pretty much the "body kit". If you compare the SE Sport with the other two, you'll notice that the Sport has another piece of body frame below the front grill (where the fog lights are), and below the doors on each side. The aluminum pedals refer to the gas and brake pedals that are made out of aluminum to give that "sporty" look.

Use the specifications link for the Solara on Toyota's site, and you'll see all the differences. Whichever model you choose, you can't go wrong. It's just a matter of what you plan to do with the car, and your personal tastes. If you plan to add mods, then you can go with the Sport and save a few thousand and use it for the mods. Or if money is not a factor and you like the wood look, then go for the SLE.
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby got sport » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:15 pm

fotodad wrote:The 20% tint as it was explained to me means the tint blocks 80% of the light, allowing only 20% to pass through the glass.

Yes, that specific percentage refers to the visibility. If you have a good brand name tint film, it should block out 99% of the UV rays.
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:06 pm

I am very close to buying the Solara... today I test drove the V4 SLE, but I still am leaning towards the V6. The point I am at now is with haggling over prices which is never fun. I got a quote for what the dealer claimed was $500 over invoice, but I seriously doubt that is true. I did some research with Kelley Blue Book and they have different invoice prices (much lower). Arrgh!

TheVeeHead

Postby LunarMistGray » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:25 pm

I am very close to buying the Solara... today I test drove the V4 SLE, but I still am leaning towards the V6. The point I am at now is with haggling over prices which is never fun. I got a quote for what the dealer claimed was $500 over invoice, but I seriously doubt that is true. I did some research with Kelley Blue Book and they have different invoice prices (much lower). Arrgh!

Go to edmunds.com and price the vehicle you want. Start your negotiations with the dealer starting with the invoice. Also, realize that because this is a new car the dealer may not be willing to drop too much.

Also, don't get the V4; the V6 will put a smile on your face when you hear the exhaust and feel the acceleration.
LunarMistGray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

2004 Models

Postby TheVeeHead » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:58 am

Also, don't get the V4

I am settled on the V6. One thing I realized I did not do was try to get to the back seat. Any idea how complicated it is?

TheVeeHead

diffs

Postby rgache » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:06 pm

Here are a couple of differences that you might not see in writting:

1. The se-sport suspension is a great deal stiffer than the others, which are already the sport version of the camery.

2. I pretty sure that the 5sp manual trans. is only available in the se-sport, if you want the ground effects option. This might be a potential problem due to no. 1 above.
Russell
rgache
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5