[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Re: Installed Michelin Pilot A/S! Yikes, that's close!

Postby fotodad » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:01 pm

Hammerli wrote:Are you sure the size is not 225/50/17? That size is virtually identical to stock, while the size you say you have, 225/55/17 is nearly a full inch larger diameter, which would explain why a 225/55 rubbed on my car. I really hope you have the 225/50, since I think those are one of the best choices for a summer tire on some IS300 rims.

I am positive they are 225/55/17. The dealer told me they'd be just fine since that was the original size of the factory tires. But you are absolutely right! I wish I had gotten the 225/50/17! In Michelin sizes they are much closer to the 225/55/17 Bridgestones. I tried to get the dealer to take back the 55s and put on 50s but he wouldn't do it. He continually reassured me the 55s would be just fine. And like I said, I asked my Toyota dealership and folks on this forum if I should be worried and ALL said nothing to worry about. So far I've noticed no problems with tires (knock on SLE wood trim).
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Hammerli » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:13 pm

I wonder if someone with a service manual could check to see if the suspension components are that much different from SLE to SE Sport. With the stock tire mounted, I literally have like 1/4" max clearance. You must have had 3 times that stock to allow for almost a full 1/2" increase in radius of tire.

I am just bummed they didn't work for me, since I think that is a great tire. Keep us posted on how you like them, particularly winter traction and if the noise level increases as they wear.
2000 Celica GT-S 6 speed
2004 Solara SE Sport V6
Black Pearl Emblems
Blizzak WS-50 215/55/17
Hammerli
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:36 am

Hammerli wrote:I wonder if someone with a service manual could check to see if the suspension components are that much different from SLE to SE Sport. With the stock tire mounted, I literally have like 1/4" max clearance. You must have had 3 times that stock to allow for almost a full 1/2" increase in radius of tire.

After I had the Michelins installed, I went back to the dealership just to check to see how much room there was with the stock tires on an SLE. I would say there was about five-eights of an inch of clearance, no more!

I never thought I'd say this, but I almost wish it would snow so I can see how the Michelins perform. Oops, I take that back. Snow equals salt on the road. Salt equals corrosion. Corrosion equals bad stuff.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5