[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - buying new Solara - any suggestions are appreciated
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

buying new Solara - any suggestions are appreciated

buying new Solara - any suggestions are appreciated

Postby solaranovice » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:40 am

I decided to purchase a base model SE Sport Solara last week (I sure wish factory leather seats were available). I haven't taken delivery yet, so any comments or suggestions would be great. I've enjoyed reading existing postings this morning. It looks like one area of concern I'll need to address before actually buying the car is to test for a left-leaning tendency on the highway. I'm also interested in the tire options that have been discussed. I'm not looking for a high performance sports car - a big reason I decided to purchase the SE Sport is because I'm not excited about the wood trim in the SLE - so considering all-season tires might be a possibility.

If my username doesn't appear (looks like Guest identifies new users) I have registered as "solaranovice". I look forward to any help!
solaranovice

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:10 am

My dealer was ready to put leather seats in an SE Sport if I desired for an extra $1600 but they aren't heated. I ended up getting an SLE instead. So if you really desire leather, it can be done for an SE Sport.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby solaranovice » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:29 am

Thanks for the reply. I had a similar offer, but the seats were going to be outiftted by another company. I'm worried about the look and quality. On the other hand, I was assured the seats could be added at any time, if the available cloth seats aren't acceptable.

Have you had any issues with your car fading to the left or disappointment with the standard tires? My main tire concern is noise.
solaranovice

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:37 pm

The standard OEM tires seem fine to me so far. I've been unable to make them squeal when turning on local roads at higher speeds than normal and road noise seems fine. I've yet to drive in snow to test them further though. I haven't put them through tough tests in wet weather either.

As far as left drifting, I get some on the highway in left and middle lanes but can stop it simply by holding the wheel and sometimes just angling it a degree or two to the right. On local roads I don't notice left drift. So basically, just holding the wheel eliminates most drift and letting go of wheel shows significant drift only in left highway lanes. I'd say that's not too bad at all.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: buying new Solara - any suggestions are appreciated

Postby fotodad » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:55 pm

solaranovice wrote:I decided to purchase a base model SE Sport Solara last week (I sure wish factory leather seats were available). I haven't taken delivery yet, so any comments or suggestions would be great. I've enjoyed reading existing postings this morning. It looks like one area of concern I'll need to address before actually buying the car is to test for a left-leaning tendency on the highway. I'm also interested in the tire options that have been discussed. I'm not looking for a high performance sports car - a big reason I decided to purchase the SE Sport is because I'm not excited about the wood trim in the SLE - so considering all-season tires might be a possibility.

You must really dislike the wood trim in the SLE to want cloth seats and the SE Sport trim instead. If the added cost isn't a concern, get the SLE! You'll get the nice heated leather seats and you can always take out the wood trim and put something after-market in its place. Regarding tire changes, I wish I had done what some other owners have described in other posts. Decide on what tire you want to replace the factory tires with and have them work those tires into the deal. That way you won't take as big a hit on the factory tires as I did when I sold them privately. I would be concerned about the pull left. In fact, I'd tell the dealer you are familiar with this problem and will not take delivery until you have test driven the vehicle to make sure it doesn't drift.

Good luck. Hope to see you as a regular member soon!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solararookie » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:49 pm

Thank you for your advice. You're right - I'm not at all attracted to the wood trim in the SLE. I'm certain it works for lots of buyers, just not me. The graphite finish in the SE Sport is more to my liking. I guess I'm also intrigued by the heavy duty Sport package - I've never owned a sports car (three Avalons before this purchase) and, even though the Solara is not a true sports car, this might be as close as I get. The money is not the primary factor in this decision - I just want to buy something I can be happy with immediately. I will act on your suggestion and not take delivery until the left leaning issue has been dealt with. Finally, the tires will also require some attention. It looks like you switched to a set of Michelins. Have you been happy with the change?

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Bob
solararookie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:50 pm

solararookie wrote:It looks like you switched to a set of Michelins. Have you been happy with the change?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Bob,

Yes, I switched to a set of Michelin Pilot A/S. I've only put a few hundred miles on them, mostly in fair weather. Once I drive them in more rain and snow, I'll happily post a review thread. Shouldn't be too much longer. I live in Wisconsin and snow is just around the corner, unfortunatley!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Shoe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:08 pm

1 thing i found kind of interesting is taht you said you wanted leather seats but didnt go for the sle cause of the wood trim.

Then you said you looked into leather seats to replace the cloth seats

Just a thought why didnt you look into replacing the wood with the graphite on an SLE rather than the cloth seating to the leather seats? on an SE sport?

just curious

Shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Shoe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:08 pm

1 thing i found kind of interesting is taht you said you wanted leather seats but didnt go for the sle cause of the wood trim.

Then you said you looked into leather seats to replace the cloth seats

Just a thought why didnt you look into replacing the wood with the graphite on an SLE rather than the cloth seating to the leather seats? on an SE sport?

just curious

Shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Hammerli » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:06 pm

If you go with the SE, be careful with tires. The Michelin's that fit on Fotodad's SLE will not fit on an SE Sport, I tried. If you go with the SE Sport, you'll have to stick with stock size (virtually no tires offered in that size), or go to a 225/50/17, which is 26.1 OD vs. 26.3 OD stock (225/55/17 = 27.1 OD). The stock tires are horrible. In the dry the sidewalls flex immensely, causing an odd transition on turn-in. The car will push much worse than it needs to as well based on the limited traction. They also hydroplane in the wet, and the understeer is far greater in the wet, to the point of being uncomfortably bad. I pulled them before it snowed, but check out Tire Rack's reviews for the EL42, they are the third tire from the bottom in their category, and snow traction is in the red; meaning basically non-existent. Since I was at Tire Rack when they mounted the 225/55 Pilot Sport A/S that rubbed, I had to go with something they had in stock, so I put on Blizzak WS-50's for the winter, and I'll likely run 225/50 Pilot Sport A/S come spring on some IS300 take-off rims.

I did not like the perforated leather, and am very happy with the cloth and dark trim vs. fake wood.
Last edited by Hammerli on Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Celica GT-S 6 speed
2004 Solara SE Sport V6
Black Pearl Emblems
Blizzak WS-50 215/55/17
Hammerli
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solararookie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:28 am

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. My new Sport SE should arrive today. I had a talk during a visit to the dealer yesterday regarding the Turanza tire situation. We checked the tires on two Sport SEs on the lot, both cars had Toyo Proxes tires, not the Bridgestones. The dealer promised my car would also - he'll change them out if he needs to. I'll also test drive the car because of the left pull steering issue.

Thanks again for your assistance! I look forward to checking back with this website to learn from everyone, and share my experiences, in the future.
Bob
solararookie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:43 pm

MAN you ppl have such nice dealers

in canada, our SLE doens't come with a I4, so only v6, and when i talk to the sales guy i was trying to make sure, so i asked him does SLE comes with I4, he doens't even know what i was talkign about, he even have to go on toyota.ca to find out ......

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5