[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Stock wheels
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Stock wheels

Stock wheels

Postby camtrek » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:45 pm

I ahve noticed that some of you have got your dealers to switch the stock tires for some new ones once you bought the car. I know the tires suck, any suggestions on hwo to talk to dealer for getting me a deal for some new ones?
camtrek

Postby got sport » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:58 pm

It depends on what brand of tires come with the car. Mine had Toyos Proxes, and I've had no problems with it. I guess I was lucky that it came with Toyos.
<b>'04 V6 SE Sport -Black</b>
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gotsport
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Stock wheels

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:19 pm

camtrek wrote:I ahve noticed that some of you have got your dealers to switch the stock tires for some new ones once you bought the car. I know the tires suck, any suggestions on hwo to talk to dealer for getting me a deal for some new ones?

Depends on what you mean by suck. If you only go by Tirerack.com ratings, yes they suck. But if you drive with them like I do, they seem to perform just fine so far in any weather. I'm sure there are better tires out there but I cannot call a tire that I cannot get to squeal sucky.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:40 pm

camtrek wrote:I ahve noticed that some of you have got your dealers to switch the stock tires for some new ones once you bought the car. I know the tires suck, any suggestions on hwo to talk to dealer for getting me a deal for some new ones?

My car came with the Bridgestones. They suck. Let me clarify that. Some people are under the mistaken impresson that "squealing" is somehow a measure of a tires abilities. I could easily get the stock tires to loose traction on dry pavement at speeds well under what I think is acceptable (i.e. the WS-50 snow tires currently mounted have better traction in the dry.) Now, I will admit they did not "squeal", but who cares, the point is they lost traction. Good luck on wet roads, they function as snowplows, but alas, no squealing again, just sliding. On turn in, the side walls exhibit a great deal of flex, which is disconcerting in a car whose suspension doesn't have the best damping.

Now, for a little background on my driving, I sold a Evolution VIII that was modified (381 whp) before buying my Solara. I used that car extensively for autocrossing, going through several sets of R compound tires in a short time. So my driving is likely at the extreme aggressive end of Solara owners, but in my opinion, even at moderate cornering, the stock tires are unsteady and offer limited traction. Coupled with the inherent understeer of a relatively heavy front driver, result is a bad combination.

Incidentally, on the stock AO46 Yoko's on the Evo, with a treadwear of 160 (basically R compound), I generally drove in a controlled throttle steering situation, and even in a full power four wheel drift, the tires never squealed. Most performance tires don't, ever been to a F1 race and heard squealing, I don't think so.

I guess I would hope people would qualify "drive them like I do." I am sure many Solara driver's will never exceed the stock tires abilities. That said, if you drive agressively, particularly in the twisties, you will be surely disappointed with the Bridgestones.

Postby TW85 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:29 pm

I am not an aggressive driver but I have felt the front tire(s) break loose several times while making a left turn. To be fair, it mostly happens on two left turns that are a little blind and cars can come around a corner quickly. Beyond that, I have not noticed any problems though I have yet to drive in the rain.

Build new tires into the negotiating process. Just make sure you know exactly what you're getting and get everything in writing!
TW85
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby camtrek » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:11 pm

Would I be able to work some new tires into a lease?

I am a fairly agressive driver, and I am somewhat used to Goodyear Eagle Gt1+'s. What would be a good substituion from Toyota?
camtrek

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:40 pm

[quote="Anonymous
I guess I would hope people would qualify "drive them like I do." I am sure many Solara driver's will never exceed the stock tires abilities. That said, if you drive agressively, particularly in the twisties, you will be surely disappointed with the Bridgestones.[/quote]

"Drive with them like I do" means to drive the car with these tires to test them out yourself instead of just quoting others and therefore not being qualified to criticize them. I have these tires and the guy I quoted doesn't even have the car yet. As you say, most drivers will find the stock tires just fine since they don't drive as aggressively as you. If one really enjoys aggressive driving in the twisties, either get much better tires and TRD shocks or better yet, get a better handling car like a 350z or G35. This car is certainly not a true sports car but I love it anyway.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:22 pm

slingshot wrote:[quote="Anonymous
I guess I would hope people would qualify "drive them like I do." I am sure many Solara driver's will never exceed the stock tires abilities. That said, if you drive agressively, particularly in the twisties, you will be surely disappointed with the Bridgestones.

"Drive with them like I do" means to drive the car with these tires to test them out yourself instead of just quoting others and therefore not being qualified to criticize them. I have these tires and the guy I quoted doesn't even have the car yet. As you say, most drivers will find the stock tires just fine since they don't drive as aggressively as you. If one really enjoys aggressive driving in the twisties, either get much better tires and TRD shocks or better yet, get a better handling car like a 350z or G35. This car is certainly not a true sports car but I love it anyway.[/quote]

What would you define the car as?

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:24 pm

I would define the car as a sporty coupe not a sports car. I think most would agree.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:
slingshot wrote:[quote="Anonymous

"Drive with them like I do" means to drive the car with these tires to test them out yourself instead of just quoting others and therefore not being qualified to criticize them. I have these tires and the guy I quoted doesn't even have the car yet. As you say, most drivers will find the stock tires just fine since they don't drive as aggressively as you. If one really enjoys aggressive driving in the twisties, either get much better tires and TRD shocks or better yet, get a better handling car like a 350z or G35. This car is certainly not a true sports car but I love it anyway.

What would you define the car as?[/quote]

Irrespective of the cars classification, I prefer the limits of my cars to be defined by the suspension and not the tires. This is not the case with the stock tires. Adding TRD suspension components(not available yet) would only exascerbate the stock tires problems. I do plan to add TRD suspension components, but there is absolutely no reason to upgrade the suspension prior to the tires in the case of the Solara.

What I meant by my comment was to define "driving like I do" i.e. I find the tires fine, but I drive very conservatively. That way others can better use your opinion if their driving style coincides with yours.

I have driven both the 350Z and G35, and find them much more of a GT car than a sports car. I don't group the Solara with those cars. The Solara has the potential to be a capable, but not outstanding, handling car given the right tires and suspension components.

Postby rgache » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:18 pm

Interesting thread . . .

Anyway, I negotiated a deal with both tires and wheels from my dealer, for both lease or purchase (I purchased). I got a $600 credit for the stock wheels and tires (see the whole story in the thread "review of my 2004 solara."

But, let me say that the performance with the new wheels and tires is excellent [SSR GT1, 18inch x 7.5 inch wide (+38 offset; 114.3 bolt) (Michelen Pilot MXM4s (P235/45R18 94V)]. My only complaint is that the ride is a little stiff for long trips on the highway.

-R
Russell
rgache
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5