[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CEL with SC
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

CEL with SC

CEL with SC

Postby amabsolute » Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 am

well it was bound to happen got my first cell P0330, after doing some searching in the forum its likely to be running lean? i should replace the knock sensor and get the fuel line upgrade? is this right, am i forgetting something?

should also mention that the CEL comes on in second gear at around 30k/hr
thanks
IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/amabsolute1/crap-1.jpg[/IMG]
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: CEL with SC

Postby Dawgz » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 am

amabsolute wrote:well it was bound to happen got my first cell P0330, after doing some searching in the forum its likely to be running lean? i should replace the knock sensor and get the fuel line upgrade? is this right, am i forgetting something?

thanks

What is ur setup? what type of gas do you use?
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby amabsolute » Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am

its stock boost no engine mods other than the injen intake, i use either shell 91(v-power) or sunoco 94
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Dawgz » Tue May 19, 2009 10:02 am

amabsolute wrote:its stock boost no engine mods other than the injen intake, i use either shell 91(v-power) or sunoco 94

U should definitly stick with higher octane (sunoco 94) thats 94 octane rite?

You should contact ASG14 on here and get that Jim's Fuel mod from him.

This should solve ur issues till ur upping the boost, then u'll need the walbro 190 fuel pump, etc.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby amabsolute » Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 am

yes thats octane, okay thanks i'll pm ASG14 asap
thanks Dawgz
Last edited by amabsolute on Tue May 19, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 pm

i had actually never hooked up the fuel mod i had but did have the 190lph pump installed and never dropped a lean code again. i would definatly invest in both however. makes tuning much more productive.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

well it was bound to happen got my first cell P0330, after doing some searching in the forum its likely to be running lean? i should replace the knock sensor and get the fuel line upgrade? is this right, am i forgetting something?
thanks

The CEL will come on AFTER the *DEED IS DONE*....I street raced at WOT in summer and got the cell a little later just driving normally. Same thing happened after a dyno run...came on driving home from the Dyno.
Did you go WOT (floor it) shortly before the CEL?
BTW...93 gas is a MUST if you jam it every now and then. I switched over to 93 (mixed 91 and 100 combo) with the 5.5Lb pulley and haven't had a problem since. I also switched to Jim's mod a bit later, but the 93 gas really seemed to make the difference (as far as CEL goes). Were you on the 91 gas when this happened?
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby amabsolute » Tue May 19, 2009 4:54 pm

yeah i was on the 91 octane wen it happened, but i didnt WOT i was leaving my house driving down the side streets to get to a main rd. i think the fastest i got to was 40k/hr. after i got the CEL i put in 94 octane at sunoco and today on my way home my CEL shut off, but i wasnt shifting above 2800rpm since i didnt want to do any damage to my engine. boost kicks in at 3800rpm if im not mistaken. i just want to play it safe.

thanks for all the info
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby RON » Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm

>>
after i got the CEL i put in 94 octane at sunoco and today on my way home my CEL shut off, but i wasnt shifting above 2800rpm since i didnt want to do any damage to my engine. boost kicks in at 3800rpm if im not mistaken. i just want to play it safe. <<

If you get this code, the light will probably come back. It indicates a MALFUNCTION of the sensor..usually a *BLOWN* sensor. If it's working properly, you get no light on the sensor....it will pull timming when it detects KNOCK. If you're running LEAN, you get another code entirely (look up the *sticky* here on *tutorials*...first one on the codes.

P0330 – Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (bank 2, V6 models)
· Open or short in knock sensor 2 circuit
· Loose knock sensor 2
· PCM malfunction[/quote]
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby amabsolute » Tue May 19, 2009 7:04 pm

i was doing some searching and this is what i found to make me think that P0330 code would make me run lean and would be a fuel problem

www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=19897

>>Yes, the front bank is the one that runs lean (Code 0330), and is fixed with fuel mods, like the one that Jim@FA offers. With some people, myself included, the rear bank starts throwing the 0325 code for the knock sensor after the fuel issues are fixed. It seems that it's more sensitive to the S/C noise, and throws a false code. I had the knock sensor inputs to the ECU rewired so that the bank 2 sensor fed both of them. Like you, I haven't had a problem with knock sensors since then, and it's been over a year and a half.>>

www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=15440

>>The whole problem with broken knock sensors has been traced down to lack of enough fuel especially to the front fuel rail. The pathetic stock fuel delivery pipe and restrictive fuel filter tube can barely supply enough fuel for the stock car. Once supercharged ANY boost amount, the fuel system is no longer adequite. It is NOT a problem with injectors. It is NOT a problem with too small a fuel pump. The restriction is in the fuel filter and tube to the fuel rails. Even on 4 psi cars, removing the restriction has improved power and throttle response and has cured issues with knock sensors. People are now running 7 psi safely with all other fuel system components stock. (I highly recommend lower compression beyond 6psi).>>

any other info and/or thoughts on this ?
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby RON » Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 pm

>>>>Yes, the front bank is the one that runs lean (Code 0330), and is fixed with fuel mods,<<

Here is the *LEAN CODE*...(0330 is the malfuntion knock sensor code)

P0171 – System too lean
· Loose air intake hose or duct
· Incorrect fuel line pressure
· Obstruction in injector
· Heated oxygen sensor malfunction
· MAP or MAF sensor malfunction
· ECT sensor malfunction

It's true that a lean condition will lead to excessive KNOCK, thus blowing the sensor as well. I did the Jim's fuel mod as added insurance against blowing the Knock sensor :) . The thing about blowing the sensor is that you have your timming retarted BIG TIME until you replace the sensor. Replacing the sensors is EXPENSIVE (OEM at least) and requires that you pull off the SC unit :cry:
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby amabsolute » Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 am

yes sorry i must have said it wrong, the code P0330 is the knock sensor on bank 2 and the cause for that from what ive read is lack of enough fuel. so to fix the P0330 code i would have to replace the knock sensor and upgrade the fuel lines.....right?
amabsolute
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cartang » Wed May 20, 2009 8:12 am

Knock sensor , if you are going to replace it go with ATS kit ( GM sensors)
There is a bunch of post about it
I replace 3 times my Knock sensors (SC with 6psi since 2001)
Sept. 2005 with Toyota knock sensor
March 2008 with Toyota knock sensor ( I was already using walbro pump and Jim Fuel sistem upgrade x 9 months
April 2009 with ATS kit GM knock sensors thanks God , no mores CEl . :D
cartang
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am

sensor , if you are going to replace it go with ATS kit ( GM sensors)
There is a bunch of post about it
I replace 3 times my Knock sensors (SC with 6psi since 2001)
Sept. 2005 with Toyota knock sensor
March 2008 with Toyota knock sensor ( I was already using walbro pump and Jim Fuel sistem upgrade x 9 months
April 2009 with ATS kit GM knock sensors thanks God , no mores CEl

What Octane were you using when you blew them? I have 5.5 Lb boost and now use ONLY 93 Oct which I get when I blend 5 Gal 100 into a full tank of 91. So far No CEL and have been HAMMERING IT :D . I also advise using the 160 thermostat as well. I've been running at least 20 degrees cooler (est from gauge) on average. The only time it goes into the *normal 180-190* range is when I have been driving in heavy traffic.
BTW, just because the *stonger sensor* isn't giving you a CEL, doesn't mean *all is well*. Those sensors>>>BLEW FOR A REASON :o . You're probably still driving on the ragged edge with knock, but the CEL is being *kept quiet* :roll: ...*NO BUENO*!
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction