[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need Advice--SE-Sport Suspension Too Stiff on Highway!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Need Advice--SE-Sport Suspension Too Stiff on Highway!

Need Advice--SE-Sport Suspension Too Stiff on Highway!

Postby rgache » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:24 pm

Ok, here is the deal--I love the car, but hate the tight suspension on the road for long trips. We have a lot of concrete slabs here in Alabama and the pitching from front to back it unbearable at hwy speeds of 70-80. Dips on the road are also a killer. City driving is just fine.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to relax the suspension some (e.g. sustituting LE model shocks for current shocks, or other camery parts, let me know. I have also heard that these suspensions "relax" some after 1-2k miles. Any comments would be appreciated.

Here is a description of my car: SE-Sport, lunar mist, 4cly, 5sp manual, SSR-GT1 7.5inch wheels with Michilen Pilot HXMX tires (i.e. its a +1 mod). Diameter is identicle to stock diameter (yes!--see my review with pics this forum).
Russell
rgache
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Need Advice--SE-Sport Suspension Too Stiff on Highway!

Postby fotodad » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:40 pm

rgache wrote:Ok, here is the deal--I love the car, but hate the tight suspension on the road for long trips. We have a lot of concrete slabs here in Alabama and the pitching from front to back it unbearable at hwy speeds of 70-80. Dips on the road are also a killer. City driving is just fine.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to relax the suspension some (e.g. sustituting LE model shocks for current shocks, or other camery parts, let me know. I have also heard that these suspensions "relax" some after 1-2k miles. Any comments would be appreciated.

Here is a description of my car: SE-Sport, lunar mist, 4cly, 5sp manual, SSR-GT1 7.5inch wheels with Michilen Pilot HXMX tires (i.e. its a +1 mod). Diameter is identicle to stock diameter (yes!--see my review with pics this forum).

rgache,

I have just the opposite problem. I own an SLE which has a much softer ride than I like. I'd like to get a firmer, tighter ride like your SE Sport has now! Any chance we could swap suspensions (springs and shocks)?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby got sport » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:59 pm

TRD should be coming out with a suspsension kit for the '04 in the nar future.
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby rgache » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:23 am

fotodad wrote:
rgache wrote:Ok, here is the deal--I love the car, but hate the tight suspension on the road for long trips. We have a lot of concrete slabs here in Alabama and the pitching from front to back it unbearable at hwy speeds of 70-80. Dips on the road are also a killer. City driving is just fine.

rgache,

I have just the opposite problem. I own an SLE which has a much softer ride than I like. I'd like to get a firmer, tighter ride like your SE Sport has now! Any chance we could swap suspensions (springs and shocks)?

Do you know if these are swappable? The SE-Sport has a lot of extra control arms on it. Do you have a way to confirm this? I tell ya, if your car was close enough, I might have us both drive to a dealer and do a swap, assuming we can confirm proper fit and functionality.
Russell
rgache
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:52 am

Do you know if these are swappable? The SE-Sport has a lot of extra control arms on it. Do you have a way to confirm this? I tell ya, if your car was close enough, I might have us both drive to a dealer and do a swap, assuming we can confirm proper fit and functionality.

Providing they are swappable, wouldn't that work out just perfectly: meeting at a dealer and swapping? I know less about cars than I do about boiling water. So I have no way of knowing whether the two suspensions are interchangeable. Hopefully someone on the forum knows. If you do eventually change your suspension, let me know. I may be interested in buying your extra factory suspension parts.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:03 pm

I've signed up to be the Tein Springs R&D candidate for the 2004 Solara. The measurements will take place in November, but they told me that it will take about 2-3 months to research and develop. I'm hoping that I will be able to find some compatible shocks/struts/dampers by the time I test the springs. I'm really hoping that Tein will consider R&D a coil-over kit for the '04 Solara.

In short, if all goes well Tein should have aftermarket suspension for the '04 Solara early of next year. Maybe by that time TRD will have come out with one as well.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:11 pm

I've signed up to be the Tein Springs R&D candidate for the 2004 Solara. The measurements will take place in November, but they told me that it will take about 2-3 months to research and develop. I'm hoping that I will be able to find some compatible shocks/struts/dampers by the time I test the springs. I'm really hoping that Tein will consider R&D a coil-over kit for the '04 Solara.

Postby got sport » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:34 pm

Moderator: That was me, please delete the double post, I forgot to sign in. Brain too tired.
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby got sport » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:41 pm

toyotaparts4u has a TRD suspension springs for the '04 already??? This can't be right? I went to their site, and they list springs for the '04.
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5