[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Call Toyota Regarding drifting/pulling left!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Call Toyota Regarding drifting/pulling left!

Call Toyota Regarding drifting/pulling left!

Postby fotodad » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:22 pm

I know this issue has been discussed on various threads, but I feel it's important a specific thread dedicated to this problem be started. I have had my car in twice to get this drifting/pulling problem fixed. It still drifts slightly to the left. Since my dealership is having difficulties fixing this, I thought I'd call Toyota direct to see if they were aware of any possible solutions to fix the problem. They were completely unaware (so they said) of this problem. They said no TSB had been issued and it is not listed as a "common condition." From the many posts I've read regarding this, I would definitely call it a "common condition." If we want some action on this problem we need to get Corporate Toyota involved.

Therefore, I suggest those who have this problem call Toyota's customer service number, explain the drifting/pulling problem you are having, and GET A CASE NUMBER. The more folks we get to call, the more likely we are to get some action.

Toyota Service number: 1-800-331-4331

Thanks! Any other thoughts?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DavPak » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:31 pm

don't worry, a TSB is on the way.
one of my customers had this same condition last week. we called toyota tech line (our techinical support) and they instructed us to balance all tires, roadtest, switch the front tires, roadtest, rotate the tires, roadtest, then as a last resort to adjust the camber of the front/left wheel to -1.00. i drove the car after the last adjustment and it was fine, no pulling at all. the tech line tech indicated that they know about this problem and a TSB is on the way.
'02 Solara S/C'ed V6 5-spd
DavPak
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby bigpow » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:43 pm

DavPak wrote:don't worry, a TSB is on the way.
one of my customers had this same condition last week. we called toyota tech line (our techinical support) and they instructed us to balance all tires, roadtest, switch the front tires, roadtest, rotate the tires, roadtest, then as a last resort to adjust the camber of the front/left wheel to -1.00. i drove the car after the last adjustment and it was fine, no pulling at all. the tech line tech indicated that they know about this problem and a TSB is on the way.

Do you work at a dealer? :o

fotodad, I'm calling them now.
I'll get a case for my car's left drift and rattle-o-plenty
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:49 pm

I had been driving on local roads mostly for a couple weeks and had noticed no left drift. The first time I noticed it was on my long drive last weekend on interstate highways. While in the left lane if I let go of the wheel, it pulled to the left quite a bit. Middle lane was very slight left pull and right lane was straight ahead or very slightly right. So either the interstate highway is pitched overall left leaning or I have the drift problem. Either way, there is very little pressure needed to keep it straight unlike other left drifters I've had in the past.

I'm concerned if I bring it in and they road test it, they won't see it because I didn't see it on local roads at all just the interstate. Even on a local highway unless I let go of the wheel I would never know it drifts because just holding the wheel is enough to stop drift. Is anyone seeing a condition like this?
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

same

Postby bigpow » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:57 pm

a drift is a drift

Welcome to the club!
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby fotodad » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:05 pm

slingshot wrote:I'm concerned if I bring it in and they road test it, they won't see it because I didn't see it on local roads at all just the interstate. Even on a local highway unless I let go of the wheel I would never know it drifts because just holding the wheel is enough to stop drift. Is anyone seeing a condition like this?

If the interstate is near your dealership, you should take the service guy for a ride and show him the problem. I agree, 95% of the time the drift is barely noticable. But it's that 5% of the time where I can see I'm turning the steering wheel about five degrees to the right to compensate for the drift that I get a tad frustrated. Since many of us are experiencing this problem to some degree, I think this is a flaw Toyota should be aware of and repair to the owner's satisfaction. I'm pleased to read in an earlier post that a TSB will be coming out soon. I have another appointment with my dealer this coming Wednesday. It would be nice if a TSB was out by then.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:20 pm

The Interstate I saw it on is nowhere near any dealers near me. I will drive more on the closest highway to the dealer to see if I can reproduce it there first. It seems I only had to move the wheel a couple degrees to stop drift in the left lane last weekend. Very little touch needed and I wouldn't have even seen it if I didn't let the wheel go when driving to test. I have to do more highway driving to test this.
Dave
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

lucky u

Postby bigpow » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:40 pm

lucky you who only have 5deg drift
Mine is more like 15deg! have to put at 1 o'clock to make it straight
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: lucky u

Postby fotodad » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:54 pm

bigpow wrote:lucky you who only have 5deg drift
Mine is more like 15deg! have to put at 1 o'clock to make it straight

WOW! That's dangerous. Have you taken it in, yet?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:00 pm

That's some serious stuff! You'll be wearing out your tires unevenly real quick. I'd take it in ASAP. My drift is tiny compared to that and probably close to what you might get hitting a pothole or something.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

now you know

Postby bigpow » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:41 am

now you know why I'm bitching about it constantly...
Yeah, the dealer would take a look at it again next week (their earliest schedule)

I really need to talk to Toyota Motor Kentucky Plan Manager now. :(

I'll give him a piece of my mind

BTW, I just found out that my front bumper is not aligned properly. One side is higher than the other. Also the chrome trim on the hood, that doesn't align well too!

Man! Enough already with this car!

Any idea how to pull the lemon law suit?
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby slingshot » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:11 am

I'm surprised that when you drove your new car away for the first time that you didn't see the huge left drift and turn around to give it back to fix. You didn't notice the misaligned bumper, etc right away either? I've written to the Kentucky plant asking how they paint the car and how many layers of paint they use. I've gotten answers back from them. A past post here gave the website where it showed pictures of the plant and a way to write them. Best of luck and next time do a very complete check of your vehicle before you accept it.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

nice

Postby bigpow » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:51 pm

Slingshot,

The car wasn't pulling to the left this hard.
It became worst after the 3rd dealer visit.
The price I have to pay for making them fix what they can't fix

All the paint imperfections and misalignments, I saw them after my 1st car wash. They are too subtle to notice right away.

I'm also due for my eye exam :drinking:
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby LunarMistGray » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:18 pm

I took my car in for the 1000 mile oil change. When I was there I decided to mention about the slight drift to the left; mine is not as prevalent as others, but I do notice it. The slight drift has nothing to do with the tires or alignment. My dealer was good. It didn't taking any convincing; matter of fact I think the dealer already knew. This is what they wrote on the ticket: "struts, top mount supports and space plates out of spec; ordered parts, on national back order about 3 week delay." Also, there is no TSB, but I'm assuming one will be forthcoming. So to the other posters; if your dealer is giving you a hard time, then they are being DISHONEST.

The parts they ordered were:
48510-A9350 Absorber Set, Shoc
48520-A9210 Absorber Assy, Sh
48471-06030 Seat, Fr Spring
48609-06090 Support S/A Fr S
LunarMistGray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

couldn't find it

Postby bigpow » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:23 pm

slingshot wrote:.
A past post here gave the website where it showed pictures of the plant and a way to write them. ...

Did a search, could not find what you mention.
Care to give hints to this poor blind sighted unlucky idiot fellow?
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5