[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Anyone else seeing this NAV accuracy problem?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Anyone else seeing this NAV accuracy problem?

Anyone else seeing this NAV accuracy problem?

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:25 pm

My built-in NAV seems to very accurately pilot me around streets but its accuracy is off with street addresses. It is always a little off and when you hit the NAV/voice button to see current address, it doesn't match the house number I'm in front of ever(the GPS signal is fine always). Also, a guided route ends when you are still some distance away from the real address you programmed in instead of right at it. Example: House number is 244, NAV shows 272 when sitting in front of that house.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any idea how to recalibrate? I heard the Acura NAV is dead on accurate with addresses and their locations. Why would the Toyota/Lexus one be any worse? If I don't figure this out, I'll ask the dealership.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby TW85 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:54 pm

On our boat, there is sometimes a green circle surrounding a black point that represents the boat and its current position. The green circle indicates the current accuracy of the signal and sometimes it is off enough to show the boat several hundred feet on land when we're actually in the center of a channel. Sometimes the GPS is so accurate that I could mark a spot and return exactly to the spot I marked. Other times the accuracy is so poor that I have to search a 500'x500' area to return to the mark. Also, just because the satellite signal is strong does not mean the signal is accurate.

Several times I have also noticed that the accuracy of the GPS was to 13 feet but the map showed the boat being in a marsh when we were in a channel. This is a map chip error and it could be the same thing you're experiencing.

Are you able to view the current accuracy of your system? I would think there is a menu that would display it around 10' or to as great as 1,000'. If there is such a page, watch it throughout the day. I'm betting the problem is the DVD.

Is that confusing? :o
TW85
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:02 am

My car is on the maps exactly where it should be but the addresses read wrong. When it tells me to make a turn, the turn is always right there. So it looks like it is very accurate until you call up the address of where you are. Also when you put in a destination by an address, the route guidance ends without bringing you to the door of the place you are going to probably because the numbers are off. It's decently close but strange. I don't see any place on the menus or screen where you can see what the accuracy of the GPS or maps are. The only place to calibrate it is just adjusting the direction the car is pointing.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:21 am

I don't know about the toyota one's.....but my friend was having a similar problem on his nav. system (on his dodge avenger)...all he did was buy the right connectors and plugged his unit to his PC and downloaded stuff...and now its accurate...
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:32 pm

As long as your NAV gets the streets accurate you're fine. Its unrealistic to expect the NAV to get houses right. Mine, my dads and my moms all screw up the house numbers
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:04 pm

Actually my NAV is a tiny bit off with position of my car on the street. When I'm at an intersection, the icon is just a little bit away. But the voice instructions are right on streetwise and at intersections so that is what really matters. Each time I'm guided extremely accurately on the trip but end up a little away from the final destination at the end. I'll be doing a big road test next week going from NY to Boston.

Which car GPS systems or portable models does your family have? Thanks for confirming you are getting the same thing I am with addresses. This whole thing started because my friend said his dad driving an Acura MDX stopped by his house and showed that his NAV had his house address shown correctly which was very impressive.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:18 pm

slingshot wrote:Which car GPS systems or portable models does your family have?

Its actually from a bmer that got totalled and he pulled out and retrofitted to his avenger. Next time i see him, i'll ask?
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

OEM DVD NAV

Postby mppeice » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:41 pm

Does Anyone have a clue about the manufacturer of the DVD Nav system?? I have been playing with GPS and PCs for long time and find the data on the Toyota DVD to be much more current than that offered by the software guys of the world. It would be cool to try it in one of my laptops.
mppeice

Postby Hammerli » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:55 pm

Sounds to me like Toyota chose not to use the WAAS. I am somewhat glad it wasn't offered on the SE Sport, since I am trying to decide between the Roadmate 700 and 500, that I can use in all our cars and on my motorcycle.

I believe the Honda system uses WAAS. The unit in the Accord I test drove was dead on. Just another disappointment I'll add to the list during my first week of ownership.
2000 Celica GT-S 6 speed
2004 Solara SE Sport V6
Black Pearl Emblems
Blizzak WS-50 215/55/17
Hammerli
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:44 am

Hammerli wrote:Sounds to me like Toyota chose not to use the WAAS. I am somewhat glad it wasn't offered on the SE Sport, since I am trying to decide between the Roadmate 700 and 500, that I can use in all our cars and on my motorcycle.

I believe the Honda system uses WAAS. The unit in the Accord I test drove was dead on. Just another disappointment I'll add to the list during my first week of ownership.

What is WAAS?
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:32 am

On my Lexus' nav it's off. Non-military GPS will always be off to some extent otherwise technology can be used in bad ways.

I live at a 22 it shows 35.

Postby Hammerli » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:51 pm

slingshot wrote:
Hammerli wrote:Sounds to me like Toyota chose not to use the WAAS. I am somewhat glad it wasn't offered on the SE Sport, since I am trying to decide between the Roadmate 700 and 500, that I can use in all our cars and on my motorcycle.

What is WAAS?

This is a good basic description:

http://www.speeka.com/g_garmin-waas.asp

From what I have been able to determine doing some research, there seems to be some merit to the system, and it does seem to improve accuracy based on posted reviews online. I am planning on buying the Roadmate 700 in the next couple of weeks, since I am waiting for it to go on sale. I will then have some quantitative results after I try it out (uses WAAS.)
2000 Celica GT-S 6 speed
2004 Solara SE Sport V6
Black Pearl Emblems
Blizzak WS-50 215/55/17
Hammerli
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:36 pm

The problem is not improving GPS accuracy, but in improving the maps. My car is in the exact position on roads it is supposed to be on which can only be if the GPS accuracy is good. The problem is that the stated addresses don't match up with reality and that has to be in the maps, right? It seems some streets are even set up with low number addresses starting on the wrong end of the street.

I just used the NAV in Manhattan tonight and it was fantastic, even showing direction arrows of one way streets and identifying some important buildings. The addresses in Manhattan were right on, which I think proves that only some areas of the maps are detailed enough to have accurate addresses.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5