[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - A Screw Just Cost Me $200.00!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

A Screw Just Cost Me $200.00!

Postby slingshot » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:01 pm

Fotodad,
You have to be careful putting different size tires because the VDC electronics can get messed up sometimes. THis is what I read on other car forums. Your best bet is to talk directly to a tire expert at Tirerack. You probably can get away with slightly wider tires but best to make sure with a real expert. Their job is to advise you on what tires you can put on a particular car and they can even tell you what tires fit on your wheel size.
Dave
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:11 pm

slingshot wrote:Fotodad,
You have to be careful putting different size tires because the VDC electronics can get messed up sometimes. THis is what I read on other car forums. Your best bet is to talk directly to a tire expert at Tirerack. You probably can get away with slightly wider tires but best to make sure with a real expert. Their job is to advise you on what tires you can put on a particular car and they can even tell you what tires fit on your wheel size.
Dave

Good point! Looks like Tirerack gets a phone call tomorrow!

What would you guys/gals do given the situation I'm in? The way I see it, these are my choices .

a. Take my chances and stick with the repaired/patched tire until I notice air loss.
b. Just get a new Bridgestone factory replacement.
c. Get rid of the factory Bridgestones which aren't that good to begin with and dump the big money for a much better tire: Michelin Pilot A/S.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby HKSV6SLE » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:53 pm

the stock tires on our cars are only "H" rated...i've had Yokohama Avid V4's which were "V" rated they also make the same tire but with an "h: tire rating..which should get better mileage but the performance probably isnt as good...i also had the DUnlop Sp sport 9000's i think...those are ok..i was gonna get the KUmho ecsta's though..but those are "Z" rated or maybe "w" rated..in any case the stock RE92's suck..and they cost a lot, i think last time i checked like 140 a tire. but yea in my solara's lifetime..i've gone through...8 tires besides the stock ones....oh yeah i also yokohama YK420's...which are the same as the Avid's.....
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:42 am

The STock RE92's on GEN1 Solara's aren't expensive. I had them replaced for under $90 each. Hopefully the Turanza EL42's are better on the GEN2 but I'll bet they are H rated too. Just don't drive over 120 mph.

HKSV6SLE wrote:the stock tires on our cars are only "H" rated...i've had Yokohama Avid V4's which were "V" rated they also make the same tire but with an "h: tire rating..which should get better mileage but the performance probably isnt as good...i also had the DUnlop Sp sport 9000's i think...those are ok..i was gonna get the KUmho ecsta's though..but those are "Z" rated or maybe "w" rated..in any case the stock RE92's suck..and they cost a lot, i think last time i checked like 140 a tire. but yea in my solara's lifetime..i've gone through...8 tires besides the stock ones....oh yeah i also yokohama YK420's...which are the same as the Avid's.....
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:01 am

Interesting!

I'm going to have to look directly at my tires because the guy at the tire shop told me the tire that needed patching was a "V" rated tire!

Oh, by the way, went to drive to work today and the "!" indicator light came on which means a brake problem. Terrific! I wonder what the tire boys screwed up?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JadedEMOlush » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:33 am

I am pretty sure the (!) symbol is the tire pressure warning sensor. Maybe the new patch is leaking, or maybe after the tire was patched you did not reset the tire pressure warning button located near the traction control button.
JadedEMOlush
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:27 am

Jaded, that sounds right and all he probably has to do is reset that button. As far as tires being V rated, I doubt they'd have those OEM on a Solara. My last Solara had only H rated tires. I think only the sporty cars over $30K get V rated or above tires. Isn't it funny though that our speedometers go to 160?

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:02 am

You guys were right regarding the resetting of the tire pressure button. Just went out and did it. Light is gone! Thanks!

Regarding the "V" rating, I'm only going by what the guy who repaired my tire said. If I decide to get a new set but never plan to go over 100 mph, is there any other advantage to getting a "V" rated tire over an "H" rated tire or would it simply be a waste of money?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:29 am

I just went out and looked at the rating of my stock Bridgstone 215/55-17 Turanza tires: "V"
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:34 pm

WHere on the tire do you see V? I don't see it anywhere. All it says is 215/55/R17. That could mean any speed. BTW H rating is up to 130mph. I've never understood the need for any higher speed rating.

fotodad wrote:I just went out and looked at the rating of my stock Bridgstone 215/55-17 Turanza tires: "V"
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:22 pm

According to the Tirerack guys the tire rating is preceeded by the number "93," (whatever that means). Here's picture of my tire. I found this just after the 215/55-17 number.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fotoda ... lara+tires
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:30 am

Update on the patched tire:

It's been about five days since I had the punctured tire patched. Remember, the guy who fixed the tire said he wouldn't warranty the repair from leaking air because the puncture is between the side wall and the flat part of the tire.

Anyways, the tire has shown no signs of leaking any air. Do you think the tire will be fine for the life of the tire or will it eventually start leaking?

I don't have a problem spending the money to get a new tire, but I have also have no problem saving $200.00, too.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby HKSV6SLE » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:18 pm

tha main difference between the tire ratings is the "speed" meaning some tires have a higher speed rating ( the higher the speed the tire can go safely). Usually the lower the speed rating the more compliant and smoother the tire is...and on the other hand the higher the speed rating the rougher the tire is...but on the other hand...higher speed rated tires perform better..meaning better handling, braking, etc,...though this all varies with brands and technologies. All tire companies claim theirs is better, i think it's subjective. Tires with higher speed ratings tend to have shorter tread life and since they usually cost more to make they cost more in general. So, i guess you could look at it this way, what is more important to you..? Performance or ride quality/treadlife. but, then again i ran my Yokohama avid V4's 20K past the treadlife and they were fine..though not the best idea.
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby cdssolara » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:56 pm

fotodad,

If you're considering Pilot Sport A/S tires, I would highly recommend them. I have had a set for about a year and a half, and I wouldn't have anything else. The only problem is that they are a little expensive. They make a little more noise than the touring type tires that come stock, and they aren't quite as smooth riding. This is what you'd expect of a performance tire, though. They give great handling in dry weather, and are almost as good in wet weather. I haven't used them in snow yet, but they were designed for that duty, too.

As for size, if they don't come in the 215/55/17 OE size, you could go to 225/50/17. I don't know how wide the stock rims are on the 04, but if they are more than 6" wide, you shouldn't have an issue with bulging tires. Also, the overall diameter of the wheel and tire is only slightly different than the stock size, so you won't have problems with ABS or any other sensor systems.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5