[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Postby fotodad » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:52 pm

I finally got the Michelin Pilot A/S installed on my 04 Solara. But i have a concern. I spoke to the tire dealer about it and I spoke to my Toyota dealership about it and both told me not to worry. But I want to go the extra mile and see what you folks think.

After I picked up the car and drove it home, I had a chance to look more closely at the tires. This is when I noticed there is very little room between the tire and shock assembly on the back tires. See this link for a picture.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fotodad1958/lst?.dir=/Michelin+Pilot

Since the "so-called" experts say I shouldn't worry, should I still? The factory tires are 215/55-17. The Michelins that I had installed are 225/55-17. I checked some tire-sizing websites and all basically showed that the two tires are almost identical in size. I wish I remembered how close the factory tires came to this assembly. I will be rating the Michelins on a different thread. Please give me your thoughts: "Don't worry about it." Or, "Don't drive that car until you get a smaller tire on that car!!"

Thanks!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:00 pm

Go through some bumpy, pot-holed roads and see how it handles. That's the true test of whether you don't have to worry about it I guess.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:07 pm

slingshot wrote:Go through some bumpy, pot-holed roads and see how it handles. That's the true test of whether you don't have to worry about it I guess.

Slingshot,

I have gone over some bumpy roads and not noticed any unusual sounds or abnormal car movements. I also had my wife jump on the trunk (with the trunk door open) while I watched the area in question, and it never got closer or hit the tire. So I guess I'm good to go??!!

With that distance being so close it's tough top have peace of mind.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:20 pm

by going from that size to the next, you should have nothing to worry about.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:55 pm

I have gone over some bumpy roads and not noticed any unusual sounds or abnormal car movements. I also had my wife jump on the trunk (with the trunk door open) while I watched the area in question, and it never got closer or hit the tire. So I guess I'm good to go??!![/quote]

Jumping on the trunk in a new car? Wow, that's some extensive tests. Sure sounds like you are good to go for sure. Let us know how the new tires compare to the originals in road noise at highway speeds, drivability in the rain, and handling.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:08 pm

You have nothing to worry about. You will not rub with that tire size
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. It's always nice to get the opinion of people who I can trust to be honest, unbiased, and not have a hidden agenda.

I'll definitely provide a review of the tires once I've put some miles on them.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cdssolara » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:22 pm

I agree with Yanks. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Since you didn't change the wheel, you didn't move it closer to the strut. Therefore, the tire is only closer to the strut by half the difference between the old and new tire widths. In your case, that's only 5 mm, which is almost nothing. I know that 225's don't cause any problems on Gen 1 Solaras, as I use that width. Relax, and enjoy your new tires!
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby impactX » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:31 pm

That's the strut assembly and tire will NEVER touch it if it's not touching now.

Also, when the tires start to show some wear, there will be a bigger space.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Shoe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:10 pm

forget pictures of the tire i wanna see pictures of your wife jumping in / on the trunk

im just picturing your neighbours saying to them selfs what is he up to now?

shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby fotodad » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:54 pm

Shoe wrote:forget pictures of the tire i wanna see pictures of your wife jumping in / on the trunk

im just picturing your neighbours saying to them selfs what is he up to now?

shoe

:D My stomach still hurts from laughing!! :D

The only problem is that's the only "jumping" she's been doin' lately...if ya get my drift!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:17 pm

[quote="fotodad The only problem is that's the only "jumping" she's been doin' lately...if ya get my drift![/quote]

Maybe that's because your new love is your car! Pay attention to her more and she'll be jumping again. ;-)
Just kidding....
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:17 pm

[quote="fotodad The only problem is that's the only "jumping" she's been doin' lately...if ya get my drift![/quote]

Maybe that's because your new love is your car! Pay attention to her more and she'll be jumping again. ;-)
Just kidding....
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:26 pm

fotodad wrote:I finally got the Michelin Pilot A/S installed on my 04 Solara. But i have a concern. I spoke to the tire dealer about it and I spoke to my Toyota dealership about it and both told me not to worry. But I want to go the extra mile and see what you folks think.

After I picked up the car and drove it home, I had a chance to look more closely at the tires. This is when I noticed there is very little room between the tire and shock assembly on the back tires. See this link for a picture.

Since the "so-called" experts say I shouldn't worry, should I still? The factory tires are 215/55-17. The Michelins that I had installed are 225/55-17. I checked some tire-sizing websites and all basically showed that the two tires are almost identical in size. I wish I remembered how close the factory tires came to this assembly. I will be rating the Michelins on a different thread. Please give me your thoughts: "Don't worry about it." Or, "Don't drive that car until you get a smaller tire on that car!!"

Thanks!

I tried to have that same tire mounted today at Tire Rack on my SE Sport, and they do not fit. They rub heavily on spring seat. The only explanation is that the SE Sport suspension is slightly different, but don't get these tires if you have an SE Sport.

Re: Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Postby Hammerli » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:26 pm

fotodad wrote:I finally got the Michelin Pilot A/S installed on my 04 Solara. But i have a concern. I spoke to the tire dealer about it and I spoke to my Toyota dealership about it and both told me not to worry. But I want to go the extra mile and see what you folks think.

Thanks!

Are you sure the size is not 225/50/17? That size is virtually identical to stock, while the size you say you have, 225/55/17 is nearly a full inch larger diameter, which would explain why a 225/55 rubbed on my car. I really hope you have the 225/50, since I think those are one of the best choices for a summer tire on some IS300 rims.
2000 Celica GT-S 6 speed
2004 Solara SE Sport V6
Black Pearl Emblems
Blizzak WS-50 215/55/17
Hammerli
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5