[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - simple S/C question
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

simple S/C question

simple S/C question

Postby satchmo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:55 am

I just recently purchased a Kazuma S/C from my local dealer (1600 installed, b/c they just wanted to get rid of it from inventory).

Do I need a Dynamic Belt Tensioner for this item? What type of plugs and wires do I need (I have seen a couple of opinions, so I just need clarification).

I drive a '00 SLE Auto.
satchmo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

S/c Question

Postby satchmo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:45 am

Okay...did some searching...sorry

Still have one question. some of the posts indicate that you do not need a tensioner with the newer S/C's. The dealer where I purchased the s/c said the reason it was so cheap is b/c it is an older model not made anymore, hence no warranty. Is there a particular year that Kazuma began to include the tensioner?
satchmo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:46 am

no particular year, however its the 2nd batch more so mass produced that came with teh tensioner.

you are able to add the tensioner in on the 1st gen s/c's.

imho, its actually better since its auto tensioned instead of guessing what tension it is at.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby satchmo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:04 pm

thanks for the reply. i am still alittle cornfused. the parts guy at the dealership indicated that this is a 1st gen kazuma s/c. so does that mean i need to purchase a tensioner for that model? do i even need one at all.
satchmo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:01 pm

You don't have to have one. I have a 1st gen s/c without the tensioner for like 1 1/2 years now. I did purchase the dynamic tensioner but haven't installed it yet.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby satchmo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:56 am

thanks astro. does the tensioner make the s/c work better? I am asking b/c I am getting it installed next week and if i need one (or it operates better) than now is the time to get the tensioner.
satchmo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JoeB » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:34 am

I think the reason for the tensioner is, it allows the belt tension to be much looser and the tension increases as the RPM/load on the supercharger increases. This should extend the life of the coupler in the end of the sc (less tension) and I believe it would reduce parasitic loss as well. However, there are a number of people who are running the older style and not having problems. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Astro » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:43 am

satchmo wrote:thanks astro. does the tensioner make the s/c work better? I am asking b/c I am getting it installed next week and if i need one (or it operates better) than now is the time to get the tensioner.

Like Joe said, you probably won't have any problems. You should do it if you can, it'll be better if you plan on upgrading your pulley.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Return to Forced Induction