[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Insulation for SC?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Insulation for SC?

Insulation for SC?

Postby RON » Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 am

I have just used high temp insulating tape for my intake and fuel hoses on Jim's Fuel Mod (hoses have cracked with some people?). I'm now going to place this insulation on TOP of my SC. What do you guys think of this idea? Sure can't hurt.

Here's the product:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Protection against extreme heat.
DEI Reflect-A-Cool heat shields are sheets of reflective material with an adhesive back which offers outstanding protection against extreme heat. A combination of fiberglass and an aluminized layer of reflective foil, Reflect-A-Cool heat shields are ideal for firewalls, marine engine bays, RV "dog house" or in the tub of a racecar where typical mechanical fasteners cannot be used. Reflect-A-Cool will reflect up to 1000 degrees F and will protect against a direct continuous temperature of 400 degrees F. Superior protection against radiant heat, self adhesive for easy installation, and can be easily trimmed and cut to fit. Virtually no clearance needed.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 am

why bother ?? i dont think theres a need for it i haven't seen anybody with the Sc have it done, now people with turbos do it but that's different
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby panic » Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 am

The first question is "is the blower case temperature under boost higher or lower than the engine bay air temperature".
Typically, under boost the case gets very hot, and insulating it just makes it worse. The GM M90 has engine coolant in it to at least keep it to 195°.
You can probably get the case temp by making a hard run and using a thermal gun at various spots (the hottest is right inside where the TB port joins the rotors), but underhood temp will be tough unless you can hang a probe under there that reads while driving, since the amount of "flush" is difficult to predict.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby D-money » Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 pm

i dont think it is a good idea it is designed to release heat with the cooling fins on the outside.
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm

The first question is "is the blower case temperature under boost higher or lower than the engine bay air temperature".
Typically, under boost the case gets very hot, and insulating it just makes it worse.

The SC is HOT to the touch after running the car..just like the INTAKE pipe! It's picking up heat from the engine bay..just like any manifold would (it is a manifold as well). Since it's NOT RUNNING BOOST MOST OF THE TIME, the heat is obviously comming from th engine bay not the SC itself. Thus protecting it from heat *should* lower the intake charge.

I welcome any arguments pro and con.

RON
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

>>i dont think it is a good idea it is designed to release heat with the cooling fins on the outside<<

Yeah...I noticed that too. I'm going to do more research on this....but I still say it's picking more heat than it generates. If you drive the car around and AVOID hitting the boost you'll find that it STILL gets quite hot.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby panic » Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm

No basis but my own observations, but the fins are decorative and may be nothing more.
There is heat generated inside the case even when there is no boost, since the rotor speed is always the same. The bypass only changes how much air goes through the rotors.
What I don't know is how much hotter is it than the underhood air under boost - it may be 100° hotter.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 pm

not only does the sc generate its own heat, but doesn't it conduct more heat from contact with the engine moreso than just the surrounding air?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby akora12 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

As panic eluded to, the S/C creates its own heat! Boost or not, the blower is working all of the time. Engine temps definitely add to the problem, but the M62's generate a lot of heat since they have no way of cooling themselves.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Thu May 14, 2009 4:14 pm

As panic eluded to, the S/C creates its own heat! Boost or not, the blower is working all of the time. Engine temps definitely add to the problem, but the M62's generate a lot of heat since they have no way of cooling themselves.

Heat is NOT created when the rotors are just *spinning*...it's when the air is PRESSURIZED (on boost with valve shut). The freely spinning rotors have no resistance and simply *move the air along* when OFF BOOST.
I noticed that the BIG FINS are on the spinning shaft portion (rotors)...the small fins (if you can call them that :-? ) are on the intake runner portion. I'm now thinking of insulating that portion..not the top. I'm going to do more research and get back.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TMMK Toy » Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Sounds good, Ron. Keep us posted.
TMMK Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 am

>>Just found this product: http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewPr ... exID=41766 <<

YES...ALSO GO TO: http://WWW.OUTLAWENGINEERING.COM

They have a *manifold insulator program* and I bet we can get them to make one for our SC!

BTW, I found this article on them:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Cool-Stu ... ticle.html

>>The intake air in EFI engines is drawn through the airflow meter and throttle body, and then into an alloy intake manifold. During its residence in the intake manifold casting, the air charge picks up unwanted heat from the manifold, increasing its volume and lowering the resistance of the engine to knock.

One of the possibilities for reducing the intake air temperature is to install a cold air intake. However, another possibility is to>>>(NOTE THIS PART!!!)....... reduce the heat conduction from the hot engine to the intake manifold by thermally separating the two.<<

They are using a gasket UNDERNEATH the SC at the intake runners....BUT, I still may be on the right track of using thermal insulation just on the INTAKE RUNNER part of the SC .

Any way...I bet we can get a spacer made just like they have done for a host of other cars! In fact, they're working on the Lexus now (see the link on the web site).
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bigbirdSCed » Fri May 15, 2009 2:17 am

this one somthing i kinda addressed a while back with my gen4 camry...workin on the gen3 now but its MUCH better for the SC then the gen4 is.

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php? ... nt+cooling

because the SC creates its own heat...wrapping it would cause it to retain that heat which i certainly wouldnt want. intake piping only soaks heat so wraping that would help to keep the air cooler.
bigbirdSCed
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RON » Fri May 15, 2009 9:05 am

because the SC creates its own heat...wrapping it would cause it to retain that heat which i certainly wouldnt want. intake piping only soaks heat so wraping that would help to keep the air cooler.

True, but were now talking about the INTAKE CHARGE TEMP as it enters the cylinders. We know the SC adds temp to the charge on boost (pressureized). The question now is: HOW can we LOWER the temps of that charge? The gasket mentioned above definately seems to work because it helps to *isolate* the end of the manifold from the engine block..lowering the heat transfer from the engine to the manifold.

OK...MY POINT is this:

DOES THE MANIFOLD PORTION OF THE SC (IE, THE RUNNERS) ABSORB MORE HEAT FROM THE ENGINE BAY THAN IT RADIATES?
You'll notice that the fins (for heat dissipation) on the SC are very pronounce on the ROTOR portion and much smaller on the lower part.
There are NONE on the runners at the bottom....*hinting* that there isn't enough heat to radiate OFF that portion. So...it's my contention that
AT THAT LOCATION OF THE SC, you have a NET absorbtion of heat from the engine bay and adding a heat shield there should help keep it cooler.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Forced Induction