[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - wiring boost gauge...need help
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

wiring boost gauge...need help

wiring boost gauge...need help

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:37 pm

this isnt really a boost related question but figured id post it here since most if not all are running gauges. how the hell do i get power to the damn light...lol. i wiered it to the light ring in the cigarette lighter and that didnt work. the light ring lights up but no power to the gauge. tried using another source for the ground(chassis) and nothing.

the gauge is brand new and the bulb is fine. checked my wiering and its ok too. i sware ive seen people wire at least one gauge to this location but for the life of me i cant figure out what im doin wrong. i even tried using the cigarette lighter wiering itself and still nothing.

whats more...my TRD gauge did the same thing...could never get it to light in that location. seems kinda stupid but any advice would be great.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Try the clock.

Which wire (color) are you tapping?
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

green im assuming is hot as the other is black. is it possible there just isnt enough power going through this particilar circuit to power the bulb?
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:52 pm

It's possible but unlikely.

Is there a blue wire with a red stripe going to the lighter? That is the wire you should tap.
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby bigbirdSCed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:19 pm

ill have to check it tomarow. byt using the lighter itself will cause the lights to be on whenever the key is in the ON position, right(never use the cig lighter)? i was using the ring sicne its activated when the parking lights are turned on.

but light all the time is better then none at all :lol: .
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Try tracing the Blue and red wire from the clock. It splits and powers both the clock and the cigarette lighter.
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby Gibson99 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:31 pm

my gauges (greddy) all have their "brain" boxes on the center tunnel just aft of the shifter. there's a connector there for the automatic shifter which contains a hot wire for illumination, and so that's where my gauges get their ill. signal.

in my gen3, i used a test light to find the illum. wire for the factory cluster and just tapped into that. that way the factory dimmer knob also controlled my add-on gauges.

as you prolly already know, ground can be had anywhere.

btw - your ignition ring comes on with your parking lights? something's wrong there - it should only come on with the dome light, and then only when a door is open. that's why i'm suggesting shifter or gauge cluster illum. james is right tho - the cigarette lighter illum ring (or ash tray light) ought to work just as well.

hell, even the radio has an illum feed. if you have an aftermarket radio, i believe it's the orange lead.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Man, I have to read closer - I thought you were looking for a power signal.

You could do what Gibson suggested (a good idea) or, the black wire coming out of the dimmer knob, the green (not green and white) for the glove box.
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby Gibson99 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:14 pm

if it's a mechanical boost gauge then there is no power lead. and i think the trd one is mechanical. my greddys are all electrical and get their power from the lighter circuit, which as i said, has an illum signal conveniently close. :)
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Gibson99 wrote:if it's a mechanical boost gauge then there is no power lead. and i think the trd one is mechanical. my greddys are all electrical and get their power from the lighter circuit, which as i said, has an illum signal conveniently close. :)

Yeah, I just realized that...

I think the fiberglass resin fumes are getting to me.
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby bigbirdSCed » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Gibson99 wrote:my gauges (greddy) all have their "brain" boxes on the center tunnel just aft of the shifter. there's a connector there for the automatic shifter which contains a hot wire for illumination, and so that's where my gauges get their ill. signal.

in my gen3, i used a test light to find the illum. wire for the factory cluster and just tapped into that. that way the factory dimmer knob also controlled my add-on gauges.

btw - your ignition ring comes on with your parking lights? something's wrong there - it should only come on with the dome light, and then only when a door is open. that's why i'm suggesting shifter or gauge cluster illum. james is right tho - the cigarette lighter illum ring (or ash tray light) ought to work just as well.

hell, even the radio has an illum feed. if you have an aftermarket radio, i believe it's the orange lead.

lighter illumination ring is what ive used...not ignition illumination ring. and yes, both the TRD and my current one are mechanical, so lighting is all i need.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 pm

bigbirdSCed wrote:
Gibson99 wrote:my gauges (greddy) all have their "brain" boxes on the center tunnel just aft of the shifter. there's a connector there for the automatic shifter which contains a hot wire for illumination, and so that's where my gauges get their ill. signal.

lighter illumination ring is what ive used...not ignition illumination ring. and yes, both the TRD and my current one are mechanical, so lighting is all i need.

Both my gauges are tapped into the parking lights....
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby bigbirdSCed » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 pm

i may just have to do that. tried an idea from adam and hooked a 9v to the gauge wiering and it works...dim but works.

thanks for the help guys, well see what i get to work.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction