[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Running lean
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Running lean

Running lean

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon May 30, 2005 3:07 pm

Just wondering...

Only having too much air intake would eventually push to the system running lean, correct? (aside from injector/fuel pump inefficiencies)

Would an exhaust make it run lean? I would think not... but you F/I guys obviously would know better than I do.

Thanks in advance,

Your local jackass.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Mandarinsolara » Mon May 30, 2005 4:58 pm

theoretically (im NA), it should not. the factory ecu was setup to adjust itself to the supercharger. and the o2 sensors would just add more fuel anyways if it started to lean out.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon May 30, 2005 7:19 pm

The 1MZ was designed so when the supercharger was added at stock levels (4 psi?) the injectors adjust enough... but, as you can see, once people added injen intakes, kn filters, etc... they began to hit the lean region and start to blow knock sensors

There obviously is a thresh-hold limit of the 1. injectors 2. fuel pump (solved via Jim's fuel track upgrade)

but I'm talking about adding a full exhaust system (exhaust manifold to muffler). No f/i, no intake, no nada. Only exhaust size increase, no intake increases except for a kN filter
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby i20solara02i » Mon May 30, 2005 7:44 pm

adding exhaust, headers, intake leans out the car
version 3.0 complete 302 hp 303 tq stay tuned for 3.01 (meth installed, now needs to get it tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOTi2NPNIA
i20solara02i
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lazyboyz69 » Mon May 30, 2005 10:24 pm

thats why i've haven't blown a knock senor yet.... no intake, no exhaust, no headers....
5 spd v6 supercharged, TRD kit,TRD short shifter,TRD Rear Sway Bar,TRD Front Tie Bar,TRD Exhuast,Rear B&G Damper System, tien/tokcio front,18" Axis Seven,Walbro 190 fuel pump,
lazyboyz69
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Turbosolara » Tue May 31, 2005 4:45 pm

I am not sure on this, i could be wrong but here is my logic

But i think what happen is when you have engine mods, they cause better flow inside the engine. For example, intake helped better flow into the intake maniford and the exhuast system help better flow out of exhaust system. Since solara (or most of car nowadays) has returnless fuel system, the fuel dilvery rate is very limited. Also, the factory ecu did not expect to have such big different occur and it cannot react to it. So that cause lean.

i remeber HKS had a A/F tunning controller (just like SAFC) that is for car that only has I/H/E that will allow you to tune your a/f ratio but not too much. It is not for force induction. i think it was like $150

if you have good tune, you should able to prevent blow knock sensors. My car is boosting 9psi and the knock sensor still good with 91 octane everyday.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Akfahad » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:13 am

Just adding on an exhaust will not lean out the car with no engine mods. That's what I did, had done nothing to the engine and put on my cat-back and it was fine.

The only time I got a lean signal was months after I had the supercharger installed and right after I had a shop put in my boost and EGT gauge. I don't know why putting in those two gauges set it off, but it did. (granted I do have the CAI installed, so that most likely added to the situation)Luckily, I already had the Walbro 190 pump and 318cc injectors, had a shop install that and that cleared the lean signal.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:25 am

Akfahad wrote:Just adding on an exhaust will not lean out the car with no engine mods. That's what I did, had done nothing to the engine and put on my cat-back and it was fine.

The only time I got a lean signal was months after I had the supercharger installed and right after I had a shop put in my boost and EGT gauge. I don't know why putting in those two gauges set it off, but it did. (granted I do have the CAI installed, so that most likely added to the situation)Luckily, I already had the Walbro 190 pump and 318cc injectors, had a shop install that and that cleared the lean signal.

The answer I was looking for! Thanks

Maybe I'll get the Apex A/F controller too... just in case
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Akfahad » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 am

Jackass-Jeff wrote:
Akfahad wrote:Just adding on an exhaust will not lean out the car with no engine mods. That's what I did, had done nothing to the engine and put on my cat-back and it was fine.

The answer I was looking for! Thanks

Maybe I'll get the Apex A/F controller too... just in case

No need, in my opinion...

I just got mine a month ago, after I installed the supercharger, fuel, injectors, jim's fuel line upgrade, etc. I haven't even had the time to tune it yet, all it's been doing is monitoring and everything's been fine. Don't get me wrong though, as soon as I have the time, I'm definitely going to be tuning it to get the best performance out of everything.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

K & N filter

Postby Grnarowana » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:11 pm

In regards to mods, is putting a K & N filter a mod? I just din;t wanan keep onbuying air filtes for my car and went for the K & N filter. Leanign out the car? It does that if i Put a K & N air filter? WTF??? I htought it'll just save me GAS!!!
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Akfahad » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:05 am

Just simply putting in a better air filter (K & N) in the stock airbox will not lean out the car. Your gonna get better airflow using a K & N and you'll feel a slight difference if any...but that's it. Nothing else will happen.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby that1mexguy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:00 am

Not sure if this helps, or maybe I'm overlooking something but I have full exhaust system, CAI, supercharger and still haven't blown anything.
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Forced Induction