[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Accuracy of low gas icon and miles to go display
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Accuracy of low gas icon and miles to go display

Accuracy of low gas icon and miles to go display

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:45 pm

When I bought my car, the gas tank was full and the estimated distance to empty read 285 miles. My gas gauge was real close to E when the low gas icon finally came on. The estimated distance to empty was about 15 miles and I had driven about 310 miles of which about half were highway and half city.

When I filled the tank, it only took 14.7 gallons to fill. That meant almost 4 gallons were left when the low gas icon appeared and the gas gauge was close to E. The estimated miles left on the tank must have meant only when driving till the gas gauge reads E. Obviously then, the gas gauge must dip below E while using up the 4 gallons left.

When my car was full again, the estimated distance to empty again read 285 miles. Is this a fixed value and is anyone else getting same numbers every time like me? Maybe it takes worst case of 20 mpg and then adjusts if you get better mileage.

Anyone else see similar gas accuracy strangeness?
Dave
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MGLax13 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:18 pm

Well it is an estimated value, so they probably take the average MPG value and multiply that by the size of the tank.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby fotodad » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:49 am

I've gotten the "estimated to empty" reading down to eight miles. When I filled up my car took about 15 gallons. So I think you are right about there being more gas in the tank than what the indicator shows.

I've also noticed when filling up that I can put an additional gallon to two gallons of gas in the tank after it automatically shuts off at the pump.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5