[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD EBC
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

TRD EBC

TRD EBC

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:40 am

I supercharged my Solara with no EBC (electronic boost control). I know it controls boost levels but how important is this component? Also, if you have an SAFC do you still need an EBC?
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby grnsolara » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:02 am

Maybe I'm dumb Speedy, but on my auto v6 I've been running w/o the EBC for 50k miles with no problems at 5.5 psi. Others can chime in, but as for me, the car runs perfectly and everything according to a diagnostics run while driving.
I read forums more than I talk. /shame
grnsolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Dawgz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:25 am

If ur manual, u really dont have to worry about the EBC.

For Auto however, the EBC will cut boost in between shifts (good thing).

In anycase, if anyone needs one...I have one for sale, just pm me.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby TxBmbleBee » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:08 pm

grnsolara wrote:Maybe I'm dumb Speedy, but on my auto v6 I've been running w/o the EBC for 50k miles with no problems at 5.5 psi. Others can chime in, but as for me, the car runs perfectly and everything according to a diagnostics run while driving.

you might want to invest in a tranny cooler..
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solarizona » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm running 4psi with an auto and tranny cooler. I haven't run into any problems since I had it installed - about 20k miles ago. The technician that installed it said he has not used the EBC on any of the 50 or so installs he's done, and he's never seen any kind of failure without it. I got the tranny cooler just to be safe.
TRD Bodykit, Eibach, Tokico, BBS, OBX headers/y-pipe, Custom 2.5" Magnaflow/Dynomax, PowerStop, Goodridge, AFE.
Solarizona
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby STYLSH » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:03 am

Well i'm on 4psi and my tranny needs a rebuild. Car's only done 80k km. Only about 10k on with the supercharger too. 1st to 2nd change slips like crazy. Which just fast forwarded my swap plan lol.
STYLSH
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby panic » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:41 am

the EBC will cut boost in between shifts

Familiar with the concept, but what exactly triggers the device?

What happens to the blower when the device is active?
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:15 am

I have one for sale. PM me if you are interested
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Mr_Chunkz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 pm

dont know if my idiotic driving style did it or not but my stock trans burned out very quick after modding to 6 psi and disabling ebc and doing instant boost mod....
Id recommend running with ebc if you wanna preserve your trans.
- Mr_Chunkz -
The Daily
Mr_Chunkz
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby STYLSH » Fri May 01, 2009 2:57 am

Between the gear changes it uses its stored vacuum from the canister to activates the bypass valve. This thus cuts boost. This only happens for a fraction of a second. So the boost gauge dances between 4 and just under 0 and then back to boost.
STYLSH
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby panic » Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 am

So it picks up the shift signal from the ECM to trigger the vacuum release to the bypass?

I take it that the vacuum release to the bypass is otherwise solenoid operated by a signal from the max pressure switch?

A fraction of a second sounds good, but is it enough to completely cover the entire upshift process? I don't know.

Obviously, this is a good idea but for all practical purposes there isn't any vacuum accumulated between gear changes during a full-throttle run under boost.
The amount already stored must be sufficient for all 4 shifts, so unless the canister capacity is large, it may be exhausted before the 4-5 shift.

The duration of the off-boost period sounds like a function of how long the switch is open, the amount of vacuum (in psi) in the canister, and the size of the hose leading to the bypass. If the canister were large enough, a smaller hose will increase the bypass time, yes?
This should be easy and cheap to do if you don't mind modifying the canister. If the release valve is not in the canister, another canister can simply be "T"-d into the line between the valve and the existing, and both will accumulate and release together. The maximum vacuum level is probably between 20 and 25" Hg, since peak will be a closed throttle deceleration and no way to increase that without a pump (and you can't really expect more than 28" anyway).

I would guess for high boost application that running a larger bypass valve or 2 valves in parallel would drop the pressure farther and faster.

The EBC could also be used to shut off nitrous during the shift period for the same reason.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Dawgz » Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 am

panic wrote:So it picks up the shift signal from the ECM to trigger the vacuum release to the bypass?

I take it that the vacuum release to the bypass is otherwise solenoid operated by a signal from the max pressure switch?

A fraction of a second sounds good, but is it enough to completely cover the entire upshift process? I don't know.

Obviously, this is a good idea but for all practical purposes there isn't any vacuum accumulated between gear changes during a full-throttle run under boost.
The amount already stored must be sufficient for all 4 shifts, so unless the canister capacity is large, it may be exhausted before the 4-5 shift.

The duration of the off-boost period sounds like a function of how long the switch is open, the amount of vacuum (in psi) in the canister, and the size of the hose leading to the bypass. If the canister were large enough, a smaller hose will increase the bypass time, yes?
This should be easy and cheap to do if you don't mind modifying the canister. If the release valve is not in the canister, another canister can simply be "T"-d into the line between the valve and the existing, and both will accumulate and release together. The maximum vacuum level is probably between 20 and 25" Hg, since peak will be a closed throttle deceleration and no way to increase that without a pump (and you can't really expect more than 28" anyway).

I would guess for high boost application that running a larger bypass valve or 2 valves in parallel would drop the pressure farther and faster.

The EBC could also be used to shut off nitrous during the shift period for the same reason.

For high boost applications, you'd have a built trans and a built motor, thus having no need for the ebc.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby panic » Fri May 01, 2009 8:18 am

I can't think of why you would want boost during the upshift event, or how a built transmission could have double or triple the clamping force of the original parts.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby panic » Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 am

One of the reasons for damage is a symptom called "flare" where engine speed increases during the shift.
The current gear and future (next higher) gear cannot simply be swapped or exchanged as would a manual in an upshift.
The current is released by dumping the line pressure to its solenoid or piston over a time interval.
Almost simultaneously, the next gear is applied in similar manner, but how much shift overlap (while both are partially engaged) is determined by how much power there is, comfort level desired, traction, engine RPM, torque capacity of the friction material, friction area (number and diameter of clutches), vacuum/throttle opening etc.
Shortening both intervals sounds good, but what if there is a different minimum time to compete each task, and they cannot match? That's right: BANG - the car tries to have 2 gears at once (transmission breaks/slips, wheels lock), or no gear at all (engine speed "flares", hit rev limiter, clutches are toast by full power but only very light engagement).

Longer explanation: read the TransGo literature.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby STYLSH » Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 pm

The vacuum canister is big enough for it. There is only 3 times when you need it to pull the boost off. Chances are you wont need to wind out all 4 gears off the line... You need one heck of a straight road. The other thing the EBC does is it cuts boost in first hence why people dont use it.

And there are built transmissions that can take on a lot more power than what the supercharger can ever put out. Tony uses the built transmission with both his single big turbo and his twin turbo setups on the camry without problems. We are talking over double the power the charger puts out even when the boost is upped.
STYLSH
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Forced Induction