[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Are you happy with the sequential shift feature?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Are you happy with the sequential shift feature?

Are you happy with the sequential shift feature?

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:16 pm

Hey everyone! I'm debating if I want a 2004 Camry SE or a Solara SE V6 for my next car. I like the camry because it has the convenience of 4 doors, but the thing that attracts me MOST to the solara is the sequential shift feature. I live in atlanta and a manual is too much labor for everyday driving, but I do like to be able to upshift and downshift. The two things I don't like about the solara are how it looks a little weird from some angles and the fact that the side windows are frameless. The sound/thud when shutting the doors isn't as satisfying as that of the Camry, and no framing can lead to more intrusive wear over time as far as leaks and cracks go.

So...how happy are the V6 owners with the sequential shift feature? Is it responsive or delayed like many others? How often do you use it?

thanks

-Michael

Postby LunarMistGray » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:03 pm

I'm not used to it. How it works is whatever gear # you see displayed is what the engine will automatically shift to(i.e. if 4 is on the display then the engine will use 1-4 gears). I'm used to the Celica's sportshift; whatever gear you see displayed is the gear that the engine is in. To tell you the truth the car shifts and downshifts so seamless that you will not need to use the sequential feature. The only thing I had to get used to is the "drive-by-wire."
LunarMistGray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Kini » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:25 pm

I think it's a nice feature, although I don't use it that much. The 5sp auto generally works pretty well all on it's own. The times I use it are when going down hill and don't want to ride the breaks and when in traffic and I think that I may need to make a quick lane change, I can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and get a quick response. IMO the shifts are as quick or quicker than my friends 350Z, although they seem to very alot depending on how hard and fast you hit the throttle, the computer controls everything. Also it worksd a little different than I 1st thought. You can put the car in "manual" mode and leave it say in 3rd and drive it like a normal auto, only difference is it won't upshift past 3rd or whatever gear you leave it in. You can leave it in 5th and it will work just like it does in the full auto mode, it down shifts and up shifts the same.

Again as far as the shifting goes I got on it a little when making a left turn, hit 2nd at about 4500 rpms pretty heavy on the throttle, and it chirped the tires hitting 2nd. And sometimes it shifts so slow I think that something is wrong with the tranny. Computers, gotta love em.

As far as looks go, I didn't want a 4 door camary, in my area only old people drive camaries, the 2 dr is sporty looking, still has alot of room, rides and handles nicely, and is very quiet.

Bottom line I don't use mine that much, but it is nice to have. If I had been looking at, say the Accord Coupe with the V6 and auto, all things being equal I would get the Solara becuase I think it's a nice feature to have and adds a little to the car. Just my 2 cents.

Gene
"It may sound like a disaster, but can't this thing go faster?"
Kini
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:26 pm

Never used it. Don't plan to use it!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TW85 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:13 pm

To the original poster, what dealer do you plan on buying from? Try Sandy Springs Toyota. Just picked up my 2004 Solara from them yesterday.
TW85
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:13 pm

I work at Toyota of Roswell though. :lol:

Postby hari-bhari » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:35 pm

That's right near my house, I live in alpharetta. Finally someone from my area!!
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby pantyninja » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:59 am

I like the shiftronic. I find it is sluggish at part throttle shifts. For best results keep your foot in it when you shift. It reduces gas mileage maybe by 1mpg if you are hammering on it. I think it is nifty but 85% of the time I leave it in automatic.
Rejoice O Young Man in thy Youth

04 SE-V6 sport
Absolutely Red
pantyninja
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

its nice

Postby himynam3isjas0n » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:27 am

well, it depends on the driver actually. i mean the solara is nice and luxury and all, so is the camry, but if you have a family get the camry in my opinion, it has some nice kits out for it.
gen 2, v6 se solara.
himynam3isjas0n
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sgoat » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:44 pm

Just to set the record straight, My soon to be 81 yr. old mother just bought herself a new 04', Desert Sand Mica/Ivory, Solara. Not all old people drive Camrys!
sgoat

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5