[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - turbo v. supercharge: 1mz
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

turbo v. supercharge: 1mz

Postby Whatever » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:43 pm

so you can put larger turbo in the V6? then i4?
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 pm

THats why Im leaving my car stock..Too much troubles....Well, almost stock.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Turbosolara » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:23 pm

@)_(@ wrote:so you can put larger turbo in the V6? then i4?

thats right, if your car can handle higher boost and has room in the engine bay for it.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:24 pm

i don't diss people like this because I remember asking the same questions when I just got my Solara...

Since then, I've read up on things like this and learn a lot. That's why I realize the Solara is a nice CRUISER car and will never really be a superfast car (it's still Front Wheel Drive and will NEVER handle like a ITR)
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby TRD_solaRa » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:58 am

Honestly the Solara is a damn smooth lookin ride, but it just wasn't meant for true performance. Unless you are going to REBUILD/ENFORCE the engine . . . I guarantee you WILL have problems turbocharging it. A guy from Hawaii already built his custom turbo kit several years back already . . . refer to this link: http://www.pbase.com/turbotoy/turbo_solara. So on the real, guys have done this already and luckily enough they're on this forum . . . so I'd take heed to what they're saying. They've done it. But we're all entitled to say what we want.

About turbocharging the 1MZ-FE, yups the pistons will more than likely go first . . . and no doubt that you absolutely MUST upgrade your fuel components. Just to fabricate the turbo set up (ie. turbo, manifold, intercooler, mounts, piping, cutting, measuring, etc. etc.) will run you at least $6000 or so. James (the owner of the pic below) was runnin around 10-12 psi, but he burnt a bunch of pistons, blew the knock sensors (both) and has some other probs. Apparently he sold the car, but the guy who bought it is re-tuning the car anyways.

Image 8) Looks smoooooooth tho . . . 8)
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nutty101 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:11 pm

I disagree, the solara is a perofmance car. Just how you look at it. It's all about the wallet. The car can handle with the right wheels and suspension. That's not much of an issue. As for power, the car has options. First you can build a turbo or S/C it. If you have the right person build the motor you could put some good power down. Then the tranny can be built to take some juice.

If that isn't good enough there have at least 8 RWD conversions that I know of. All but one are 2jz swaps. One is running the 1uz v8 with twin turbos on it. I think that guy is putting down almost 1600 with it (non street legal however). Just a matter of how much you like the car and how deep your pockets can go. :)

Need to find a video of my solara in a turn. Had that sucker on three wheels (Sorry kenny, your wheels are getting used hard) and still was not sliding. Was before we finished up the suspension though. Now i couldn't do that if i tried.
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mandarinsolara » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:12 pm

what can i say?

you guys will be pissed though when ole dumbass mandarinsolara shows up in super street or something.

that 2jz conversion sounds fun dont it? it could get me there.
but having a mag car is one of my goals in life.
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Nutty101 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:47 pm

Mandarinsolara wrote:what can i say?

you guys will be pissed though when ole dumbass mandarinsolara shows up in super street or something.

that 2jz conversion sounds fun dont it? it could get me there.
but having a mag car is one of my goals in life.

The 2jz conversion isn't legal. I wasted a ton of time and cash on this. The problem is that you have to have a power plant the same year or newer than the car to pass inspection/emissions. So unless you can somehow pull off a 99-01 2jz from japan then your screwed. So heck with that, it is not worth it. Also the frame has to be updated because the torque will bend the solara's unibody. So you need to cut out the c-rails (told that’s what they are called) and replace with something a little stronger. It's a total pain. I looked into doing this for so long and even started but it's not worth it. The only real power option is the 1uz v8. Then it gets to be even more tricky but it can be done and be street legal. That motor can push out over 2000hp if you do a little building and turbo it. :)

Oh yeah, on another note. The solara's engine bay is larger than the supras. We also have a wider wheel base than them (100" to our 105") (Us 190" long to a 178" supra)
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mandarinsolara » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:09 pm

ya i understood this chassis theory before i had a solara.
good thing there are no emissions in florida.
larger wheel base... okay custom length driveshaft
rerouting exhaust pipes? ... you mean those nascar-style side pipes i'll have? mufflers are for the californians (a.k.a. the weak) just playin :)
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Nutty101 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:03 pm

Mandarinsolara wrote:ya i understood this chassis theory before i had a solara.
good thing there are no emissions in florida.
larger wheel base... okay custom length driveshaft
rerouting exhaust pipes? ... you mean those nascar-style side pipes i'll have? mufflers are for the californians (a.k.a. the weak) just playin :)

HAHAHA! Get the smoke stacks for your solara then..
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DatSRBoi » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:18 pm

What? NO emission test? No wonder them cars over there dont get pulled over as much. Luckyass.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby TRD_solaRa » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:36 pm

I am almost certain that ANY ENGINE SWAP is NOT legal . . . at least that is guaranteed in Hawaii. From what I learned from the RECON people is that any "conversion" ie. JDM, lights, engine swaps, etc. done on cars are NOT street legal in the U.S.

Eh yo Mandarinsolara, good luck with your project. It's good to have dreams to aspire towards. Shootz
TRD_solaRa
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Turbosolara » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:45 pm

any jdm engine is illegal i believe. I also never hear ANY RWD solara (beside the drag racing one, streetglow and another one). Also solara certainly not a performance car because the heavy weight and inferior suspension design.

Nutty101 can you tell us what you have done and maybe some pictures?
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby Nutty101 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:39 am

UltraslowSolara wrote:any jdm engine is illegal i believe. I also never hear ANY RWD solara (beside the drag racing one, streetglow and another one). Also solara certainly not a performance car because the heavy weight and inferior suspension design.

Nutty101 can you tell us what you have done and maybe some pictures?

Nothing that anyone hasn't. Unless i'm just brave or something. I have alot of friends with different cars. NSX, bmw's, benz and even a ferrari. I can out handle them easy at highspeed. Even running with a friend at highspeeds in his supra I was flying around turns quicker than him. Shrug..

Tower brace (TRD)
Tk blues
Anti Sway rear (TRD)
Vogotland sport springs

Some other minor items changed but thats really all there is to it. I have kenny's wheels on the car also (19 adr f's with 225 toyo proxys). So really nothing special. Who knows. What problems do you guys have and what speeds are you loosing traction? I really dont have any lean or roll to my car.
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction